Re: CCC online participants

  • Susanne Nyrop
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5 8:22 AM
      Hi Michael,

      yesterday after our usual Webhead Sunday class, Dafne, Rita & I started to
      discuss some details about your conference session.

      First of all, we would like to be well prepared, tecvhnically spoken: do
      you plan to use our well estabished, common playground Tapped In as the
      locus In for our synchronous chat, or do we have to prepare for more
      experimental situations?

      We also wanted to know more about how to join other sessions; as far as we
      understand, those of us who are by now registered for your Cross Cultural
      Communication session, would also have access to participate in other
      actiovities. Do we have to register for those?

      We decided that we liked your viewpoint - that the most interesting
      communication may occur whenever we, as CCC participants are acting as
      ourselves, not trying to adapt politely to what we think other cultures
      might expect from us. This is when a real exchange of ideas and
      possiblility to compare and take interest in our local and cultural
      differences will happen.

      Sus
    • Michael Coghlan
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6 5:59 AM
        Sus - see answers inline below:

        At 05:22 PM 5/08/2002 +0200, you wrote:
        >Hi Michael,
        >
        >yesterday after our usual Webhead Sunday class, Dafne, Rita & I started to
        >discuss some details about your conference session.
        >
        >First of all, we would like to be well prepared, tecvhnically spoken: do
        >you plan to use our well estabished, common playground Tapped In as the
        >locus In for our synchronous chat, or do we have to prepare for more
        >experimental situations?

        We will have to use the software (chat and forums) that the conference
        provides. It won't be Tapped In, but neither will it require any new skills
        on our part. They are fairly straightforward chat and forum tools.

        >We also wanted to know more about how to join other sessions; as far as we
        >understand, those of us who are by now registered for your Cross Cultural
        >Communication session, would also have access to participate in other
        >actiovities. Do we have to register for those?

        I hope that in the next 48 hours I can provide everyone with your usernames
        and password. As far as I understand this should give you access to the
        entire conference. No one *has to* participate in other sessions, but I
        hope you do. Many people at these kinds of conferences just go and lurk,
        and that is quite acceptable. Just think of it as having a free pass to an
        entire conference!

        I guess it's possible that some sessions may require people to pre-register
        but we will only know that when the conference site is open and all session
        details available.

        >We decided that we liked your viewpoint - that the most interesting
        >communication may occur whenever we, as CCC participants are acting as
        >ourselves, not trying to adapt politely to what we think other cultures
        >might expect from us. This is when a real exchange of ideas and
        >possiblility to compare and take interest in our local and cultural
        >differences will happen.

        I'm 'glad' we agree on this. I know Vance also feels strongly about this
        too. I think a key to successful CCC is approaching it as a journey of
        discovery. But we do need to be alert for areas of possible
        misunderstanding. I think it was Rita who mentioned in our session earlier
        this year that Spanish speakers, for example, tend to be more serious than
        Americans and Australians online. Was that correct Rita?

        - Michael C.
      • vance_stevens
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6 6:39 AM
          Just chatting to Daf now. Did she mention by chance that she had seen
          me just before the chat mentioned below? That was a coincidence. It
          wasn't that I had messed up on when noon GMT was in Leh, it was that
          I had failed to notice anything in my environment to suggest to me
          that it was Sunday. I missed the chat because I didn't know it was
          Sunday.

          Anyway, I'm about to go on an 8 day trek with my family, horses
          carrying our gear. So next Sunday will come and go. The following
          Sunday I'll be somewhere in Rajastan perhaps and will try to make it
          a point to get online for half an hour or so.

          And I'll monitor emails to see if there is any way I can join
          Michael's session Aug 21. I'll try to steal a glance at a calendar
          now and then.

