interesting article

    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hi, everyone!

      Please excuse the second cross-post today, but I've just finished reading a very interesting article by David Warlick that I strongly suggest you read.

      A Day in the Life of Web 2.0
      http://www.techlearning.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193200296&pgno=1

      Hugs, Teresa

    • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 2, 2006
        Great article, Tere-
        Thank you!
        --Elizabeth

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Almeida d'Eca"
        <tmvaz@...> wrote:

        > Hi, everyone!
        >
        > Please excuse the second cross-post today, but I've just finished
        reading a very interesting article by David Warlick that I strongly
        suggest you read.

        > A Day in the Life of Web 2.0
        > http://www.techlearning.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193200296&pgno=1
        >
        > Hugs, Teresa
      • dnewson2001
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 3, 2006
          Teresa,

          I have just read David Warlick's article: A Day in the life of Web
          2.0. Thanks greatly for the reference.

          It paints a very ideal picture, though, doesn't it? All those
          efficient, well-organised, motivated teachers and schools heads and
          librarians, and interested, computer-literate parents. Not a whiff of
          shortage of funds, bad pupil behavious, schools or kids without PCs or
          without the slightest interest in using them for educational
          purposes.I'm afraid Germany, as I experience it, is not going to be a
          place for such a digital paradise. My wife's university students may
          answer text messages instantly, as long as they are not from their
          parents, but many of them don't seem to check emails for days or even
          weeks on end.Many schools have computer labs, but they are places you
          go into by appointment on certain days, eletronic communications with
          wikis, blogs, RSS aren't imbedded in day-to-day teaching and learning.
          Teachers aren't to blame. There are natiional and local guide-lines to
          follow, text books have to be chosen from a list recommeed by local
          government, and teachers have to keep in step with colleagues if they
          are teaching parallel classes so their pupils can do the regular class
          tests. And, especially amongst teacher and university people, there
          seems to me to be scepticism about "the internet"."Young people spend
          too much time as it is, watching TV, sending and receiving text
          messages, fiddling with their play stations. They do not need more
          contact with the digital world." And apart from those people whose
          children have gone abroad and introduced their parents to Skype, so
          many people around me are suspicious, deeply suspicious of emailing,
          surfing and, heavens above, electronic banking. If I pull out my
          simple MP3 player, they shake their heads and obviously think: "He's
          like a teenager". And when I mention emailing, someone always says:
          "The old-fashioned, hand-written letter is good enugh for me.

          Dennis
        • YD Chen
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 3, 2006
            Dear Dennis,
            You feedback is just what I was going to say but my English is not that good so as to describe the situation here in my university. Students would play games online for 24 hours if possible instead of learning...........
            Don

            dnewson2001 <djn@...> wrote:
[...]

          • Michael Coghlan
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 4, 2006
              Dennis, Yaodong and all,

              What I liked about the scenario presented in David Warlick's article
              (A Day in the life of Web 2.0 -
              http://www.techlearning.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193200296&pgno=1)
              is that it gives examples of what could be done if you had just a few
              motivated teachers (or administrators) who chose to work like this,
              independent of whether or not you have students who are motivated to
              use computers for educational purposes. So in OUR working lives we
              can start changing the way we do things (which is what webheads have
              always done with each other anyway).

              But yes Dennis - you would need access to Internet enabled computers!

              - Michael,

              At 01:56 AM 4/11/2006, you wrote:

              >Dear Dennis,
              >You feedback is just what I was going to say but my English is not
              >that good so as to describe the situation here in my university.
              >Students would play games online for 24 hours if possible instead of
              >learning...........
              >Don
              >
              >dnewson2001 <<mailto:djn%40dennisnewson.de>djn@...> wrote:
              >Teresa,
              >
              >I have just read David Warlick's article: A Day in the life of Web
              >2.0. Thanks greatly for the reference.
              >
              >It paints a very ideal picture, though, doesn't it? All those
              >efficient, well-organised, motivated teachers and schools heads and
              >librarians, and interested, computer-literate parents. Not a whiff of
              >shortage of funds, bad pupil behavious, schools or kids without PCs or
              >without the slightest interest in using them for educational
              >purposes.I'm afraid Germany, as I experience it, is not going to be a
              >place for such a digital paradise. My wife's university students may
              >answer text messages instantly, as long as they are not from their
              >parents, but many of them don't seem to check emails for days or even
              >weeks on end.Many schools have computer labs, but they are places you
              >go into by appointment on certain days, eletronic communications with
              >wikis, blogs, RSS aren't imbedded in day-to-day teaching and learning.
              >Teachers aren't to blame. There are natiional and local guide-lines to
              >follow, text books have to be chosen from a list recommeed by local
              >government, and teachers have to keep in step with colleagues if they
              >are teaching parallel classes so their pupils can do the regular class
              >tests. And, especially amongst teacher and university people, there
              >seems to me to be scepticism about "the internet"."Young people spend
              >too much time as it is, watching TV, sending and receiving text
              >messages, fiddling with their play stations. They do not need more
              >contact with the digital world." And apart from those people whose
              >children have gone abroad and introduced their parents to Skype, so
              >many people around me are suspicious, deeply suspicious of emailing,
              >surfing and, heavens above, electronic banking. If I pull out my
              >simple MP3 player, they shake their heads and obviously think: "He's
              >like a teenager". And when I mention emailing, someone always says:
              >"The old-fashioned, hand-written letter is good enugh for me.
              >
              >Dennis

