pls. leave a voice message re. Mount Hood incident

  • Aiden Yeh
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2007
      Dear Webheads,

      The last assignment that I gave for my Listening for Practical Applications Class require my students to listen to a news report on CNN Student News. I gave them a couple of questions that they need to answer, but instead of writing down their answers, they need to do a voice recording on Chingo.com (a tool I learned from Dafne). It would be great to hear other people's voice (the more English varieties there are, the better). Please pass this on to your students or better yet you could leave us a message now ;-)

      This task is posted on our class blog at
      http://listening2006.blogspot.com/2006/12/video-cnn-student-news.html

      Details:

      Click here to watch the video.

      After watching the video, go to http://listening2006.blogspot.com/ and click on the Chingo voice message box on the right hand side, and record your answer to the following questions.

      What do you think might motivate someone to climb a mountain? Does mountain climbing appeal to you? Why or why not? What, if any, personal goals do you have to accomplish? To what extent do your goals involve risk? Explain.

      ---
      Thanks :-)

      Aiden

    • N.Q.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2007
        Dear Aiden: I have visited the blogspot and when I want to watch the video, It says I need a CNN Pipeline.
        My question is: when your students need to download this kind of programmes, do you guide them? How do they react to downloading programmes to their computers or do they do it to the computers at school?
        Nelba from ARgentina

        Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@...> escribió:
[...]

        Correo Yahoo!
      • Aiden Yeh
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2007
          Hi Nelba,

          This was an in-class activity. We watched the news in class, did some comprehension exercises, vocab exercises, etc. The voice recording task was an assignment. They knew that they had to download CNN pipeline to be able to watch the news again from home or work. In this case, they have to do this on their own. This is where I let them swim in the open seas and figure things out themselves. If there's any question, I'd be an email away. This kind of assignment is meant to be done outside the classroom. Everyone agreed that such assignments are necessary to enhance their learning. These students are enrolled in the Night School Division; they have full time day jobs and attend a few hours in the evening to complete their BAs. Age range from 25-45. Motivation to learn is not a problem- and they know very well that a 2-hour session in not enough to enhance their language skills. What they're doing on their own helps them to work on their skills and manage their learning. I
          always emphasize this point with my students- if they really want to learn they need to start doing things autonomously. This scheme may not work for all classes or all types of students- as teachers we need to test the waters first before we actually allow them to swim in it.

          Cheers,

          Aiden