Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Wordpress won't delete

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
      Susan,

      I am SO glad you wrote. I am having a terrible time with Wordpress. Suddnely
      one of the buttons, as I call them, one of the parents, disappeared.
      (Articles). That meant all the articles on Andrew's site became
      inaccessible! The "button" in question, ARTICLES, was still in manage, but
      saving it again did nothing.

      So I created " Access to articles", thought I had solves the problem, until
      I tried it out. Whichever link was cicked from "Access to articles" the same
      article appeared. (Grrrrr......)

      So I deleted the over-enthusaistic article...No matter. It still appears
      whatever you click!

      Bee, too, thinks it might be a browser problem (Firefox) - Firefox, I
      suspect, working with, or against, gmail will not let me do apostrophes,
      back slashes and sometime inverted commas.

      You will have gathered that I have tried to help Andrew Wright with his
      blog.

      It is at:

      http:// andrewarticlesandstories.wordpress.com

      That is the site of all my present misery. :-)

      The trouble is, over 2000 people have visited it, and I feel responsibility
      both to them and future users.

      Again,

      Thanks for writing,

      Dennis

      --

      Dennis Newson (retired)
      University Osnabrück

    • Susan Burg
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
        Dennis,

        sounds like Firefox is giving you a hard time...! Write the wordpress
        support team and tell them...they respond immediately. Might be a
        problem with the cache in which case you just have to clean that out
        and easy does it. Presently I have both IE and Mozilla browsers and I
        use my old friend, IE when I open my wordpress blog. Perhaps they are
        imcompatible...(??)

        I know you will figure it out and let us know when you do.

        ;-) Susan

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
          Susan,

          Thanks for writing. My solution was to call in St. Bee (Barbara Dieu). She
          says I had been using Wordpress against the grain from the beginning. She
          changed things in the template, and we will see how it goes from now.

          The Firefox problem, I suspect, is a clash with gmail online. I suppose I
          should change programs, but I have got so used to both!

          The problems we have!

          Dennis

        • Dennis Newson
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007
            Susan,

            Hello!

            Am I right? Are you in Venice?

            I have read in several places that cache clearing is crtical for successful
            blogging, especially with Wordpress.

            Can I ask you two Wordpress questions? I think, like my knowledge of WP,
            they are elementary.

            You will see:

            http://andrewanrticlesandstories.wordpress.com

            Barbara Dieu has now cleared up and created a very nice sidebar, which acts
            as an index.

            QUESTION 1

            WHERE!!!!! Sorry, where can I edit the sidebar? How do I get at it?

            QUESTION 2

            My method for putting in new texts, articles or stories is to:

            1. Copy from WORD into NOTEPAD
            2. Paste into NEW PAGE in WP
            3. Publish, making sure the text is under the correct parent (Usually
            Article or Story)
            4. Link to the appropriate 'contents' page by:

            - Writing the name of the text
            - Underlining it
            - Making a link between this list and story/article itself

            QUESTION

            Is all that correct?

            Everything worked well until, suddenly, whatever you clicked on, one and the
            same article appeared!! (That is when I had to call for Barbara).

            Greetings,

            Dennis

          • Barbara Dieu
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007

              > QUESTION 1
              >
              > WHERE!!!!! Sorry, where can I edit the sidebar? How do I get at it?

              You do not edit the sidebar as it it updated directly from whatever you
              publish.
              So to edit the sidebar you need to check your Manage>Pages section to see if
              the story is not there twice. (Check the titles and if they are inserted
              under the correct parent page)

              QUESTION 2

              > My method for putting in new texts, articles or stories is to:
              >
              > 1. Copy from WORD into NOTEPAD
              > 2. Paste into NEW PAGE in WP
              > 3. Publish, making sure the text is under the correct parent (Usually
              > Article or Story)
              > 4. Link to the appropriate 'contents' page by:
              >
              > - Writing the name of the text
              > - Underlining it
              > - Making a link between this list and story/article itself

              This is correct for articles/stories that are formatted in Word. As I have
              created now the sidebar, you may want to do away with the Contents Page. On
              the other hand, it may be a good idea to keep it as it is as these stories
              are classified again under sub-categories which I have not included in the
              sidebar.

              Warm regards,
              Bee

              Barbara Dieu
              http://dekita.org
              http://beewebhead.net

            • Dennis Newson
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007
                Bee and the world - well, the webheads world - thank you but SORRY SORRY! I
                thought my questions were going to an individual.

                Sometimes I try to put one of my many questions to the list to save certain
                webheads from being bombarded with my queries. But these two webheads, and
                Bee is one of them, are always the first to answer my questions from the
                list anyway!

                In gratitude,

                Dennis