What I've learned about installing web cams

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2002
      I didn't have to deal with why web cams don't work until yesterday. By now I have both of mine working again. Here's what I found out.

      I'm not sure what caused my problem, but it developed on my Intel camera hooked up to my laptop. This is the camera I've been using for almost all our sessions with Webheads, but suddenly yesterday Yahoo would not recognize it and trying to launch it with its own software, I was told another device might be using video capture on my computer, so close it. There was no other device using video capture on my computer, nothing to close, and the web cam didn't work.

      Here's how Dafne reacted to the problem, after we had waited 3 hours for them to configure my computer to allow us to get as far as test the web cam broadcast:

      SusanneN [ready] asks, "Did they open the relevants ports for you?"

      VanceS [patient] says, "finally"

      VanceS [patient] says, "and now my web cam is not detected"

      VanceS [patient] says, "jeezz"

      DafneG says, "sorry, but I am laughing"

      I tried reinstalling the cam from its cd. Later I found in reading documentation for both my web cams that it's important when installing USB web cams that you install the drivers, restart your PC, and THEN connect the USB device. I think I might have left the web cam plugged in when I tried to reinstall. What this does is cause Windows to detect the new hardware and try to find a driver before none is available. If you find yourself in this position, you should cancel the Windows wizard, unplug the device, install the drivers, restart, and then plug in your web cam to let Windows detect it. I didn't realize this at the time and fell into the trap, which is why I failed to resolve the problem on the spot.

      Why would a web cam not work one day, and the next it works fine? This happened to me yesterday and today. I tried installing two cameras, one my Intel and the other a Creative one my son was using. Here's what you look for.

      The Intel camera requires drivers for both the USB controllers and the camera, the Creative USB device installs only a driver for the cam. To see if your drivers are installed, right click on my computer, select properties, and select device manager. The driver for the cameras in both Intel and Creative were installed in the device manager under 'Imaging device'.

      Now here's what confused me: these devices do not appear in the Device Manager until the camera is actually plugged in. There isn't even a category in the list for 'Imaging device' UNTIL the device is actually plugged in. In other words, I would install from the CDRom and then check device manager to see if the drivers were there. They weren't. I would then try to reinstall the drivers, and again not find them in the list. But now I know that once you plug in the device, the devices should appear in the list, one under Imaging device for either the Creative or Intel cam, and two additional drivers under USB controllers in the case of Intel. You can watch this happening if you keep the device manager open while plugging in the device.

      When I finally figured out how to monitor the situation, and plugged in my Intel camera, I saw the device appear, but it had a yellow exclamation point over it, showing that the driver was loaded but not functioning. At that point a wizard appeared and was able to detect and install from the installation CDRom the same driver again, but after that it worked.

      Now my Creative device is not being detected, but ma'alesh.

      In the troubleshooting algorithm for Intel, it told me if I got the USB drivers but not the Imaging device driver then the problem was either defective cam or defective USB port. To check the USB port, install another USB device and see if it works (that's why I installed the Creative cam, which I got working). To check the malfunctioning cam, install it to another computer and see if it works there (I didn't have to, I was able to refresh my driver as mentioned above).

      I hope this helps Webheads with troubleshooting your web cams.

      Remember we'll be TESTING again at noon GMT Saturday. If the lab is still set up, then that should happen on schedule, and I will have to leave by 13:30 even if nothing is working. Then on Sunday, noon GMT, the real thing, to 13:00 officially..

      break a leg,
      Vance

    • dygonza
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2002
        Dear Vance, my apologies for laughing after so many hours of
        troubleshooting. That's always my reaction when things don't go as
        they should. :-(
        Now that you mention all your ordeal, I remember that when I first
        bought my webcam, the same happened to me, and I thought the driver
        did not work, so I had the computer store change the camera and the
        CD, I also asked them to install it for me. That was right at the
        beginning of our EVOnline sessions, and I did not pay much attention
        to the whole process, now that you describe it, I understand that it
        is just what happened to me. I have just read the instructions for
        installing my webcam and they are the same you mention in your
        message. Should we learn to read? ;-)
        Anyhow, I enjoyed talking to Sus, getting to know your virtual alter
        egos at TI, and finally listening to your "succeed" voice.
        See you all tomorrow and Sunday,

        Daf

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., Vance Stevens <vstevens@e...>

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2002
          apologies??!! I thought it was a very appropriate reaction! Same as mine,
          actually.

          Have fun :-))

          Vance