Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Troubleshooting Wiki or Help Space

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 4, 2006
      Howdy all.....

      Think I agree with Eric here, though I prefer using email for just
      about everything! I kind of keep my own library of stuff that I glean
      from Webheads and other lists but that doesn't make them accessible
      to others of course.

      I'd argue that if we were all more vigilant about providing accurate
      subject headers in our emails then searching our email archives is a
      reasonable proposition. But that probably isn't going to happen ;-)
      And a lot of forum software actually has a 'send to email' function
      anyway (like Moodle) so that keeps the likes of me happy.

      It will be interesting to see what traffic such a service might get
      Dennis. I just know that with me, if it doesn't come into my email
      inbox I'm a million times less likely to follow something up elsewhere.

      - Michael.

      ----------

      At 07:41 PM 4/12/2006, you wrote:

      >Hi Dennis and all,
      >
      >I'd say a discussion forum would fit the bill best for the following
      >reasons:
      >
      >* it becomes a repository for information for subsequent people with similar
      >problems
      >* it can be very helpful for a subsequent person to see a troubleshooting
      >dialog unfold, which a Wiki doesn't really allow - with a Wiki you end up
      >with one end result, and while you may be able to view a changelog, it's
      >much more cumbersome than with a discussion forum
      >* discussion forums can usually be easily searched, unlike an e-mail list
      >
      >The fact that just about every product manufacturer uses a discussion forum
      >for support indicates that this is the most suitable technology, and the one
      >most users are most comfortable and familiar with.
      >
      >Eric

      >Checked by AVG Free Edition.

    • Barbara Dieu
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 4, 2006
        No Dennis...I do not think that blogs fit this purpose and I remain divided
        between a wiki and a forum for troubleshooting. Although BirgitĀ“s arguments
        are sound, I'd rather use wikis for building content together, collaborative
        work (like wikiversity, wikibooks). From what I have seen, most open
        source and WEB 2.0 developers use forums for troubleshooting and blogs for
        announcing developments or updates. There must be a reason for it.
        Warm regards,
        Bee

        --
        Barbara Dieu
        http://dekita.org

      • Dennis Newson
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 4, 2006
          Michael,

          If we are talking not about 'best practice' but 'own practice', I have to
          confess again that I rely totally on what I get as an email - even if it is
          a reminder ( plus link) to check on a particular site, wiki or blog. It is
          just a fact that I cannot build into my daily routines moving away from
          emails to my reader or aggregator. At the very least I must make myself use
          an interface where from which both email program and aggregator are
          clickable.

          I send this confession to the last partly to reassure others who may have
          such bad habits, but also in case anyone has some advice to share on how to
          get the aggregator habit. Vance, of course, posted about bloglines earlier
          today.

          Dennis

        • Gavin Dudeney
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 4, 2006
            Sus and others,

            A couple of excellent print-and-keep-next-to-your-computer guides to Sl
            here:

            HYPERLINK
            "blocked::http://www.combinedstory.com/tutorials.html"http://www.combinedsto
            ry.com/tutorials.html

            Gavin

            c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
            Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
            HYPERLINK "http://www.theconsultants-e.com/"http://www.theconsultants-e.com

            Sponsors of the 2006 UK Moodle Conference - HYPERLINK
            "http://www.moodlemoot.org/"http://www.moodlemoot.org
            Owners of the Second Life educational sim EduNation - HYPERLINK
            "http://tinyurl.com/yehbto"http://tinyurl.com/yehbto

            CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

            _____

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 4, 2006
              Dennis--
              I think a wiki would be preferable. Professional software companies
              don't use them because (a) they started with forums and it would be a
              lot of trouble to change, (b) there should be someone to tend the wiki
              occasionally, and (c) wiki access means the whole thing could be
              changed by some malicious nut case, but that would be OK in a closed
              community like Webheads (no malicious nut cases here, right?)

              Anyone who is serious about adding to a topic could join the wiki, and
              that would also protect the wiki.

              A wiki could be easily organized by topic and comments could be added
              in a list under the topic (as in a Moodle forum, for example). The
              wiki owner could do occasional sorting, deleting redundancies, and
              editing, if needed (as they do in Learning with Computers). Any
              community member could add a page for a new topic, reply to a prior
              comment, or add to the general knowledge about something, et al.

              Changes to a wiki can be sent as a post to one's email via Feedblitz,
              so interested members could go to the wiki to read it, or get it in
              their mailbox, as preferred. (See <http://www.feedblitz.com>. The neat
              thing is that all your subscriptions to whatever wiki or group can
              arrive in one Feedblitz email--much easier than going to Bloglines and
              figuring out what you want to read.)

              So a wiki is a little trouble, but I think the organizational benefits
              are great. We've used them pretty successfully in several groups I
              belong to, so it just needs someone (you?) to jump in and open one up,
              and then invite us Webheads to join in the fun. I'd recommend either
              PBwiki or WikiSpaces, or any wiki that will let you use html to some
              degree.

              Cheers--
              --Elizabeth

              PS: Firefox opens slowly for me, too, but MS Word is about twice as
              bad... Have you tried setting your home page to blank, and not online?
              Part of the time is establishing a connection to the Internet. Part is
              opening whatever is on your homepage.

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Newson"