RE: [evonline2002_webheads] Re:conference on online communities

  • Csoma Katalin
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 30, 2006
      Thank you for you note, Sophie, I'm sure I'll learn something,

      Kati

      _____

      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2006
        Dear Sophie,

        I've been with Webheads since 2001 and would be very happy to help you.

        where will you call on us for virtual presence? I will be around by then
        and willing to jump in if possible. If you prefer so I could make my
        statement and post as audio.

        yours,

        Sus Nyrop

        http://worldofwebheads.blogspot.com

        2006/11/30, Sophie and Yiannis <yiansoph@...>:

        > Kati
        >
        > It's just a one-day conference with a local focus so it hasn't been
        > advertised internationally.
        >
        > What I can do is post the link of the ppts when they are uploaded.
        >
        > Smiles
        > Sophie

      • Michael Coghlan
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 1, 2006
          Sophie - this is not a great time for me but I'll try and do a short
          podcast before your session. OK?

          - Michael.

          ----------

          At 11:39 AM 29/11/2006, you wrote:

          >I've posted this a couple of days ago but I don't think it was sent
          >to the group so I'm resending it. I hope that some of you find a bit
          >of time to help : )
          >
          >Smiles
          >Sophie
          >
          >--------------------------------
          >
          >Dear friends,
          >
          >A while back many of you helped answer a survey on online
          >communites, which was part of a project to encourage the creation of
          >online teacher communities in the country I'm based in, Cyprus.
          >
          >There were a couple of small minor pilots to encourage development
          >of such communities but have been unsuccessful. This coming Saturday
          >(2nd December) we have a conference on "Online Teacher Communities".
          >There will be guest speakers from abroad and workgroups will also
          >present on their pilot projects.
          >
          >When I realised that a number of workgroups hadn't had positive
          >results, I was concerned as I believe that we should give the
          >teachers a number of positive examples. My survey had positive
          >results, but I have asked for some time in the conference programme
          >for a chance to bring some of you there (virtually) so that
          >conference delegates will have a chance to hear, directly from you,
          >your experiences of belonging to an online teacher community. I
          >think that your positive experiences can overcome the potential
          >stress or fear which may exist.
          >
          >I would be so very grateful if some of you could attend. This will
          >be on Saturday 2nd December at about 12:15 (GMT+2). We have only
          >been given 15 minutes so even if only a few of you could come, it
          >would make a big difference.
          >
          >This relates back to recent conversations as to how difficult it is
          >to get colleagues interested in technology. And isn't it ironic,
          >when we are here trying out so many exciting implementations of
          >technology, when so many teachers do not seem to be interested
          >enough to use their emails?
          >
          >If you could help, please email me. I'll get back to you with
          >details and confirmation of time in the next couple of days. I'm
          >also hoping to try out the connection a couple of days before. What
          >tools do you think we should use on such an occasion?
          >
          >Many, many thanks
          >Sophie

          >Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        • Graham Stanley
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 2, 2006
            Hi Venny,

            yes, it is a video. It's a Quicktime video, so perhaps your computer
            doesn't have this installed?

            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 2, 2006
              I was able to both view and hear the MOV file at the URL given below.

              I have placed the link under the heading Why Bother with Second Life? at the
              page that can be accessed at the following locations:
              a.. http://www.vancestevens.com/secondlife_edu.htm
              b.. http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/secondlife_edu.htm
              c.. http://www.prof2000.pt/users/vstevens/secondlife_edu.htm
              I thought this presentation addressed that question very nicely. I wonder
              if a presentation such as this would serve as the one-page memorandum Terry
              Freedman says, in his K-12 presentation on arguing a case for Web 2.0 tools,
              that should be prepared for administrators as an opening salvo in making
              that case (other salvos being anticipate objections, having thought through
              the next step, etc.) http://k12onlineconference.org/?p=72. Those who know
              me will realize I'm being facetious (again), that of course, administrators
              who need concepts distilled to one-page memos would not be interested in
              viewing a video file, even one so concise and graphic as this one, but I
              understand Terry's point, that to be a change agent it is crucial to target
              the wider audience, and the file does indeed contain bullet points that
              could go into such a memo, and once you have their attention, the MOV file
              would be excellent ammo in a follow-on presentation.

