Re: [evonline2002_webheads] BubbleShare back/Thanks

  • Monica Wiesmann-Hirchert
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
      Dear Hala!

      Way to go! This is really encouraging news.
      Cheers,
      Monica

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
        Hi Hala,

        Congratulations. There is another interesting side to this story that
        people in the West might not appreciate. And it's the same in the UAE. We
        might have our problems with our communications monopoly here but if you do
        need help you just pick up the phone and call the helpdesk. Someone
        answers. Someone talks you through it.

        That doesn't happen in America any more, at least not in big cities where
        I've been in need of help. If you use the phone you enter a press-a-number
        automated help algorithm designed to put you into a loop until you give up
        or kick you out the other end and restore dialtone. That sends you to the
        online help pages, and we all know about those. The first hour is spent
        trying to remember and recover your user name and password plus any other
        obscure information you can never remember. AOL won't deal with me for
        example unless I can remember the zip code I had 20 years ago.

        I think the human element and the helpful attitude toward service has always
        been one of the charms of living in this part of the world. I know that
        doesn't scale well but where there aren't so many demanding the service, the
        ability to get it personally is certainly refreshing.

        > Earlier on this list, I posted about Bubbleshare being blocked. The
        > day before yesterday ,to my surprise, I found that Blogger com is also
        > blocked! I turned into a mad woman( men know how that would be of
        > course ).I called the telecommunication company, as they put
        > their
        > "how to reach them " button in a big and clear font)After a furious
        > talk, and to my big surprise, the man was very cooperative ,
        > listened attentively , took the URL's and among my speech, I said
        > something about having blocked a website before and I didn't
        > complained. The man was very keen to listen about types of these
        > websites and promised to call back.
        > Guess what? Yesterday, ALL were back with a telephone call of apology
        > .I began to think whether Sudan *really *developing!!!!]
        > Thanks for lending a helping hand . Thanks Vance
        >
        > Hala
        >

        > For more information:

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jane Petring
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
          Hala--congratulations and Vance--thank you for the reminder of the personal touch on the other side of the world.

          I remember when we lived in Niger in the early '80's it was possible to call the States directly from Niamey (the capital), but to call Niamey from the States meant first calling an international operator in Pittsburgh who then had to call an international operator in Paris who was invariably asleep or not answering the phone. If Pittsburgh and Paris deigned to be helpful, then they called an operator in Niamey to make the connection. It could take hours or days to get through.

          Jane

        • Buthaina Al-Othman
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
            Dear Hala,

            All I wanted to say: I LOVE YOU! You made me laugh out loud;
            seriously,I like your subtle sense of humor..Thanks a lot and
            Congratulations....Kuwait is still under-development..Mabrook habibti..

            Buth
            PS Have lots of similar stories with my previous Kuwaiti ISP to tell
            you one day...Hope to meet you face-to-face one day, Hala..Your
            students are surely lucky.

            In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Hala" <haloolahakema@...>
            wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > Earlier on this list, I posted about Bubbleshare being blocked. The
            > day before yesterday ,to my surprise, I found that Blogger com is also
            > blocked! I turned into a mad woman( men know how that would be of
            > course ).I called the telecommunication company, as they
            put their
            > "how to reach them " button in a big and clear font)After a furious
            > talk, and to my big surprise, the man was very cooperative ,
            > listened attentively , took the URL's and among my speech, I said
            > something about having blocked a website before and I didn't
            > complained. The man was very keen to listen about types of these
            > websites and promised to call back.
            > Guess what? Yesterday, ALL were back with a telephone call of apology
            > .I began to think whether Sudan *really *developing!!!!]
            > Thanks for lending a helping hand . Thanks Vance
            >
            > Hala

          • Buthaina Al-Othman
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
              Hala, forgot to let you know that I'm in Beirut, Lebanon; arrived here
              a couple of days ago; eventually, my furniture arrived and will be
              moving from a hotel to my place soon; and of course will be back home
              in Kuwait by the end of this week, since the Spring Semester starts,
              on Sat, Jan 10, 2007.

              All is well here and safe. BTW, this message is also meant to all of
              you Webheads colleagues and friends everywhere...And a big thank you,
              to Vance for all the things he's been doing for us/the world..You,
              Vance, really deserve the Socrates Prize.

              Again, thank you, Vance and all Webheads for everything :)

              Buth

              In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Buthaina Al-Othman"
              <buthaina_3@...> wrote:

              > Dear Hala,
              >
              > All I wanted to say: I LOVE YOU! You made me laugh out loud;
              > seriously,I like your subtle sense of humor..Thanks a lot and
              > Congratulations....Kuwait is still under-development..Mabrook habibti..
              >
              > Buth
              > PS Have lots of similar stories with my previous Kuwaiti ISP to tell
              > you one day...Hope to meet you face-to-face one day, Hala..Your
              > students are surely lucky.
              >
              > In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Hala" <haloolahakema@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello,
              > >
              > > Earlier on this list, I posted about Bubbleshare being blocked. The
              > > day before yesterday ,to my surprise, I found that Blogger com is also
              > > blocked! I turned into a mad woman( men know how that would be of
              > > course ).I called the telecommunication company, as they
              > put their
              > > "how to reach them " button in a big and clear font)After a furious
              > > talk, and to my big surprise, the man was very cooperative ,
              > > listened attentively , took the URL's and among my speech, I said
              > > something about having blocked a website before and I didn't
              > > complained. The man was very keen to listen about types of these
              > > websites and promised to call back.
              > > Guess what? Yesterday, ALL were back with a telephone call of apology
              > > .I began to think whether Sudan *really *developing!!!!]
              > > Thanks for lending a helping hand . Thanks Vance
              > >
              > > Hala

            • Hala Fawzi
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
                Habibati Al Galia Buth,
                I am so sorry for the delay in replying to your sweet message.Lately, I set my email here to "no emails" until baw finishes.You know how it feels !!
                I am so happy for you, changing places will change many other important areas in one's life, to the best of course.I hope it is safe now with all what we I watch on the news.
                Congratulations!
                Are your kids with you?
                Now I have a dear in Lebanon if I thought one day to touch the snow!
                Thank to you too, Buth.You have inspired so many times, and you will always.You also deserve a prize!
                Tight hugs,

                <buthaina_3@...> wrote:

                > Dear Hala,
                >
                > All I wanted to say: I LOVE YOU! You made me laugh out loud;
                > seriously,I like your subtle sense of humor..Thanks a lot and
                > Congratulations....Kuwait is still under-development..Mabrook habibti..
                >
                > Buth
                > PS Have lots of similar stories with my previous Kuwaiti ISP to tell
                > you one day...Hope to meet you face-to-face one day, Hala..Your
                > students are surely lucky.
                >
                > In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Hala" <haloolahakema@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello,
                > >
                > > Earlier on this list, I posted about Bubbleshare being blocked. The
                > > day before yesterday ,to my surprise, I found that Blogger com is also
                > > blocked! I turned into a mad woman( men know how that would be of
                > > course ).I called the telecommunication company, as they
                > put their
                > > "how to reach them " button in a big and clear font)After a furious
                > > talk, and to my big surprise, the man was very cooperative ,
                > > listened attentively , took the URL's and among my speech, I said
                > > something about having blocked a website before and I didn't
                > > complained. The man was very keen to listen about types of these
                > > websites and promised to call back.
                > > Guess what? Yesterday, ALL were back with a telephone call of apology
                > > .I began to think whether Sudan *really *developing!!!!]
                > > Thanks for lending a helping hand . Thanks Vance
                > >
                > > Hala

                Hala in warm Sudan