Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: CCC online - the keys?

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2002
      At 11:50 PM 6/08/2002 -0300, Rita wrote:

      >Hi, Michael,
      >Yes, I remember comparing American/ English "humour" with Spanish humour
      >since it´s a feature that´s permanently calling my attention in our online
      >exchanges. And one of the features I enjoy most. The use of spontaneous
      >puns and understatements, as well as the display of wit, is a
      >characteristic which should be appreciated and understood, but which is
      >very difficult to imitate "from abroad". People here tend to be either
      >overtly humourous or standoffish. TV fosters "blatant" language, while
      >teachers demand "solemnity". Still in a process of change, I guess.
      >It´s quite enriching to hear and compare more...
      This is where CCC is fascinating IMHO. And I think many find these
      intrinsic differences in how we communicate an endless source of amazement.
      If we can pinpoint examples like this in our conference sessions (in live
      chat and asynchronous forums), participants in our sessions will go away
      happy. Especially if we can suggest strategies to cope with these
      differences in communication styles.

      Webheads is ideally placed to monitor these kinds of differences because of
      the nature of our community. Does anyone have any other examples? But again
      as Vance says (and reading through our presentations this is more the focus
      of our collective thinking I think), despite all our differences, perhaps
      we are more alike than we are different?

      So, what are the keys to successful CCC - particularly online? Any thoughts?

      About humour: I lived in Holland for a few years and was surprised at the
      number of TV shows that also displayed blatant, unsophisticated humour.
      Humour is an important area of CCC. Does anyone have any other examples?

      - Michael C.