            • Rita Zeinstejer
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 4, 2006
                Dennis, dear friend, you seem to have described a perfect picture of what's going on here in Argentina, which, sorry to say....., makes me feel better..:-)
                I thought that because I live in the "south pole", away from the countries where advances spread more easily, and are accepted more readily...., being looked upon as a geek was sort of "expected"..., though, to be honest, I need to get my own ego boosted by connecting with you all to see I'm not alone...;-)))

                But if that's the picture in Germany, as well, I sadly conclude that we won't be seeing too much of a change during our short life... I don't want to read pessimistic, but we are soooooooo very few, everywhere! In the private institute I work at, I'm the only one, and we are 60 teachers, who's adapted and integrated some tools in my daily teaching, and have managed to do so despite having to comply with a syllabus, a book, and specific exam preparation...(Cambridge CAE)

                Anyway, here we all are, striving to survive and to follow our gut feelings..., as true believers and advocates of our common ideas and purposes. Let's pat ourselves on our backs in turns, one day we'll be a multitude...;-))

                Hugs from the south pole!!!!

                Rita

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 4, 2006
                  Hi, Dennis!

                  I'm glad you liked David Warlick's article.

                  I think it paints a picture that's accessible to anyone withsome e-literacy. It's very similar to what we, Webheads, do among ourselves and with our students. It's similar to what I'm doing with my students, though with blogs.

                  One of the non-similarities is that my school board, and most teachers, couldn't care less about what I do! And I couldn't care less that they don't, because what's important is that my students truly enjoy what we do and, above all, learn from it. As a mother commented yesterday evening in the Have Fun with English!2 blog, CALL lessons "are also a pleasant way of learning without knowing", without perceiving it. Absolutely.

                  Portugal is generally out of step and behind re: the rest of Europe, but not in terms of some of these new tools. Kids love new gadjets and will use them if they're shown how. That's why I think it's so important to blend these new tools in our traditional lessons. And my kids like both blogs so much that they will go to the school library during their lunch break and send me messages.

                  Computers have been in Portuguese school for 20 years, however, teachers are still very far behind. They've had enough time to be far ahead, because there has been training, though not the type I like. I believe the biggest problem has been, and will continue to be, that my colleagues in general think this is all too much work and trouble, and they don't have the time!!! How come me, and a few others like me, do?!

                  There are many computers at my school and, as I've said on other occasions, I'm the only one using them in an interactive way. I'm not joking! The only other groups that use computers now and then are the Math and Geography groups, basically for showing content. We even have an interactive whiteboard this year (thanks for the link to the video, I'll add it to my OLE and EFL/ESL pages) and will be getting 24 laptops this month. What for?! No comment!!!

                  Well, enough said! These are my two Portuguese cents.

                  Hugs, Teresa

                • Dafne
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 4, 2006
                    Dennis and all,

                    I have to agree regarding teachers´attitude towards
                    ICT. I have been lucky to motivate a small group
                    (around 6) of teachers in my department (aroud 40
                    teachers) who are now using web tools.

                    However, I am very happy to say, that my students are
                    really motivated and working comfortably with all the
                    tools we use in our classes (both graduate and
                    undergraduate). In my English for architecture course
                    we are using many tools. In 8 weeks my students have
                    been regularly using:

                    pbwiki, wikispaces, podomatic, springdoo, mychingo,
                    Gliffy, 3D-architecture studio, Google SketchUp,
                    bubble share, Moodle, Quia and SitePal

                    And they just love them all. They keep asking if they
                    will also be using computers next trimester.

