CALL Course Collaboration Possibilities

  • jefflebow
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
      Dear Webheads,

      After a three year hiatus from teaching, it looks like I'll be
      returning to the classroom this January to teach a Computer Assisted
      Language Learning course. I'm very excited about the possibilities,
      but just starting to grapple with the challenge of balancing my desire
      to focus on all the amazing new collaborative technologies with the
      necessity of adequately covering related pedagogy, theory, and
      research. I know there are good textbooks out there (some written by
      Webheads), but I can't find any that were published in the 'Web 2.0
      era'. Any and all recommendations for existing textbooks welcome,
      although in these times of warp speed webolution, it's hard to imagine
      any textbook staying current for very long.

      Of course, my first reaction is to contemplate creating a multimedia,
      interactive, collaboratively produced, open source online learning
      thingy (still not sure what to call that kind of thing - wikibook,
      course guide, ???).
      I envision things like producing a 'history of CALL' section that
      included recordings of interviews with those involved during the
      early days of CALL, along with written and oral discussions about
      early challenges and how the field evolved. Of course, I think the
      real challenge will be applying existing pedagogy and research to how
      the technology is being used now. I realize that coordinating these
      kinds of collaborative endeavors can sometimes consume more energy
      than they're worth, so it might make sense to start small with
      something like a few instructors collaborating to produce supplemental
      materials.

      So, what do you think? Has anything like this already been produced?
      Are there any CALL instructors or others who would be interested in
      collaborating on something like this? If anyone is interested in
      discussing possibilities, please let me know - I'd love to webcast a
      brainstorming session sometime soon and in the meantime welcome any
      thoughts, suggestions, cautions, or questions.

      Thanks,
      Jeff
    • Eric Baber
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
        Hi Jeff,

        My colleague David Smith and I wrote a book very recently that might fit the
        bill to some extent - "Teaching English with Information Technology",
        http://tinyurl.com/cufpp . You can view an extract here
        http://tinyurl.com/yh7aol . It's not mega-advanced but aimed at the
        "average" classroom teacher (and we all know that Webheads are well above
        average :-)) but should hopefully contain some useful tips.

        Cheers

        Eric
      • (Seyyedeh) Susan Marandi
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
          Dear Jeff,

          As my Webhead friends from the EVO coordinating team already know, I
          have recently managed to get a two-credit course on CALL approved
          for the first time ever in Iran for our new TEFL PhD program. The
          actual course is probably still a year or two away, but I will
          probably be teaching it myself despite my still being a relative
          newbie. (A very clear case of "In the city of the blind, the one-
          eyed man is king"!!! :-)) Having said that, I'm aware that I
          probably wouldn't be much help to you. But if you needed any help
          with the menial work! :-), I'd be glad to do whatever I can. I'm
          sure it would be good experience for me, and that I'd learn a lot
          from you. At the same time, I don't want to tie you down either, so
          whatever you think works best for you is okay with me! :-)

          Either way, good luck with your class!

          Warm wishes,
          Susan Marandi @>---;-

          Susan Marandi, PhD
          Head of English Department
          Al-Zahra (aka Azzahra) University
          Tehran, Iran

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "jefflebow"
          <jefflebow@...> wrote:

          > Dear Webheads,
          >
          > After a three year hiatus from teaching, it looks like I'll be
          > returning to the classroom this January to teach a Computer
          Assisted
          > Language Learning course. ...
          >
          > Of course, my first reaction is to contemplate creating a
          multimedia,
          > interactive, collaboratively produced, open source online learning
          > thingy (still not sure what to call that kind of thing - wikibook,
          > course guide, ???).
          > I envision things like producing a 'history of CALL' section that
          > included recordings of interviews with those involved during the
          > early days of CALL, along with written and oral discussions about
          > early challenges and how the field evolved. Of course, I think the
          > real challenge will be applying existing pedagogy and research to
          how
          > the technology is being used now. ...
          > Are there any CALL instructors or others who would be interested
          in
          > collaborating on something like this? If anyone is interested in
          > discussing possibilities, please let me know - I'd love to webcast
          > brainstorming session sometime soon and in the meantime welcome any
          > thoughts, suggestions, cautions, or questions.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Jeff

        • Dafne
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
            Dear Jeff,

            I have been teaching 2 CALL courses for the last 2
            years: "The use of technologies in Language Learning
            and Teaching" in an Applied Linguistics Masters
            Program and "Collaborative environments on the Web"
            in a Specialization on Informatics and Education, and
            I don't use any course book. There are so many useful,
            interesting, and updated resources on the web, that I
            don't consider it necessary. Furthermore, you can
            always get virtual guest speakers (I do that) to talk
            about specific aspects of your syllabus.

            My two cents,

            Daf

          • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
              Hi Jeff--
              Hope this doesn't conflict with your EVO Webcasting session!

              I had "A Brief History of CALL" published in the CATESOL Journal a
              year or two ago--you are welcome to use it, and it is a history of
              CALL pedagogy, which might be useful.

              Let me know and I'll send you an electronic copy.

              Cheers--
              --Elizabeth

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2006
                Hi Jeff,

                If anyone were to write a Wikibook on CALL you would be the man. I'd be
                interested in working with you on that one.

                There was an interesting CALL History set up in conjunction with one of the
                World CALL conferences but according to
                http://www.camsoftpartners.co.uk/docs/Futurelab_CALL_Article.htm#hofcall\

                History of CALL: http://www.history-of-call.org Dead link - site in process
                of being rescued. The archives of this site can still be accessed via the
                Wayback Machine (the Web Archive) at http://www.archive.org

                I tried the get to the archive but it's blocked here in UAE. Why do I put
                up with this??

                History of CALL in Google turned up interesting results, including a
                Wikipedia article which steered me to the next link I would myself have
                recommended. BTW, you were asking about a textbook. I would have suggested
                that History of CALL site to begin with and secondly, via this link
                http://www.llas.ac.uk/resources/goodpractice.aspx?resourceid=61, this one:

                For a comprehensive overview of CALL see ICT4LT Module 1.4, Introduction to
                Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL): http://www.ict4lt.org/.

                And finally I'd wrap up with the current state of play as given by:

                Coming of Age: An Introduction to the NEW Worldwide Web
                http://www.shambles.net/web2/comingofage/

                And steer them to your podcasts of course, and good luck with it,