Cross Cultural Communication Online

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2002
      Hello everyone.

      Many of you will know that the Webheads are doing a conference session on
      Cross Cultural Communication Online at an online conference running out of
      Australia from August 19th - 30th. As part of our preparation for that
      conference we will be discussing issues surrounding this topic on the
      evonline2002 list.

      It is too late for any more people to take part in the actual conference
      sessions, but everyone is welcome to join in the discussion here.

      May I suggest that everyone has a look at the site we have created for the
      event at http://users.chariot.net.au/~michaelc/ccc/pres.htm. If you have
      any questions or comments about any of the issues raised there you might
      like to post them here to get the discussion going.

      Any thoughts about how we might conduct the live chat sessions would also
      be welcome.

      So....who'd like to get the discussion going? Are there any burning
      issues/questions you'd like to raise? Or resources you'd recommend to
      inform our presentation?

      - Michael C.
    • Susanne Nyrop
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2002
        Hi Michael,

        yesterday after our usual Webhead Sunday class, Dafne, Rita & I started to
        discuss some details about your conference session.

        First of all, we would like to be well prepared, tecvhnically spoken: do
        you plan to use our well estabished, common playground Tapped In as the
        locus In for our synchronous chat, or do we have to prepare for more
        experimental situations?

        We also wanted to know more about how to join other sessions; as far as we
        understand, those of us who are by now registered for your Cross Cultural
        Communication session, would also have access to participate in other
        actiovities. Do we have to register for those?

        We decided that we liked your viewpoint - that the most interesting
        communication may occur whenever we, as CCC participants are acting as
        ourselves, not trying to adapt politely to what we think other cultures
        might expect from us. This is when a real exchange of ideas and
        possiblility to compare and take interest in our local and cultural
        differences will happen.

        Sus
      • Michael Coghlan
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2002
          Sus - see answers inline below:

          At 05:22 PM 5/08/2002 +0200, you wrote:
          >Hi Michael,
          >
          >yesterday after our usual Webhead Sunday class, Dafne, Rita & I started to
          >discuss some details about your conference session.
          >
          >First of all, we would like to be well prepared, tecvhnically spoken: do
          >you plan to use our well estabished, common playground Tapped In as the
          >locus In for our synchronous chat, or do we have to prepare for more
          >experimental situations?

          We will have to use the software (chat and forums) that the conference
          provides. It won't be Tapped In, but neither will it require any new skills
          on our part. They are fairly straightforward chat and forum tools.

          >We also wanted to know more about how to join other sessions; as far as we
          >understand, those of us who are by now registered for your Cross Cultural
          >Communication session, would also have access to participate in other
          >actiovities. Do we have to register for those?

          I hope that in the next 48 hours I can provide everyone with your usernames
          and password. As far as I understand this should give you access to the
          entire conference. No one *has to* participate in other sessions, but I
          hope you do. Many people at these kinds of conferences just go and lurk,
          and that is quite acceptable. Just think of it as having a free pass to an
          entire conference!

          I guess it's possible that some sessions may require people to pre-register
          but we will only know that when the conference site is open and all session
          details available.

          >We decided that we liked your viewpoint - that the most interesting
          >communication may occur whenever we, as CCC participants are acting as
          >ourselves, not trying to adapt politely to what we think other cultures
          >might expect from us. This is when a real exchange of ideas and
          >possiblility to compare and take interest in our local and cultural
          >differences will happen.

          I'm 'glad' we agree on this. I know Vance also feels strongly about this
          too. I think a key to successful CCC is approaching it as a journey of
          discovery. But we do need to be alert for areas of possible
          misunderstanding. I think it was Rita who mentioned in our session earlier
          this year that Spanish speakers, for example, tend to be more serious than
          Americans and Australians online. Was that correct Rita?

          - Michael C.
        • vance_stevens
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6, 2002
            Just chatting to Daf now. Did she mention by chance that she had seen
            me just before the chat mentioned below? That was a coincidence. It
            wasn't that I had messed up on when noon GMT was in Leh, it was that
            I had failed to notice anything in my environment to suggest to me
            that it was Sunday. I missed the chat because I didn't know it was
            Sunday.

            Anyway, I'm about to go on an 8 day trek with my family, horses
            carrying our gear. So next Sunday will come and go. The following
            Sunday I'll be somewhere in Rajastan perhaps and will try to make it
            a point to get online for half an hour or so.