                    Last week when I was out of town, and I they had to
                    work on their own, they not only completed the
                    activities for the week, they had the time to record a
                    song for me :-) You can listen to it here:
                    http://id2124-dg.wikispaces.com

                    So, I don´t give up, I keep using web tools, and
                    trying to recruite more teachers. I teach what I
                    preach :-)

                    hugs,

                    Daf

                    --- Rita Zeinstejer <rita@...> wrote:

                    > Dennis, dear friend, you seem to have described a
                    > perfect picture of what's going on here in
                    > Argentina, which, sorry to say....., makes me feel
                    > better..:-)
                    > I thought that because I live in the "south pole",
                    > away from the countries where advances spread more
                    > easily, and are accepted more readily...., being
                    > looked upon as a geek was sort of "expected"...,
                    > though, to be honest, I need to get my own ego
                    > boosted by connecting with you all to see I'm not
                    > alone...;-)))
                    >
                    > But if that's the picture in Germany, as well, I
                    > sadly conclude that we won't be seeing too much of a
                    > change during our short life... I don't want to read
                    > pessimistic, but we are soooooooo very few,
                    > everywhere! In the private institute I work at, I'm
                    > the only one, and we are 60 teachers, who's adapted
                    > and integrated some tools in my daily teaching, and
                    > have managed to do so despite having to comply with
                    > a syllabus, a book, and specific exam
                    > preparation...(Cambridge CAE)
                    >
                    > Anyway, here we all are, striving to survive and to
                    > follow our gut feelings..., as true believers and
                    > advocates of our common ideas and purposes. Let's
                    > pat ourselves on our backs in turns, one day we'll
                    > be a multitude...;-))
                    >
                    > Hugs from the south pole!!!!
                    >
                    > Rita

                    > removed]

                    Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business
                    (http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com)
                  • Michael Coghlan
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 4, 2006
                      At 12:28 AM 5/11/2006, you wrote:

                      >Dennis, dear friend, you seem to have described a perfect picture of
                      >what's going on here in Argentina, which, sorry to say....., makes
                      >me feel better..:-)
                      >I thought that because I live in the "south pole", away from the
                      >countries where advances spread more easily, and are accepted more
                      >readily...., being looked upon as a geek was sort of "expected"...,
                      >though, to be honest, I need to get my own ego boosted by connecting
                      >with you all to see I'm not alone...;-)))
                      >
                      >But if that's the picture in Germany, as well, I sadly conclude that
                      >we won't be seeing too much of a change during our short life... I
                      >don't want to read pessimistic, but we are soooooooo very few,
                      >everywhere! In the private institute I work at, I'm the only one,
                      >and we are 60 teachers, who's adapted and integrated some tools in
                      >my daily teaching, and have managed to do so despite having to
                      >comply with a syllabus, a book, and specific exam preparation...(Cambridge CAE)

                      Rita - I think you've written about it before, but WHY are you the
                      only one of 60 teachers who is interested in this stuff? Lack of
                      access? Laziness? I do find it hard to believe that you don't have at
                      least a few other teachers on your staff who are willing to try and
                      incorporate web based approaches in their teaching.

                      - Michael.

                    • Rita Zeinstejer
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 5, 2006
                        Hi, dear Michael,

                        As soon as I sent my previous email, where I wrote AGAIN, yes, sorry about this....:-(..., about my "loneliness" on this stuff, I realized I'd make a mistake. In fact, it's not only the 60 teachers who are ignoring all this, but thousands of EFL teachers in Rosario..., if you can believe that...

                        I´ve been conducting the CALL SIG here for 6 years now, through the Association of Teachers of English in Rosario, and I've always had JUST between 4 and 5 teachers attending sessions (which I hold once a month). And out of these 5 I have this year, only ONE is intrinsically involved, the other 4, just "comply" with requisites...., and follow a very slow pace...

                        Why??? That's my hardest question, a rhetorical one... They will complain about their lack of time, about low pay and more demands, and those very few who are somehow working with the computer use it to retrieve information and for email writing. Incredible but true, believe me.
                        I've tried giving open presentations, free sessions, and some will turn up and show interest, but that's it.

                        Anyway, as "optimist Tere" says..., it'll be a question of time, and in the meantime, we need to go on preaching. True, "Rome was not built in a day".

                        Sorry to be dwelling on this once again, just needed to answer Michael's question, if this can be called an answer.

                        Thanks, Michael, for your interest, can understand you disbelief!

                        Rita

                      • John Hibbs
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 5, 2006
                          At 2:03 AM +1030 11/5/06, Michael Coghlan wrote:

                          >Rita - I think you've written about it before, but WHY are you the
                          >only one of 60 teachers who is interested in this stuff? Lack of
                          >access? Laziness? I do find it hard to believe that you don't have at
                          >least a few other teachers on your staff who are willing to try and
                          >incorporate web based approaches in their teaching.

