Re: Wordpress won't delete

  • Susan Burg
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
      Dennis,

      sounds like Firefox is giving you a hard time...! Write the wordpress
      support team and tell them...they respond immediately. Might be a
      problem with the cache in which case you just have to clean that out
      and easy does it. Presently I have both IE and Mozilla browsers and I
      use my old friend, IE when I open my wordpress blog. Perhaps they are
      imcompatible...(??)

      I know you will figure it out and let us know when you do.

      ;-) Susan

      I am having a terrible time with Wordpress. Suddnely
      > one of the buttons, as I call them, one of the parents, disappeared.
      > (Articles). That meant all the articles on Andrew's site became
      > inaccessible! The "button" in question, ARTICLES, was still in
      manage, but
      > saving it again did nothing.
      >
      > So I created " Access to articles", thought I had solves the
      problem, until
      > I tried it out. Whichever link was cicked from "Access to articles"
      the same
      > article appeared. (Grrrrr......)
      >
      > So I deleted the over-enthusaistic article...No matter. It still appears
      > whatever you click!
      >
      > Bee, too, thinks it might be a browser problem (Firefox) - Firefox, I
      > suspect, working with, or against, gmail will not let me do apostrophes,
      > back slashes and sometime inverted commas.

    • Dennis Newson
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
        Susan,

        Thanks for writing. My solution was to call in St. Bee (Barbara Dieu). She
        says I had been using Wordpress against the grain from the beginning. She
        changed things in the template, and we will see how it goes from now.

        The Firefox problem, I suspect, is a clash with gmail online. I suppose I
        should change programs, but I have got so used to both!

        The problems we have!

        Dennis

      • Dennis Newson
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007
          Susan,

          Hello!

          Am I right? Are you in Venice?

          I have read in several places that cache clearing is crtical for successful
          blogging, especially with Wordpress.

          Can I ask you two Wordpress questions? I think, like my knowledge of WP,
          they are elementary.

          You will see:

          http://andrewanrticlesandstories.wordpress.com

          Barbara Dieu has now cleared up and created a very nice sidebar, which acts
          as an index.

          QUESTION 1

          WHERE!!!!! Sorry, where can I edit the sidebar? How do I get at it?

          QUESTION 2

          My method for putting in new texts, articles or stories is to:

          1. Copy from WORD into NOTEPAD
          2. Paste into NEW PAGE in WP
          3. Publish, making sure the text is under the correct parent (Usually
          Article or Story)
          4. Link to the appropriate 'contents' page by:

          - Writing the name of the text
          - Underlining it
          - Making a link between this list and story/article itself

          QUESTION

          Is all that correct?

          Everything worked well until, suddenly, whatever you clicked on, one and the
          same article appeared!! (That is when I had to call for Barbara).

          Greetings,

          Dennis

        • Barbara Dieu
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007

            > QUESTION 1
            >
            > WHERE!!!!! Sorry, where can I edit the sidebar? How do I get at it?

            You do not edit the sidebar as it it updated directly from whatever you
            publish.
            So to edit the sidebar you need to check your Manage>Pages section to see if
            the story is not there twice. (Check the titles and if they are inserted
            under the correct parent page)

            QUESTION 2

            > My method for putting in new texts, articles or stories is to:
            >
            > 1. Copy from WORD into NOTEPAD
            > 2. Paste into NEW PAGE in WP
            > 3. Publish, making sure the text is under the correct parent (Usually
            > Article or Story)
            > 4. Link to the appropriate 'contents' page by:
            >
            > - Writing the name of the text
            > - Underlining it
            > - Making a link between this list and story/article itself

            This is correct for articles/stories that are formatted in Word. As I have
            created now the sidebar, you may want to do away with the Contents Page. On
            the other hand, it may be a good idea to keep it as it is as these stories
            are classified again under sub-categories which I have not included in the
            sidebar.

            Warm regards,
            Bee

            Barbara Dieu
            http://dekita.org
            http://beewebhead.net

          • Dennis Newson
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007
              Bee and the world - well, the webheads world - thank you but SORRY SORRY! I
              thought my questions were going to an individual.

              Sometimes I try to put one of my many questions to the list to save certain
              webheads from being bombarded with my queries. But these two webheads, and
              Bee is one of them, are always the first to answer my questions from the
              list anyway!

              In gratitude,

              Dennis