CCC: relative distance

  • dygonza
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2002
      Hi there,

      I have been reading the messages related to CCC on the list as well
      as the texts we wrote for the online conference, and for a couple of
      days something has been bothering me without being able to put it
      into words or even having a coherent thought. But I think that I have
      finally been able to have some ideas clear. What bothers me is the
      stereotyping of cultures by countries, hemispheres, continents,
      religions, etc. One country, a city, a town, even a dwelling may have
      different individuals who have different learning styles, different
      sense of humor, different religions, belong to different political
      parties, and have different ideas of what is a delicious meal, or
      about the best way to spend a holiday. We are raised according to our
      family "culture", then when start socializing we interact with
      people from different "family cultures" and when we go to school, we
      are influenced by the "school culture" which is a reflection of the
      curriculum and the politics and philosophies behind it. The more
      contact we have with different people, our horizons expand and we
      learn to appreciate others' ideas, others' traditions. We belong to
      different cultures, each community we belong, according to our
      professions, hobbies, sports, etc has a different culture created by
      the individuals who conform it. We create consciously or
      unconsciously our rules of behavior, our private jokes, our jargon,
      we can infer what other's are trying to say, because we have a
      closer "relative distance" with the members. When we know more about
      the members, less words need to be said for understanding to take
      place. That's why when you get to a new community, Tapped In for
      example, you have to follow the same rules and strategies we follow
      when we go to a place we have never been before, we observe, we
      listen, and little by little we start to interact until we become
      part of that community, no matter where the members come from, we
      have a common objective for being in that community, whatever the
      objective is. If in our process of observation we like what we see,
      we try eagerly to integrate; in some cases, we need to integrate to
      survive. This is the case when we get to a new job or a new school;
      it does not have to be in a different country, continent or
      hemisphere. I do not believe that there are "cultural" learning
      styles; learning styles are individual, and that's why I firmly
      believe in Gardner's Multiple Intelligence theory. Which leads us to
      Michael's question? What strategies do we teach for the integration
      of our students in a new culture? Different strategies depending on
      the students. Flexibility, open-mindedness, curiosity, are some of
      the words that come to my mind in terms of defining teachers'
      attitudes when designing a syllabus, and that should be fostered in
      students to face the world around them. CMC is a door to get there,
      it is on us teachers, to open it.
      Sorry about the length, I just got carried away with my thoughts,
      Any comments?

      Daf
    • Michael Coghlan
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2002
        At 11:09 PM 7/08/2002 +0000, you wrote:
        >Hi there,
        >
        >I have been reading the messages related to CCC on the list as well
        >as the texts we wrote for the online conference, and for a couple of
        >days something has been bothering me without being able to put it
        >into words or even having a coherent thought. But I think that I have
        >finally been able to have some ideas clear. What bothers me is the
        >stereotyping of cultures by countries, hemispheres, continents,
        >religions, etc. One country, a city, a town, even a dwelling may have
        >different individuals who have different learning styles, different
        >sense of humor, different religions, belong to different political
        >parties, and have different ideas of what is a delicious meal, or
        >about the best way to spend a holiday.

        I agree totally Daf. If you listen to my spoken intro on our conference
        page (now available for Windows and Macs!) you'll notice that I am saying a
        similar thing.

        So we share the view that CCC approaches are often based on stereotypical
        images of cultures. Perhaps all seminars, workshops, classes should all be
        dispensed with and we just to learn how to communicate with *individuals*?

        It is interesting to speculate though on what aspects of your own culture
        would you be proud to have other people recognise in you. For example, what
        is Venezuelan about you that you are proud of? And what aspects of your
        culture affect the way you communicate, and particularly, the way you
        communicate with people from other cultures? I could ask myself the same
        question about my Australian - ness. And Shun about being Japanese; Sus
        being Danish, etc

        <cut>

        > I do not believe that there are "cultural" learning
        >styles; learning styles are individual, and that's why I firmly
        >believe in Gardner's Multiple Intelligence theory. Which leads us to
        >Michael's question? What strategies do we teach for the integration
        >of our students in a new culture? Different strategies depending on
        >the students. Flexibility, open-mindedness, curiosity, are some of
        >the words that come to my mind in terms of defining teachers'
        >attitudes when designing a syllabus, and that should be fostered in
        >students to face the world around them. CMC is a door to get there,
        >it is on us teachers, to open it.
        >Sorry about the length, I just got carried away with my thoughts,
        >Any comments?

        What strategies do we teach for the integration
        of our students in a new culture?

        >It might be good to have a brainstorm on this question in our chat. Maybe
        >in TI? maybe in the conference chat?

        - Michael C.