Wordpress won't delete

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5 1:07 PM
      Dear Wordpress users.

      Four hours ago I edited a page, removing the second half. On the management
      page, the text is in its edited version. When I visit the site, though -
      yes, and press refresh - the deleted passage is still there. How CAN I get
      rid of it?.

      Dennis
      --

      Dennis Newson (retired)
      University Osnabrück

    • Susan Burg
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6 8:54 AM
        Dennis, did you save the page after editing it? Try again...I've just
        recently had problems with wordpress after having uploaded Mozzila. I
        couldn't login and finally wrote to the support team for help. all I
        needed to do was to clean out my cache and I was back in business!
        Here is my blog

        http://susaneb.wordpress.com/

        susan ;-)

        > Four hours ago I edited a page, removing the second half. On the
        management
        > page, the text is in its edited version. When I visit the site, though -
        > yes, and press refresh - the deleted passage is still there. How CAN
        I get
        > rid of it?.
        >

        > Dennis
        > --

      • Dennis Newson
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6 9:26 AM
          Susan,

          I am SO glad you wrote. I am having a terrible time with Wordpress. Suddnely
          one of the buttons, as I call them, one of the parents, disappeared.
          (Articles). That meant all the articles on Andrew's site became
          inaccessible! The "button" in question, ARTICLES, was still in manage, but
          saving it again did nothing.

          So I created " Access to articles", thought I had solves the problem, until
          I tried it out. Whichever link was cicked from "Access to articles" the same
          article appeared. (Grrrrr......)

          So I deleted the over-enthusaistic article...No matter. It still appears
          whatever you click!

          Bee, too, thinks it might be a browser problem (Firefox) - Firefox, I
          suspect, working with, or against, gmail will not let me do apostrophes,
          back slashes and sometime inverted commas.

          You will have gathered that I have tried to help Andrew Wright with his
          blog.

          It is at:

          http:// andrewarticlesandstories.wordpress.com

          That is the site of all my present misery. :-)

          The trouble is, over 2000 people have visited it, and I feel responsibility
          both to them and future users.

          Again,

          Thanks for writing,

          Dennis

          --

          Dennis Newson (retired)
          University Osnabrück

        • Susan Burg
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 7 7:05 AM
            Dennis,

            sounds like Firefox is giving you a hard time...! Write the wordpress
            support team and tell them...they respond immediately. Might be a
            problem with the cache in which case you just have to clean that out
            and easy does it. Presently I have both IE and Mozilla browsers and I
            use my old friend, IE when I open my wordpress blog. Perhaps they are
            imcompatible...(??)

            I know you will figure it out and let us know when you do.

            ;-) Susan

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 7 7:11 AM
              Susan,

              Thanks for writing. My solution was to call in St. Bee (Barbara Dieu). She
              says I had been using Wordpress against the grain from the beginning. She
              changed things in the template, and we will see how it goes from now.

              The Firefox problem, I suspect, is a clash with gmail online. I suppose I
              should change programs, but I have got so used to both!

              The problems we have!

              Dennis

            • Dennis Newson
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 8 12:36 AM
                Susan,

                Hello!

                Am I right? Are you in Venice?

                I have read in several places that cache clearing is crtical for successful
                blogging, especially with Wordpress.

                Can I ask you two Wordpress questions? I think, like my knowledge of WP,
                they are elementary.

                You will see:

                http://andrewanrticlesandstories.wordpress.com

                Barbara Dieu has now cleared up and created a very nice sidebar, which acts
                as an index.

                QUESTION 1

                WHERE!!!!! Sorry, where can I edit the sidebar? How do I get at it?

                QUESTION 2

                My method for putting in new texts, articles or stories is to:

                1. Copy from WORD into NOTEPAD
                2. Paste into NEW PAGE in WP
                3. Publish, making sure the text is under the correct parent (Usually
                Article or Story)
                4. Link to the appropriate 'contents' page by:

                - Writing the name of the text
                - Underlining it
                - Making a link between this list and story/article itself

                QUESTION

                Is all that correct?

                Everything worked well until, suddenly, whatever you clicked on, one and the
                same article appeared!! (That is when I had to call for Barbara).

                Greetings,

                Dennis

              • Barbara Dieu
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 8 12:54 AM

                  > QUESTION 1
                  >
                  > WHERE!!!!! Sorry, where can I edit the sidebar? How do I get at it?

                  You do not edit the sidebar as it it updated directly from whatever you
                  publish.
                  So to edit the sidebar you need to check your Manage>Pages section to see if
                  the story is not there twice. (Check the titles and if they are inserted
                  under the correct parent page)

                  QUESTION 2

                  > My method for putting in new texts, articles or stories is to:
                  >
                  > 1. Copy from WORD into NOTEPAD
                  > 2. Paste into NEW PAGE in WP
                  > 3. Publish, making sure the text is under the correct parent (Usually
                  > Article or Story)
                  > 4. Link to the appropriate 'contents' page by:
                  >
                  > - Writing the name of the text
                  > - Underlining it
                  > - Making a link between this list and story/article itself

                  This is correct for articles/stories that are formatted in Word. As I have
                  created now the sidebar, you may want to do away with the Contents Page. On
                  the other hand, it may be a good idea to keep it as it is as these stories
                  are classified again under sub-categories which I have not included in the
                  sidebar.

                  Warm regards,
                  Bee

                  Barbara Dieu
                  http://dekita.org
                  http://beewebhead.net

                • Dennis Newson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 8 3:15 AM
                    Bee and the world - well, the webheads world - thank you but SORRY SORRY! I
                    thought my questions were going to an individual.

                    Sometimes I try to put one of my many questions to the list to save certain
                    webheads from being bombarded with my queries. But these two webheads, and
                    Bee is one of them, are always the first to answer my questions from the
                    list anyway!

                    In gratitude,

                    Dennis