              I have had to cut short a diving / hiking trip to Oman this weekend due to
              rains which are uncommon in the region. I'm back home now and have been
              handed a couple of unanticipated days to gather information such as
              Graham's, prepare an initial summary, get the wiki up on the topic of Second
              Life, and invite you to augment and contibute, if you wish.

              More on that soon,

              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 2, 2006
                Hi Vance,
                Thanks for updating your page about Second Life.
                http://www.vancestevens.com/secondlife_edu.htm

                I think that's a very useful list of links and info there.
                I noticed the Ventrilo one has an *r* missing and takes users to air
                conditioning site or something so I thought I'd mention that seeing
                as you are back home.

                Gavin's Ventrilo tips are:

                1) Download the Ventrilo Client - HYPERLINK
                "http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php"http://www.ventrilo.com/downloa
                d.php
                (client, not server)
                2) Install the client on your machine
                3) Run the software and add a new user name for yourself
                4) Add a new server
                5) Name - Edunation
                6) I.P. - 87.117.195.90
                7) Port - 4237

                Hope that helps.
                Sorry to hear you didn't get the well deserved break and a fews days
                in the open air ;-)
                Vale
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 2, 2006
                  Thanks Valentina,

                  Voice audio?? Huh? I thought we were talking about enhancing the second
                  life experience with climate control. You can either take the climate as it
                  changes through day and night or force it with everyone getting on the same
                  ventilo server and buying sweaters or bathing suits with Linden dollars as
                  the server works through bluetooth with the remote device that controls your
                  a/c settings.

                  ok, so I've changed the link back to VentRilo. Everyone likes to talk about
                  the weather but nobody ever does anything about it.

                  I also put Gavin's more explicit instructions there. Thanks for repeating
                  them (and Gavin, now that I know which server we are on, I realize I know
                  the password, so you don't have to send it to me ;-)

                  Don't you just love the way Second Life intrudes on first? This morning, I
                  did something very unusual. First, I slept for 8 or 9 hours. Then rather
                  than wake up in a drizzle on a wilderness trail 2000 meters up a cold
                  mountain in Oman somewhere, and wonder if my car was parked in the middle of
                  a flash flood in the wadi below, I woke up in my bed and rather than leave
                  it immediately, I switched on the news channels (to get alternative news
                  reports in case Amy Goodman missed anything out on democracynow.org) and
                  started checking email on my wireless, and somewhere along about my second
                  cup of coffee Click Online comes on BBC and next thing I know my TV looks
                  like webhead land as some bloke (trainslation: British dude) who makes money
                  on Second Life tries to explain to a series of incredulous (and carefully
                  chosen) common folk how the environment works and how people can actually
                  buy and sell there, illustrating his concepts by navigating his avatar
                  through what is to webheads familiar territory.

                  I immediately went on the web site and tried to find the URL in order to
                  share it, but it might be easier to find it in the archive after today
                  because today's program (Dec 1 is what's there now) at
                  http://bbc.co.uk/click is not broken down into topics yet (though you can
                  see the interview with MySpace CEO Chris DeWolfe). Also, my Real media
                  client gave me the following message (but maybe it will help you reach the
                  URL, eventually)

                  Server has reached its capacity and can serve no more streams. Please try
                  again later.
                  rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/news/olmedia/n5ctrl/tvseq/od/bbc1/nb/rm/video/click_nb.rm?start="04:02.0"

                  ok, I'm giving up on my idea to sell climate control through ventilo for
                  linden dollars, and getting back to getting the collaborative writing wiki
                  online at some point this weekend.

                  best,

                  > Thanks for updating your page about Second Life.
                  > http://www.vancestevens.com/secondlife_edu.htm
                  >
                  > I think that's a very useful list of links and info there.
                  > I noticed the Ventrilo one has an *r* missing and takes users to air
                  > conditioning site or something so I thought I'd mention that seeing
                  > as you are back home.
                  >
                  > Gavin's Ventrilo tips are:
                  >
                  > 1) Download the Ventrilo Client - HYPERLINK
                  > "http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php"http://www.ventrilo.com/downloa
                  > d.php
                  > (client, not server)
                  > 2) Install the client on your machine
                  > 3) Run the software and add a new user name for yourself
                  > 4) Add a new server
                  > 5) Name - Edunation
                  > 6) I.P. - 87.117.195.90
                  > 7) Port - 4237
                  >
                  > Hope that helps.
                  > Sorry to hear you didn't get the well deserved break and a fews days
                  > in the open air ;-)
                  > Vale

                • Candace Pauchnick
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 2, 2006
                    Hello Graham and Venny,
                    I, too, am not able to open the video. I can only hear the audio as well. My computer does have Quicktime so this surprised me. This is the message I receive when I try to open the video:

                    "QuickTime is missing software required to perform this operation. Unfortunately, it is not available on the QuickTime server."

