RE: [evonline2002_webheads] Re:Getting lost/familiar with Wonderland

  • Csoma Katalin
    Message 1 of 39 , Nov 27, 2006
      Hi All,

      Unfortunately, I missed the meeting yesterday the same way as Dennis as I
      was early, but thank you very much for sharing the minutes and your pix.
      Seems like you had a lively session.

      I would like to proudly share it with you that the most popular online
      Hungarian news portal (index.hu) is opening its SL headquarters in these
      very moments, so I can't wait to get off work and join their poolside party
      tonight at Rydal (141,220,31).

      Yesterday a cheerful Italian gave me a Babbler translator so we started
      teaching each other Italian and Hungarian using English as the common
      language, which was real fun, especially that we were figure ice-skating
      meanwhile.

      Hope to meet you in SL next Sunday,

      Kati

      _____

        Sus, it's great to see more non-English-oriented organisations
        entering SL. I wonder, is 24Timer the first non-English language
        newspaper with a presence in SL? Probably.

        One thing I imagine will come if SL continues to grow as it has done,
        is multi-lingual interface and support. Already there are specific
        language groups in SL (I'm a member of 'Segunda Vida', a lively
        Spanish-speaking group, who regularly organise meet-ups)

        On Tuesday night, I was able to participate in Virtual Bacon's
        presentation for the Info Island (Second Life Library) 'National Games
        Week' celebrations - it was a lively talk (audio, using an
        Elluminate-type of environment), with lots of comments and questions
        from the audience (using text chat), and talking to Virtual Bacon
        afterwards was very interesting too - he's agreed to present at the
        'Digital Gaming and Language Learning' evo, which is fabulous as he's
        an excellent speaker who is highly committed and knowledgeable about
        educational gaming.

        Afterwards, I joined an intermediate building class at the Second Life
        Academy, learning how to make a set of sliding glass doors! I was able
        to talk to the instructor afterwards, and she gave me some very
        interesting info about a SL language game.

        One of the great things about this environment is the ease at which
        you can meet interesting people. I think the key to this is to use
        your profile (as with any social networking site) - add information
        about what you're interested in, etc, and you'll probably get fewer
        random rude people bother you (this is the only SL virtual nose-punch
        I can offer Susan Marandi!). That, and join groups that interest you,
        and choose the SL places you visit carefully (as in RL).

        > Did anyone see a
        > virtual mirror anywhere? Or a script for clothes pattern design?

        Sus, when you're editing your clothes, if you select the 'texture'
        option, you can change the pattern design. You can select from any
        texture you have in your inventory. I have a lot of textures I can
        give you if you don't like the ones you have, and you can also upload
        any design you like as a jpg file and use it as a texture.

        This is a good place to learn more: (you'll need to login with your SL name)

        http://forums. <http://forums.secondlife.com/> secondlife.com/

        Afterwards

        I'll ask Baldric to post more about these events on his blog and then
        to let you all know,

        :)