WebQuests, Motivation, and EFL

  • Nellie Deutsch
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 24, 2006
      Hi everyone and a happy holiday season. As most of you know, I am
      currently a doctoral student at the University of Phoenix online
      program in education, leadership, curriculum, and instruction. As
      much as I love researching and writing papers, I have to come up
      with a research problem for my dissertation. I am interested in
      online learning, WebQuests, and ways of integrating technology into
      the EFL/ESL classroom. I am also interested in coaching and
      relationship education as a way to improve learning. The WebQuest
      seems to have everything I am interested in: teamwork and social
      skills, higher order critical thinking skills, and learning by
      means of technology. But, I can't come up with a problem statement.

      I have two weeks to think things out and finalize my research
      problem. I hope I am not inconveniencing you but I feel you may be
      able to help me.

      Thank you.

      Have a wonderful holiday season and a Happy New Year.

      Nellie Deutsch
      http://www.nelliemuller.com
      http://www.building-relationship.com/education
      http://www.integrating-technology.com/education
      University of Phoenix Doctoral Student
      UOP Email: nelliemuller@...
      Alternative nellie.muller.deutsch@...
    • smokolo
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 25, 2006
        Hi Nellie,

        I just got my Masters a few days ago so I can understand how you
        feel. I felt like I was lost in a sea of information and didn't know
        where or how to focus. I was/am attracted to certain kinds of e-
        learning, authors, and ideas but didn't know how to get started (and
        it was scarey at first...)

        I found that once I started writing it all took form. It started to
        gel. I have been writing since I was very young and I know you have
        to start by writing anything that comes to mind - without giving it
        too much thought- and then your thoughts come together. Knowing this
        made me calmer about my thesis and it worked for me.

        Good luck and keep the webheads in touch with your progress!

        Xmas greetings from Italy
        Susan

        The WebQuest
        > seems to have everything I am interested in: teamwork and social
        > skills, higher order critical thinking skills, and learning by
        > means of technology. But, I can't come up with a problem statement.

      • sharonholdner
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 27, 2006
          Hi Nellie,

          The teamwork component is a challenge to many in the multi-
          cultural classroom, because as you may know, various cultures have
          differing views of the values of and the responsibilities in team-
          based work.

          You'd have plenty of fertile ground to research and explore right in
          the University of Phoenix, where all grad and undergrad classes
          (onground, online and Flexnet) require teamwork.

          Research into multi-cultural learning teams in an online or blended
          (Flexnet) environment would yield a study and publication that could
          apppeal to a large audience of educators who work in these settings ;-
          )-- me included.

          Sharon