Re: What I've learned about installing web cams

  • dygonza
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2002
      Dear Vance, my apologies for laughing after so many hours of
      troubleshooting. That's always my reaction when things don't go as
      they should. :-(
      Now that you mention all your ordeal, I remember that when I first
      bought my webcam, the same happened to me, and I thought the driver
      did not work, so I had the computer store change the camera and the
      CD, I also asked them to install it for me. That was right at the
      beginning of our EVOnline sessions, and I did not pay much attention
      to the whole process, now that you describe it, I understand that it
      is just what happened to me. I have just read the instructions for
      installing my webcam and they are the same you mention in your
      message. Should we learn to read? ;-)
      Anyhow, I enjoyed talking to Sus, getting to know your virtual alter
      egos at TI, and finally listening to your "succeed" voice.
      See you all tomorrow and Sunday,

      Daf

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., Vance Stevens <vstevens@e...>
      wrote:
      > I didn't have to deal with why web cams don't work until
      yesterday. By now I have both of mine working again. Here's what I
      found out.

      > Here's how Dafne reacted to the problem, after we had waited 3
      hours for them to configure my computer to allow us to get as far as
      test the web cam broadcast:

      > SusanneN [ready] asks, "Did they open the relevants ports for you?"
      >
      > VanceS [patient] says, "finally"
      >
      > VanceS [patient] says, "and now my web cam is not detected"
      >
      > VanceS [patient] says, "jeezz"
      >
      > DafneG says, "sorry, but I am laughing"
      >
      > I tried reinstalling the cam from its cd. Later I found in reading
      documentation for both my web cams that it's important when
      installing USB web cams that you install the drivers, restart your
      PC, and THEN connect the USB device. I think I might have left the
      web cam plugged in when I tried to reinstall. What this does is
      cause Windows to detect the new hardware and try to find a driver
      before none is available. If you find yourself in this position, you
      should cancel the Windows wizard, unplug the device, install the
      drivers, restart, and then plug in your web cam to let Windows detect
      it. I didn't realize this at the time and fell into the trap, which
      is why I failed to resolve the problem on the spot.

      > I hope this helps Webheads with troubleshooting your web cams.
      >
      > Remember we'll be TESTING again at noon GMT Saturday. If the lab
      is still set up, then that should happen on schedule, and I will have
      to leave by 13:30 even if nothing is working. Then on Sunday, noon
      GMT, the real thing, to 13:00 officially..

      > break a leg,
      > Vance
      >

      > Félix Zaniboni wrote:
      >
      > > Problems in installing web cam? When I bought mine (Creative) I
      spent over a
      > > week installing and re-installing it without any success. One day
      I turn on

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2002
        apologies??!! I thought it was a very appropriate reaction! Same as mine,
        actually.

        Have fun :-))

        Vance