                    I was so surprised since I just bought this brand new computer within this last month. (My home was broken into and my computer was stolen so I now have everything brand new.) I even updated my QuickTime program and it still doesn't work.

                    I went to the QuickTime website and downloaded the most recent version and it still doesn't work. I have a Dell Computer with Windows XP. Graham, do you have any suggestions for me as to how I can access the video you created? I would be most grateful. I would really like to see your video section and not only just be able to hear the audio section.
                    Candy Pauchnick

                    Graham Stanley <blogefl@...> wrote:
                    Hi Venny,

                    yes, it is a video. It's a Quicktime video, so perhaps your computer
                    doesn't have this installed?

                    On 12/1/06, Venny Sou <venny_sou@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Graham,
                    >
                    > Is this a video record
                    > (http://www.pod-efl.com/video/Web%202.0%20&%20Language%20Learning.mov)? Why
                    > I can only hear your audio?

                  • Graham Stanley
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 2, 2006
                      Hi Candy & Venny,

                      See if this is better:

                      I've uploaded the video here:

                      http://www.grouper.com/video/MediaDetails.aspx?id=1653082&ml=fi%3d%26fu%3d580290&

                      Hope you can see it now,

                      Graham

                      On 12/2/06, Candace Pauchnick <pauchnick@...> wrote:

                      > Hello Graham and Venny,
                      > I, too, am not able to open the video. I can only hear the audio as well.
                      > My computer does have Quicktime so this surprised me. This is the message I
                      > receive when I try to open the video:
                      >
                      > "QuickTime is missing software required to perform this operation.
                      > Unfortunately, it is not available on the QuickTime server."
                      >
                      > I was so surprised since I just bought this brand new computer within this
                      > last month. (My home was broken into and my computer was stolen so I now
                      > have everything brand new.) I even updated my QuickTime program and it still
                      > doesn't work.
                      >
                      > I went to the QuickTime website and downloaded the most recent version and
                      > it still doesn't work. I have a Dell Computer with Windows XP. Graham, do
                      > you have any suggestions for me as to how I can access the video you
                      > created? I would be most grateful. I would really like to see your video
                      > section and not only just be able to hear the audio section.
                      > Candy Pauchnick

                    • Candace Pauchnick
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 2, 2006
                        Thank you, Graham!!! I just finished watching the video and it is so awesome!!!! I appreciate you posting it here so very much. I sure would like to show this to my school's administration! They are in the dark with most everything you talk about. It is a masterpiece!

                        Also, to you Vance, thank you for the great suggestion of trying to post my problem on Google. I will experiment with that idea and see if I can resolve my problem with QuickTime.

                        Candy

                        Graham Stanley <blogefl@...> wrote:
                        Hi Candy & Venny,

                        See if this is better:

                        I've uploaded the video here:

                        http://www.grouper.com/video/MediaDetails.aspx?id=1653082&ml=fi%3d%26fu%3d580290&

                        Hope you can see it now,

                        Graham

                        On 12/2/06, Candace Pauchnick <pauchnick@...> wrote:

                        > Hello Graham and Venny,
                        > I, too, am not able to open the video. I can only hear the audio as well.
                        > My computer does have Quicktime so this surprised me. This is the message I
                        > receive when I try to open the video:
                        >
                        > "QuickTime is missing software required to perform this operation.
                        > Unfortunately, it is not available on the QuickTime server."
                        >
                        > I was so surprised since I just bought this brand new computer within this
                        > last month. (My home was broken into and my computer was stolen so I now
                        > have everything brand new.) I even updated my QuickTime program and it still
                        > doesn't work.
                        >
                        > I went to the QuickTime website and downloaded the most recent version and
                        > it still doesn't work. I have a Dell Computer with Windows XP. Graham, do
                        > you have any suggestions for me as to how I can access the video you
                        > created? I would be most grateful. I would really like to see your video
                        > section and not only just be able to hear the audio section.
                        > Candy Pauchnick

