update on testing Thursday

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2002
      Félix, welcome to the Webheads in Action group, and hi to webheads everywhere ...

      I spent 4 hours today on top of the two yesterday working with the HCT people trying to get our presentation working in their lab. As they explained to me, they had spent years trying to prevent students from getting access to synchronous communication (an academic word for 'chat') and now we were undoing all their efforts layer by layer. At the end of the day, here's what we came up with.

      I was able to get my laptop through their firewall and proxy and receive voice and video chat on my laptop. I was able to broadcast voice but was unable to broadcast video due to a problem with the video driver on my laptop. I have since been able to install another web cam on my computer and I've just tested that with Dafne in Spain, so all functions should work at HCT. My laptop will be hooked up to a large screen projector and voice chat from it will be amplified, so it will serve as a presentation computer, where all participants will be able to see your video on my laptop screen and hear your voices.

      They are setting up 20 computers for the audience to participate in the chat, but these computers are being blocked from voice and video (text works fine). Daf and Sus were able to start a voice conference and invite one of these other computers into that conference. The user of that computer will not be able to speak, but s/he can hear the voice conversation from the presentation computer and can respond in text. This is ideal actually, because having 20 participants voice-enabled would seriously degrade the quality of the voice chat.

      So we can have a regular class with voice and video chat, but Tapped In will become crowded, and those in the audience with Yahoo IDs who can get themselves invited to the voice conference will be able to participate in text mode in the voice enabled conference chat. The audience will be able to see your webcams and hear your voices (those of you broadcasting them) and they will be able to communicate in text.

      Any webhead wishing to participate can do so in voice, video or TEXT. The audience will be English teachers, and they would love to hear from student Webheads with limited English skills as well as other teachers using CMC. So if you are worried about your English, DON'T WORRY, the audience will love to talk with you and ask what you are learning from participating in the Webheads projects.

      We will be conducting one more test at noon GMT Saturday. I will try to be there for about an hour. The presentation itself is at noon GMT the next day, Sunday, Sept. 8. Again it will last for one hour or perhaps a little longer.

      HCT is a very well endowed college, they are expecting two or three, or even four, dozen people to attend this presentation, and they are planning to video the session. They are also looking at any way they can record from my computer. This could be a very interesting event.

      Of course, events like this could never take place without you Webheads out there. I would like to thank those who turned up for testing yesterday and waited around for HCT to chip away at their firewall and put me online (names in last email), and today a big thanks to Dafne and Susanne who waited for hours from 7 to after 10 GMT for the configurations to be done at the site before we could finally get online for testing. This really shows dedication and is proof if any were needed of the strength and commitment of our community. I certainly appreciate the participation of all who can help test or attend the session.

      I'm looking forward to next week. Till we meet again,

      Vance

    • Rita Zeinstejer
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2002
        Hi, Vance
        Sorry about not being able to join you tomorrow Saturday, at 9 am here (noon
        GMT) as I have a SIG meeting, which I conduct once a month. But I 'll join
        our Sunday session, hopefully, with my webcam working with the new Yahoo
        Messenger version 5.5 ( which I didn't have last Sunday, so I could not view
        those who had it). Btw, I've seen the image is bigger and clearer than in
        version 5.
        CU then
        Cheers
        Rita