Re: cross-cultural humor

  • dygonza
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10 2:42 AM
      Hello Arlyn and All,
      Talking about sarcasm and culture, I have a very sarcastic sense of
      humor, while my father does not understand it at all. Maybe because
      his bedroom is located to the North of the house and mine to the
      South (this sounds like Feng Shui) Or perharps because he is a
      Sagitarius and I am a Libra.

      Cheers ;-)
      Daf

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., Arlyn Freed <aiteachesl@y...>
      wrote:
      > Just a quick note on this topic -- something I've
      > given some real thought to...
      >
      > A friend (French, but living in the US for 10 years)
      > said the biggest difference for him was that in France
      > only educated (university and higher) people used (and
      > understood) sarcasm and to use it added status to the
      > speaker. Whereas in the US, he found that everyone
      > used and understood sarcasm (and it is a big part of
      > our humor).
      >
      > I can't say I agree with him completely -- I've run
      > into several situations in the Midwest where my
      > sarcastic attempts at humor were greeted with blanks
      > looks. But I'm from the Northeast coast and that may
      > have something to do with it.
      >
      > For more on this, contact Elizabeth Specker for her
      > studies using US tv situation comedies in the ESL
      > classroom.
      > http://www.esl.ohio-state.edu/ALP/Alumni/AWinstructors.html#beth
      > All the best,
      > Arlyn
      > http://www.eslhome.com
      >
      > =====
      > Your new home for ESL...http://www.eslhome.com

      > http://www.hotjobs.com
    • Michael Coghlan
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11 12:52 AM
        At 09:42 AM 10/08/2002 +0000, you wrote:
        >Hello Arlyn and All,
        >Talking about sarcasm and culture, I have a very sarcastic sense of
        >humor, while my father does not understand it at all. Maybe because
        >his bedroom is located to the North of the house and mine to the
        >South (this sounds like Feng Shui) Or perharps because he is a
        >Sagitarius and I am a Libra.

        Ah...so humour has nothing to do with culture but is all in the stars????
        Maybe you're right Daf! Perhaps we could do a conference session on this topic?

        - Michael C.