                      • Candace Pauchnick
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 2, 2006
                          Vance and Venny,
                          After using your suggestion, Vance, and googling my problem about QuickTime, I was able to fix my problem and can now view Graham's video using his original link with QuickTime. Venny, you may want to look at this web site:
                          http://www.stretchinternet.com/videofaq.html#missing and downloading the newest version, 7.0. (It's free.) I hope this will help you as it helped me. This way I know I will be able to view other QuickTime videos.
                          Very happy in San Diego,
                          Candy

                          Candace Pauchnick <pauchnick@...> wrote:
                          Hello Graham and Venny,
                          I, too, am not able to open the video. I can only hear the audio as well. My computer does have Quicktime so this surprised me. This is the message I receive when I try to open the video:

                          "QuickTime is missing software required to perform this operation. Unfortunately, it is not available on the QuickTime server."

                          I was so surprised since I just bought this brand new computer within this last month. (My home was broken into and my computer was stolen so I now have everything brand new.) I even updated my QuickTime program and it still doesn't work.

                          I went to the QuickTime website and downloaded the most recent version and it still doesn't work. I have a Dell Computer with Windows XP. Graham, do you have any suggestions for me as to how I can access the video you created? I would be most grateful. I would really like to see your video section and not only just be able to hear the audio section.
                          Candy Pauchnick

                          Graham Stanley <blogefl@...> wrote:
                          Hi Venny,

                          yes, it is a video. It's a Quicktime video, so perhaps your computer
                          doesn't have this installed?

                          On 12/1/06, Venny Sou <venny_sou@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Graham,
                          >
                          > Is this a video record
                          > (http://www.pod-efl.com/video/Web%202.0%20&%20Language%20Learning.mov)? Why
                          > I can only hear your audio?

                        • Venny Sou
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 2, 2006
                            Hi Candy and Graham and Webheads,

                            I got up early on Sunday to fix the QuickTime problem as I though to upgrade its version yesterday when I went to bed. After upgrading and finally saw Graham's nice Video, I log in my email and want to tell everybody that you need a QuickTime7.0 to work on Grahma's video. Canday is ahead of me to experience this process;) I like Webheads soooo much whenever I'm confusing with some tech problem, I know I'm not alone as there's someone somewhere in the webheads working on the same problem and we'll solve it;)

                            Thanks, Canday, Grahma and Webheads.

                            Candace Pauchnick <pauchnick@...> wrote:
                            Vance and Venny,
                            After using your suggestion, Vance, and googling my problem about QuickTime, I was able to fix my problem and can now view Graham's video using his original link with QuickTime. Venny, you may want to look at this web site:
                            http://www.stretchinternet.com/videofaq.html#missing and downloading the newest version, 7.0. (It's free.) I hope this will help you as it helped me. This way I know I will be able to view other QuickTime videos.
                            Very happy in San Diego,
                            Candy

                            Candace Pauchnick <pauchnick@...> wrote:
                            Hello Graham and Venny,
                            I, too, am not able to open the video. I can only hear the audio as well. My computer does have Quicktime so this surprised me. This is the message I receive when I try to open the video:

                            "QuickTime is missing software required to perform this operation. Unfortunately, it is not available on the QuickTime server."

                            I was so surprised since I just bought this brand new computer within this last month. (My home was broken into and my computer was stolen so I now have everything brand new.) I even updated my QuickTime program and it still doesn't work.

                            I went to the QuickTime website and downloaded the most recent version and it still doesn't work. I have a Dell Computer with Windows XP. Graham, do you have any suggestions for me as to how I can access the video you created? I would be most grateful. I would really like to see your video section and not only just be able to hear the audio section.
                            Candy Pauchnick

                            Graham Stanley <blogefl@...> wrote:
                            Hi Venny,

                            yes, it is a video. It's a Quicktime video, so perhaps your computer
                            doesn't have this installed?

                            On 12/1/06, Venny Sou <venny_sou@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Graham,
                            >
                            > Is this a video record
                            > (http://www.pod-efl.com/video/Web%202.0%20&%20Language%20Learning.mov)? Why
                            > I can only hear your audio?

