Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Vance's article on Second Life - media problem SOLVED

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      This might be my last word on the topic, since Teresa SOLVED my problem.
      Yeah TERESA!!!

      She wrote me offlist (but I put the links to her files at our festive wiki
      http://happywebhead2006-7.pbwiki.com/FrontPage )

      Here's Teresa's message:

      Happy New Year to you all!

      Sorry for the belated tip off list, but I've been using this "embed"
      solution:

      src="http://64.71.48.37/teresadeca/school/sound/xmascd/01holiday.mp3"
      width="120" height="26" type="audio/mpeg" autostart="false"></embed> <font
      color="#ffcc00">Everybody likes to take a holiday</font> </p>

      See how it looks here and while you're at it, listen to my students' (not
      all) singing!
      http://fwe2.motime.com/post/629940/Merry+Christmas%21%21%21

      Hugs, Teresa

      and the solution to the problem, as should be obvious to all by now ...
      surely you can see it ...

      autostart="false">

      So Teresa wins the prize for the simplest solution, though I really like the
      PodcastPickle Podplayer from
      http://www.podcastpickle.com/app/player/free.php that Andreas suggested. In
      the end I went with the embed because on my computer it launches Quicktime
      and you can see when the file has loaded in (QT shows the progress of
      download as well as 'state of play', convenient).

      BUT that's on MY computer. What about on yours? When you play this page:
      http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/secondlife_edu.htm
      What media player do you see? I suspect what is launched depends how the
      file associations have been set on the various media players that
      proliferate on most of our computers.

      In order to document this for future reference, I've created a tutorial on
      the topic here:
      a.. http://www.vancestevens.com/audio.htm#tutorial
      a.. http://www.prof2000.pt/users/vstevens/audio.htm#tutorial

      Hope it helps, and thanks for helping me to get to the bottom of this,

      HNY!

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2007
        Hi, Vance!

        I'm glad that my option (which isn't mine, but Aiden's, I believe) worked.

        And "thank you!" for "Teresa wins the prize for the simplest solution"! What
        a way to start the new year! :-))

        I also like Andreas' solution (PPP: cute name!). The second option didn't
        load. It took ages!!! The third just opens a rectangle but no command
        buttons. And the fourth opens... nothing!!! :-(

        When I open
        http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/secondlife_edu.htm
        it launches Quicktime for a few seconds, but then just the bar in my option
        stays. BTW, I generally use WMPlayer, but I'm not sure if that's my default
        media player

        HNY!

        Hugs, Teresa