                          I am not involved in teaching English and I am not involved in trying
                          to motivate teachers to use the new tools. But I am involved in a
                          collegiate organizations where the leaders of same are as reluctant
                          to use the new tools as those Rita talks about. They still operate
                          as if there is no Internet -- or that the best (and exclusive?) use
                          of the Net is to pass around jokes, or send birthday cards, or chit
                          chat. VoiP - you kidding. Web 2.0? huh -- what kind of nut are your?
                          desktop sharing? sure, you can put your coffee on my desk anytime and
                          we can have a nice talk. Empower students? heck, we are doing that
                          all the time; that's why we give them the same tests every year.
                        • Carla arena
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 6, 2006
                            Dear all, Michael, Dennis, Tere, Daf, Rita, Webheads,

                            My situation in Brazil is no different from you. In the Binational I teach
                            there are 150 English teachers (yes, 150!) and I'd say that Erika and I are
                            the ones really involved in Ed Tech. We could count on one hand the teachers
                            that also have been carrying on some interactive online collaboration, but
                            only when we give them full support (creating blogs, helping with tools and
                            even answering emails!!!).

                            We don't have laptops for students, but we do have a computer lab with nice
                            computers. The computer lab is always packed, but the teachers generally go
                            there to do the online exercises we prepare and make it available on an
                            e-folder for the school with all levels we have, separated by units. Most of
                            the online exercises could be done at home, but we never give up! We keep
                            offering teacher training on how to use tech tools in an interactive,
                            motivating way. We've had some success with online collaboration, but the
                            teachers are not willing to try by themselves. We need to be there, checking
                            if the project is moving ahead...

                            We hold all kinds of training throughout the semester and during in-service.
                            The attendance is good, teachers think what we do is "Cool", but not for
                            them!

                            Well, here we are and we never give up!

                            Carla

                            On 11/5/06, Rita Zeinstejer <rita@...> wrote:

                            > Hi, dear Michael,
                            >
                            > As soon as I sent my previous email, where I wrote AGAIN, yes, sorry about
                            > this....:-(..., about my "loneliness" on this stuff, I realized I'd make a
                            > mistake. In fact, it's not only the 60 teachers who are ignoring all this,
                            > but thousands of EFL teachers in Rosario..., if you can believe that...
                            >
                            > I´ve been conducting the CALL SIG here for 6 years now, through the
                            > Association of Teachers of English in Rosario, and I've always had JUST
                            > between 4 and 5 teachers attending sessions (which I hold once a month). And
                            > out of these 5 I have this year, only ONE is intrinsically involved, the
                            > other 4, just "comply" with requisites...., and follow a very slow pace...
                            >
                            > Why??? That's my hardest question, a rhetorical one... They will complain
                            > about their lack of time, about low pay and more demands, and those very few
                            > who are somehow working with the computer use it to retrieve information and
                            > for email writing. Incredible but true, believe me.
                            > I've tried giving open presentations, free sessions, and some will turn up
                            > and show interest, but that's it.
                            >
                            > Anyway, as "optimist Tere" says..., it'll be a question of time, and in
                            > the meantime, we need to go on preaching. True, "Rome was not built in a
                            > day".
                            >
                            > Sorry to be dwelling on this once again, just needed to answer Michael's
                            > question, if this can be called an answer.
                            >
                            > Thanks, Michael, for your interest, can understand you disbelief!
                            >
                            > Rita

                          • Dennis Newson
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 6, 2006
                              Carla,

                              Thanks for writing. (Very busy people are the ones that always find time,
                              because they are good at using their time, I think). Perwonally, I find it
                              very helpful, more than just interesting, to learn how it is for others. It
                              relatavises one's own experience.

                              Best wishes,

                              Dennis

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 16, 2010
                                Hello, Webheads!

                                The NYTimes Online has an interesting article this morning related to our degree of connectedness (link 1) and then testimonies of people who took part in their unplugged challenge with some interesting lessons learned (link 2). Hope you enjoy them, as I did. After all, they're related to what I wrote about.

                                Outdoors and Out of Reach, Studying the Brain
                                http://tinyurl.com/26ktj4a

                                The Unplugged Challenge
                                http://tinyurl.com/26ugtep

                                Hugs, Teresa

                              • Barbara Dieu
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 16, 2010
                                  Great, Teresa. Thank you.
                                  Let me complement it with this podcast and various links:
                                  A Brief History of Noise
                                  http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/mediaberkman/2010/08/05/radio-berkman-161-a-brief-history-of-noise/

                                  Warm regards,
                                  B.

                                  --
                                  Barbara Dieu
                                  http://barbaradieu.com

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 16, 2010
                                    Bee, I liked the interview so much that afterwards I listened to her (Kate
                                    Crawford's) presentation "Mobile Social Media and Attention" followed by a
                                    long Q&A time. Thanks. :-)
                                    http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/mediaberkman/2010/08/04/kate-crawford-on-mobile-social-media-and-attention/

                                    Hugs, Teresa

                                    Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 2:09 PM