          Next email checkin for me will be Aug 15. See you then,

          Vance

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., "Susanne Nyrop"
          <susanne.nyrop@s...> wrote:
          > Hi Michael,
          >
          > yesterday after our usual Webhead Sunday class, Dafne, Rita & I
          started to
          > discuss some details about your conference session.
          >
          > First of all, we would like to be well prepared, tecvhnically
          spoken: do
          > you plan to use our well estabished, common playground Tapped In as
          the
          > locus In for our synchronous chat, or do we have to prepare for more
          > experimental situations?
          >
          > We also wanted to know more about how to join other sessions; as
          far as we
          > understand, those of us who are by now registered for your Cross
          Cultural
          > Communication session, would also have access to participate in
          other
          > actiovities. Do we have to register for those?
          >
          > We decided that we liked your viewpoint - that the most interesting
          > communication may occur whenever we, as CCC participants are acting
          as
          > ourselves, not trying to adapt politely to what we think other
          cultures
          > might expect from us. This is when a real exchange of ideas and
          > possiblility to compare and take interest in our local and cultural
          > differences will happen.
          >
          > Sus
        • Shunichiro Ito
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7 4:31 AM
            Michael and others,
            I'm in Los Aneles now at 4:30 am local time. Couldn't sleep and started working on an Internet Roacming connection.
            I got it to work finally and read your mails exchanged. Will follow your thread and will try to join you at Tapped In Sunday.
            I presume it's at the usual time for Webheads.

            Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...> wrote: Sus - see answers inline below:

            At 05:22 PM 5/08/2002 +0200, you wrote:
            >Hi Michael,
            >
            >yesterday after our usual Webhead Sunday class, Dafne, Rita & I started to
            >discuss some details about your conference session.
            >
            >First of all, we would like to be well prepared, tecvhnically spoken: do
            >you plan to use our well estabished, common playground Tapped In as the
            >locus In for our synchronous chat, or do we have to prepare for more
            >experimental situations?

            We will have to use the software (chat and forums) that the conference
            provides. It won't be Tapped In, but neither will it require any new skills
            on our part. They are fairly straightforward chat and forum tools.

            >We also wanted to know more about how to join other sessions; as far as we
            >understand, those of us who are by now registered for your Cross Cultural
            >Communication session, would also have access to participate in other
            >actiovities. Do we have to register for those?

            I hope that in the next 48 hours I can provide everyone with your usernames
            and password. As far as I understand this should give you access to the
            entire conference. No one *has to* participate in other sessions, but I
            hope you do. Many people at these kinds of conferences just go and lurk,
            and that is quite acceptable. Just think of it as having a free pass to an
            entire conference!

            I guess it's possible that some sessions may require people to pre-register
            but we will only know that when the conference site is open and all session
            details available.

            >We decided that we liked your viewpoint - that the most interesting
            >communication may occur whenever we, as CCC participants are acting as
            >ourselves, not trying to adapt politely to what we think other cultures
            >might expect from us. This is when a real exchange of ideas and
            >possiblility to compare and take interest in our local and cultural
            >differences will happen.

            I'm 'glad' we agree on this. I know Vance also feels strongly about this
            too. I think a key to successful CCC is approaching it as a journey of
            discovery. But we do need to be alert for areas of possible
            misunderstanding. I think it was Rita who mentioned in our session earlier
            this year that Spanish speakers, for example, tend to be more serious than
            Americans and Australians online. Was that correct Rita?

            - Michael C.

            Syllabus:

          • Michael Coghlan
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 7 6:18 AM
              At 04:31 AM 7/08/2002 -0700, you wrote:

              >Michael and others,
              >I'm in Los Aneles now at 4:30 am local time. Couldn't sleep and started
              >working on an Internet Roacming connection.
              >I got it to work finally and read your mails exchanged. Will follow your
              >thread and will try to join you at Tapped In Sunday.
              >I presume it's at the usual time for Webheads.

              Yes Shun. It will be the usual time. I hope you get over your jetlag soon.
              What are you doing in LA? Is it just for vacation purposes?

              - Michael C.