Re: cross-cultural humor

  • Arlyn Freed
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2002
      Just a quick note on this topic -- something I've
      given some real thought to...

      A friend (French, but living in the US for 10 years)
      said the biggest difference for him was that in France
      only educated (university and higher) people used (and
      understood) sarcasm and to use it added status to the
      speaker. Whereas in the US, he found that everyone
      used and understood sarcasm (and it is a big part of
      our humor).

      I can't say I agree with him completely -- I've run
      into several situations in the Midwest where my
      sarcastic attempts at humor were greeted with blanks
      looks. But I'm from the Northeast coast and that may
      have something to do with it.

      For more on this, contact Elizabeth Specker for her
      studies using US tv situation comedies in the ESL
      classroom.
      http://www.esl.ohio-state.edu/ALP/Alumni/AWinstructors.html#beth
      All the best,
      Arlyn
      http://www.eslhome.com

      =====
      Your new home for ESL...http://www.eslhome.com

      HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
      http://www.hotjobs.com
    • dygonza
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2002
        Hello Arlyn and All,
        Talking about sarcasm and culture, I have a very sarcastic sense of
        humor, while my father does not understand it at all. Maybe because
        his bedroom is located to the North of the house and mine to the
        South (this sounds like Feng Shui) Or perharps because he is a
        Sagitarius and I am a Libra.

        Cheers ;-)
        Daf

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., Arlyn Freed <aiteachesl@y...>
        wrote:
        > Just a quick note on this topic -- something I've
        > given some real thought to...
        >
        > A friend (French, but living in the US for 10 years)
        > said the biggest difference for him was that in France
        > only educated (university and higher) people used (and
        > understood) sarcasm and to use it added status to the
        > speaker. Whereas in the US, he found that everyone
        > used and understood sarcasm (and it is a big part of
        > our humor).
        >
        > I can't say I agree with him completely -- I've run
        > into several situations in the Midwest where my
        > sarcastic attempts at humor were greeted with blanks
        > looks. But I'm from the Northeast coast and that may
        > have something to do with it.
        >
        > For more on this, contact Elizabeth Specker for her
        > studies using US tv situation comedies in the ESL
        > classroom.
        > http://www.esl.ohio-state.edu/ALP/Alumni/AWinstructors.html#beth
        > All the best,
        > Arlyn
        > http://www.eslhome.com
        >
        > =====
        > Your new home for ESL...http://www.eslhome.com

        > http://www.hotjobs.com
      • Michael Coghlan
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 11, 2002
          At 09:42 AM 10/08/2002 +0000, you wrote:
          >Hello Arlyn and All,
          >Talking about sarcasm and culture, I have a very sarcastic sense of
          >humor, while my father does not understand it at all. Maybe because
          >his bedroom is located to the North of the house and mine to the
          >South (this sounds like Feng Shui) Or perharps because he is a
          >Sagitarius and I am a Libra.

          Ah...so humour has nothing to do with culture but is all in the stars????
          Maybe you're right Daf! Perhaps we could do a conference session on this topic?

          - Michael C.