                            The heart of education is made up of two elements:
                            love and a willingness to set an example for children.

                            Su, Cheng-chao
                            http://www.opensource.idv.tw/
                            http://TaiMOO.ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/
                          • FOCUS - INGLES EMPRESARIAL
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 2, 2006
                              It really worked for me as well!

                              Great video and clear presentation of the tools available.

                              Thanks Graham.

                              alicia
                              > I, too, am not able to open the video. I can only hear the audio as well.
                              > My computer does have Quicktime so this surprised me. This is the message I
                              > receive when I try to open the video:
                              >
                              > "QuickTime is missing software required to perform this operation.
                              > Unfortunately, it is not available on the QuickTime server."
                              >
                              > I was so surprised since I just bought this brand new computer within this
                              > last month. (My home was broken into and my computer was stolen so I now
                              > have everything brand new.) I even updated my QuickTime program and it still
                              > doesn't work.
                              >
                              > I went to the QuickTime website and downloaded the most recent version and
                              > it still doesn't work. I have a Dell Computer with Windows XP. Graham, do
                              > you have any suggestions for me as to how I can access the video you
                              > created? I would be most grateful. I would really like to see your video
                              > section and not only just be able to hear the audio section.
                              > Candy Pauchnick

                            • Candace Pauchnick
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 2, 2006
                                Venny,
                                Your email made me smile. :-) Thanks for sharing.
                                Candy

                                Venny Sou <venny_sou@...> wrote:
                                Hi Candy and Graham and Webheads,

                                I got up early on Sunday to fix the QuickTime problem as I though to upgrade its version yesterday when I went to bed. After upgrading and finally saw Graham's nice Video, I log in my email and want to tell everybody that you need a QuickTime7.0 to work on Grahma's video. Canday is ahead of me to experience this process;) I like Webheads soooo much whenever I'm confusing with some tech problem, I know I'm not alone as there's someone somewhere in the webheads working on the same problem and we'll solve it;)

                                Thanks, Canday, Grahma and Webheads.

                                Candace Pauchnick <pauchnick@...> wrote:
                                Vance and Venny,
                                After using your suggestion, Vance, and googling my problem about QuickTime, I was able to fix my problem and can now view Graham's video using his original link with QuickTime. Venny, you may want to look at this web site:
                                http://www.stretchinternet.com/videofaq.html#missing and downloading the newest version, 7.0. (It's free.) I hope this will help you as it helped me. This way I know I will be able to view other QuickTime videos.
                                Very happy in San Diego,
                                Candy

                                Candace Pauchnick <pauchnick@...> wrote:
                                Hello Graham and Venny,
                                I, too, am not able to open the video. I can only hear the audio as well. My computer does have Quicktime so this surprised me. This is the message I receive when I try to open the video:

                                "QuickTime is missing software required to perform this operation. Unfortunately, it is not available on the QuickTime server."

                                I was so surprised since I just bought this brand new computer within this last month. (My home was broken into and my computer was stolen so I now have everything brand new.) I even updated my QuickTime program and it still doesn't work.

                                I went to the QuickTime website and downloaded the most recent version and it still doesn't work. I have a Dell Computer with Windows XP. Graham, do you have any suggestions for me as to how I can access the video you created? I would be most grateful. I would really like to see your video section and not only just be able to hear the audio section.
                                Candy Pauchnick

                                Graham Stanley <blogefl@...> wrote:
                                Hi Venny,

                                yes, it is a video. It's a Quicktime video, so perhaps your computer
                                doesn't have this installed?

                                On 12/1/06, Venny Sou <venny_sou@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Graham,
                                >
                                > Is this a video record
                                > (http://www.pod-efl.com/video/Web%202.0%20&%20Language%20Learning.mov)? Why
                                > I can only hear your audio?

                                The heart of education is made up of two elements:
                                love and a willingness to set an example for children.

                                Su, Cheng-chao
                                http://www.opensource.idv.tw/
                                http://TaiMOO.ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/

                              • YD Chen
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 2, 2006
                                  Hi,Candy,
                                  It seems you are online right now. still working on the Quicktime?
                                  Any updates about SLers?
                                  It is a cloudy Sunday morning here but i can birds singing outside.
                                  Hope to catch you online soon.
                                  Yaodong