Re: Wordpress won't delete

  • Susan Burg
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
      Dennis, did you save the page after editing it? Try again...I've just
      recently had problems with wordpress after having uploaded Mozzila. I
      couldn't login and finally wrote to the support team for help. all I
      needed to do was to clean out my cache and I was back in business!
      Here is my blog

      http://susaneb.wordpress.com/

      susan ;-)

      > Four hours ago I edited a page, removing the second half. On the
      management
      > page, the text is in its edited version. When I visit the site, though -
      > yes, and press refresh - the deleted passage is still there. How CAN
      I get
      > rid of it?.
      >

      > Dennis
      > --

    • Dennis Newson
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
        Susan,

        I am SO glad you wrote. I am having a terrible time with Wordpress. Suddnely
        one of the buttons, as I call them, one of the parents, disappeared.
        (Articles). That meant all the articles on Andrew's site became
        inaccessible! The "button" in question, ARTICLES, was still in manage, but
        saving it again did nothing.

        So I created " Access to articles", thought I had solves the problem, until
        I tried it out. Whichever link was cicked from "Access to articles" the same
        article appeared. (Grrrrr......)

        So I deleted the over-enthusaistic article...No matter. It still appears
        whatever you click!

        Bee, too, thinks it might be a browser problem (Firefox) - Firefox, I
        suspect, working with, or against, gmail will not let me do apostrophes,
        back slashes and sometime inverted commas.

        You will have gathered that I have tried to help Andrew Wright with his
        blog.

        It is at:

        http:// andrewarticlesandstories.wordpress.com

        That is the site of all my present misery. :-)

        The trouble is, over 2000 people have visited it, and I feel responsibility
        both to them and future users.

        Again,

        Thanks for writing,

        Dennis

        --

        Dennis Newson (retired)
        University Osnabrück

      • Susan Burg
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
          Dennis,

          sounds like Firefox is giving you a hard time...! Write the wordpress
          support team and tell them...they respond immediately. Might be a
          problem with the cache in which case you just have to clean that out
          and easy does it. Presently I have both IE and Mozilla browsers and I
          use my old friend, IE when I open my wordpress blog. Perhaps they are
          imcompatible...(??)

          I know you will figure it out and let us know when you do.

          ;-) Susan

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
            Susan,

            Thanks for writing. My solution was to call in St. Bee (Barbara Dieu). She
            says I had been using Wordpress against the grain from the beginning. She
            changed things in the template, and we will see how it goes from now.

            The Firefox problem, I suspect, is a clash with gmail online. I suppose I
            should change programs, but I have got so used to both!

            The problems we have!

            Dennis

          • Dennis Newson
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007
              Susan,

              Hello!

              Am I right? Are you in Venice?

              I have read in several places that cache clearing is crtical for successful
              blogging, especially with Wordpress.

              Can I ask you two Wordpress questions? I think, like my knowledge of WP,
              they are elementary.

              You will see:

              http://andrewanrticlesandstories.wordpress.com

              Barbara Dieu has now cleared up and created a very nice sidebar, which acts
              as an index.

              QUESTION 1

              WHERE!!!!! Sorry, where can I edit the sidebar? How do I get at it?

              QUESTION 2

              My method for putting in new texts, articles or stories is to:

              1. Copy from WORD into NOTEPAD
              2. Paste into NEW PAGE in WP
              3. Publish, making sure the text is under the correct parent (Usually
              Article or Story)
              4. Link to the appropriate 'contents' page by:

              - Writing the name of the text
              - Underlining it
              - Making a link between this list and story/article itself

              QUESTION

              Is all that correct?

              Everything worked well until, suddenly, whatever you clicked on, one and the
              same article appeared!! (That is when I had to call for Barbara).

              Greetings,

              Dennis

            • Barbara Dieu
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007

                > QUESTION 1
                >
                > WHERE!!!!! Sorry, where can I edit the sidebar? How do I get at it?

                You do not edit the sidebar as it it updated directly from whatever you
                publish.
                So to edit the sidebar you need to check your Manage>Pages section to see if
                the story is not there twice. (Check the titles and if they are inserted
                under the correct parent page)

                QUESTION 2

                > My method for putting in new texts, articles or stories is to:
                >
                > 1. Copy from WORD into NOTEPAD
                > 2. Paste into NEW PAGE in WP
                > 3. Publish, making sure the text is under the correct parent (Usually
                > Article or Story)
                > 4. Link to the appropriate 'contents' page by:
                >
                > - Writing the name of the text
                > - Underlining it
                > - Making a link between this list and story/article itself

                This is correct for articles/stories that are formatted in Word. As I have
                created now the sidebar, you may want to do away with the Contents Page. On
                the other hand, it may be a good idea to keep it as it is as these stories
                are classified again under sub-categories which I have not included in the
                sidebar.

                Warm regards,
                Bee

                Barbara Dieu
                http://dekita.org
                http://beewebhead.net

              • Dennis Newson
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007
                  Bee and the world - well, the webheads world - thank you but SORRY SORRY! I
                  thought my questions were going to an individual.

                  Sometimes I try to put one of my many questions to the list to save certain
                  webheads from being bombarded with my queries. But these two webheads, and
                  Bee is one of them, are always the first to answer my questions from the
                  list anyway!

                  In gratitude,

                  Dennis