            And I'll monitor emails to see if there is any way I can join
            Michael's session Aug 21. I'll try to steal a glance at a calendar
            now and then.

            Next email checkin for me will be Aug 15. See you then,

            Vance

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., "Susanne Nyrop"
            <susanne.nyrop@s...> wrote:
            > Hi Michael,
            >
            > yesterday after our usual Webhead Sunday class, Dafne, Rita & I
            started to
            > discuss some details about your conference session.
            >
            > First of all, we would like to be well prepared, tecvhnically
            spoken: do
            > you plan to use our well estabished, common playground Tapped In as
            the
            > locus In for our synchronous chat, or do we have to prepare for more
            > experimental situations?
            >
            > We also wanted to know more about how to join other sessions; as
            far as we
            > understand, those of us who are by now registered for your Cross
            Cultural
            > Communication session, would also have access to participate in
            other
            > actiovities. Do we have to register for those?
            >
            > We decided that we liked your viewpoint - that the most interesting
            > communication may occur whenever we, as CCC participants are acting
            as
            > ourselves, not trying to adapt politely to what we think other
            cultures
            > might expect from us. This is when a real exchange of ideas and
            > possiblility to compare and take interest in our local and cultural
            > differences will happen.
            >
            > Sus
          • Shunichiro Ito
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 7, 2002
              Michael and others,
              I'm in Los Aneles now at 4:30 am local time. Couldn't sleep and started working on an Internet Roacming connection.
              I got it to work finally and read your mails exchanged. Will follow your thread and will try to join you at Tapped In Sunday.
              I presume it's at the usual time for Webheads.

              Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...> wrote: Sus - see answers inline below:

              At 05:22 PM 5/08/2002 +0200, you wrote:
              >Hi Michael,
              >
              >yesterday after our usual Webhead Sunday class, Dafne, Rita & I started to
              >discuss some details about your conference session.
              >
              >First of all, we would like to be well prepared, tecvhnically spoken: do
              >you plan to use our well estabished, common playground Tapped In as the
              >locus In for our synchronous chat, or do we have to prepare for more
              >experimental situations?

              We will have to use the software (chat and forums) that the conference
              provides. It won't be Tapped In, but neither will it require any new skills
              on our part. They are fairly straightforward chat and forum tools.

              >We also wanted to know more about how to join other sessions; as far as we
              >understand, those of us who are by now registered for your Cross Cultural
              >Communication session, would also have access to participate in other
              >actiovities. Do we have to register for those?

              I hope that in the next 48 hours I can provide everyone with your usernames
              and password. As far as I understand this should give you access to the
              entire conference. No one *has to* participate in other sessions, but I
              hope you do. Many people at these kinds of conferences just go and lurk,
              and that is quite acceptable. Just think of it as having a free pass to an
              entire conference!

              I guess it's possible that some sessions may require people to pre-register
              but we will only know that when the conference site is open and all session
              details available.

              >We decided that we liked your viewpoint - that the most interesting
              >communication may occur whenever we, as CCC participants are acting as
              >ourselves, not trying to adapt politely to what we think other cultures
              >might expect from us. This is when a real exchange of ideas and
              >possiblility to compare and take interest in our local and cultural
              >differences will happen.

              I'm 'glad' we agree on this. I know Vance also feels strongly about this
              too. I think a key to successful CCC is approaching it as a journey of
              discovery. But we do need to be alert for areas of possible
              misunderstanding. I think it was Rita who mentioned in our session earlier
              this year that Spanish speakers, for example, tend to be more serious than
              Americans and Australians online. Was that correct Rita?

              - Michael C.

              Syllabus:

            • Michael Coghlan
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 7, 2002
                At 04:31 AM 7/08/2002 -0700, you wrote:

                >Michael and others,
                >I'm in Los Aneles now at 4:30 am local time. Couldn't sleep and started
                >working on an Internet Roacming connection.
                >I got it to work finally and read your mails exchanged. Will follow your
                >thread and will try to join you at Tapped In Sunday.
                >I presume it's at the usual time for Webheads.

                Yes Shun. It will be the usual time. I hope you get over your jetlag soon.
                What are you doing in LA? Is it just for vacation purposes?

                - Michael C.