Re: [evonline2002_webheads] CCC: relative distance

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8 6:15 AM
      At 11:09 PM 7/08/2002 +0000, you wrote:
      >Hi there,
      >
      >I have been reading the messages related to CCC on the list as well
      >as the texts we wrote for the online conference, and for a couple of
      >days something has been bothering me without being able to put it
      >into words or even having a coherent thought. But I think that I have
      >finally been able to have some ideas clear. What bothers me is the
      >stereotyping of cultures by countries, hemispheres, continents,
      >religions, etc. One country, a city, a town, even a dwelling may have
      >different individuals who have different learning styles, different
      >sense of humor, different religions, belong to different political
      >parties, and have different ideas of what is a delicious meal, or
      >about the best way to spend a holiday.

      I agree totally Daf. If you listen to my spoken intro on our conference
      page (now available for Windows and Macs!) you'll notice that I am saying a
      similar thing.

      So we share the view that CCC approaches are often based on stereotypical
      images of cultures. Perhaps all seminars, workshops, classes should all be
      dispensed with and we just to learn how to communicate with *individuals*?

      It is interesting to speculate though on what aspects of your own culture
      would you be proud to have other people recognise in you. For example, what
      is Venezuelan about you that you are proud of? And what aspects of your
      culture affect the way you communicate, and particularly, the way you
      communicate with people from other cultures? I could ask myself the same
      question about my Australian - ness. And Shun about being Japanese; Sus
      being Danish, etc

      <cut>

      > I do not believe that there are "cultural" learning
      >styles; learning styles are individual, and that's why I firmly
      >believe in Gardner's Multiple Intelligence theory. Which leads us to
      >Michael's question? What strategies do we teach for the integration
      >of our students in a new culture? Different strategies depending on
      >the students. Flexibility, open-mindedness, curiosity, are some of
      >the words that come to my mind in terms of defining teachers'
      >attitudes when designing a syllabus, and that should be fostered in
      >students to face the world around them. CMC is a door to get there,
      >it is on us teachers, to open it.
      >Sorry about the length, I just got carried away with my thoughts,
      >Any comments?

      What strategies do we teach for the integration
      of our students in a new culture?

      >It might be good to have a brainstorm on this question in our chat. Maybe
      >in TI? maybe in the conference chat?

      - Michael C.