Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: CALL Course Collaboration Possibilities

  • Dafne
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
      Dear Jeff,

      I have been teaching 2 CALL courses for the last 2
      years: "The use of technologies in Language Learning
      and Teaching" in an Applied Linguistics Masters
      Program and "Collaborative environments on the Web"
      in a Specialization on Informatics and Education, and
      I don't use any course book. There are so many useful,
      interesting, and updated resources on the web, that I
      don't consider it necessary. Furthermore, you can
      always get virtual guest speakers (I do that) to talk
      about specific aspects of your syllabus.

      My two cents,

      Daf

    • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
        Hi Jeff--
        Hope this doesn't conflict with your EVO Webcasting session!

        I had "A Brief History of CALL" published in the CATESOL Journal a
        year or two ago--you are welcome to use it, and it is a history of
        CALL pedagogy, which might be useful.

        Let me know and I'll send you an electronic copy.

        Cheers--
        --Elizabeth

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2006
          Hi Jeff,

          If anyone were to write a Wikibook on CALL you would be the man. I'd be
          interested in working with you on that one.

          There was an interesting CALL History set up in conjunction with one of the
          World CALL conferences but according to
          http://www.camsoftpartners.co.uk/docs/Futurelab_CALL_Article.htm#hofcall\

          History of CALL: http://www.history-of-call.org Dead link - site in process
          of being rescued. The archives of this site can still be accessed via the
          Wayback Machine (the Web Archive) at http://www.archive.org

          I tried the get to the archive but it's blocked here in UAE. Why do I put
          up with this??

          History of CALL in Google turned up interesting results, including a
          Wikipedia article which steered me to the next link I would myself have
          recommended. BTW, you were asking about a textbook. I would have suggested
          that History of CALL site to begin with and secondly, via this link
          http://www.llas.ac.uk/resources/goodpractice.aspx?resourceid=61, this one:

          For a comprehensive overview of CALL see ICT4LT Module 1.4, Introduction to
          Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL): http://www.ict4lt.org/.

          And finally I'd wrap up with the current state of play as given by:

          Coming of Age: An Introduction to the NEW Worldwide Web
          http://www.shambles.net/web2/comingofage/

          And steer them to your podcasts of course, and good luck with it,