Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Troubleshooting

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2006
      You raise great points, Dennis. One of your contributions to webheads is
      that you are a test case, in a way, but unlike other test cases, you DO NOT
      GIVE UP. And that's why we will eventually resolve your problems.

      Let me offer one hint that is often productive for me. If I encounter a
      problem and an error message, I will enter the error message and the
      application (ventrilo for example) into Google and let it find solutions for
      me. Often these error messages have been posted to a geek's list somewhere
      and some other geek has come up with the solution.

      You are suggesting creating a separate list, but check out google and see if
      there isn't already a list somewhere that's handled that particular problem.

      Candy has a quicktime problem, and perhaps she can reach a solution in the
      same way.

      Well, try that, and if you still can't work it out, just write the list
      back. We won't give up either,

        --

        Dennis Newson (retired)
        University Osnabrück

      • Clair
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2006
          Dennis,
          I get frustrated too.

          I found this ad on the free help campaign. I haven't asked for help
          yet but I bookmarked it just in case.
          http://tinyurl.com/yfzcnj

          The free help campaign looks like a lovely idea...
          clair

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Newson"
          <djn@...> wrote:

          > May I share a frustration that I have had for a long time? I just
          do not
          > know enough about how PCs and programs work and the more time I spend
          > experimenting with beta versions, and the more I use the Internet using
          > sound and images as well as words to communicate with people like
          > yourselves, the more I feel in urgent need of doing something about my
          > ignorance.
        • Dennis Newson
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2006
            Vance,

            Thanks for the encouragement.

            Clair,

            Thanks for the Freehelp reference. I am going to set up something - there is
            nothing to be lost - but am wondering whether to make it a list or a wiki. I
            will keep the list informed

            Dennis

          • Nina Liakos
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
              <djn@...> wrote:

              > May I share a frustration that I have had for a long time? I just
              do not
              > know enough about how PCs and programs work...

              Oh Dennis, I do share your feelings! I am so NOT A TECH PERSON and
              when stuff doesn't work it really makes me nuts. Currently I am
              dealing with a misbehaving printer and my DVD player just went on the
              fritz. I have been fortunate in getting help for some things from
              fellow webheads--they are just great (Vance has helped me out a lot,
              as have Carla and Chrissan) but some things are really tough to figure
              out. I wish I had a little tech genie living in my house or on call
              all the time!!