SV: WCE: Re: Virtual rooms

  • Anne Fox
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hi Moira
      Hoping you won't read this until you have had a very well-deserved
      rest. Anyone who was part of last weekend's Open course must realise
      what a huge amount of time you put into it and to very good effect.

      Leaving the discussion forums open would not put you as the course
      organiser under any obligation to continue your participation. I
      think it is only fair that the 'teaching contract element' of such
      weekends is clearly spelled out and that the
      teacher/trainer/facilitator feels fully entitled to withdraw after
      the contracted period. You recognise yourself in your writings the
      value of post course activity and in fact this is something which we
      have been pushing as good practice in two linked European projects I
      have been associated with recently.

      The other topic was the misconceptions people had of what the
      weekend was about. That is regrettable but should not be confused
      with the development of the conversation thread which might go in a
      completely different direction especially once the teacher has
      withdrawn. I think that is OK.

      I must admit that I joined because you were demonstrating Dimdim
      which I have been dying to try out for weeks now. You could put me
      down as someone who was already convinced of the need for the human
      touch in web based learning and was seeking after the perfect tool
      to achieve this.
      Bon repos
      Anne

      > I write further "In order to sustain professional development,
      some element of continuity is required."

      > So, what is the solution for free open weekends in Knowplace or
      EVO sessions or WiAOC? Ongoing forums or bringing people to these
      Yahoo groups or other solutions? Voice your opinions.

      > The discussion forums could go on for ever because even at the
      end of three days, it was not clear for certain participants that my
      focal point for the weekend was learning, live online and what that
      implies using a fully featured conferencing system. I chose two
      systems, DiscoverE and Dimdim, as examples. I could have chosen
      others. I was extremely vexed, to say the least, to just read a
      blog saying that Dimdim had hosted a weekend at Knowplace! !
      Obviously, the writer of the blog had missed the point! Does that
      motivate me to hold other free weekends? Not really! But how long
      must you continue to get the message across?
    • John Hibbs
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
        A couple comments and a question.

        Comment 1 I can well understand Moira being miffed that anyone came
        away thinking the weekend was hosted by Dimdim. Having said that, the
        error was reasonably small; my guess is that Moira was really tired,
        or might not have chosen the word miffed.

        Comment 2 I'm not sure where Anne Fox is "going". It seems to me
        that Moira could "withdraw" (as instructor then choose to post and
        add comments or not. But it seems to me a shame that the posts that
        were made are not (a) viewable by anyone, anytime and (b) would not
        allow for continuing comments.

        The question: Am I correct in (2) above? If so please help me out why
        this is so?

        (not snipped as it maybe I missed something from the below)?