Screencasting

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 30, 2006
      I just stumbled across this demonstration of screencasting - how to get a
      PowerPoint presentation into Flickr. The woman has a rather uncomfortable
      voice, but her demonstration is clear. Personally, I find screencasts
      brilliant for showing one how to do things on the net.

      Don't forget to click on screencast.

      Dennis

      http://beth.typepad.com/beths_blog/2006/10/flickr_as_prese.html

      PS Does anyone know of good (free!) programs for screencasting?
      --

      Dennis Newson (retired)
      University Osnabrück

    • Carla arena
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2006
        Dear Dennis,

        Claudia Bellusci is working with a free tool called *Wink*.

        I know that a great one is Camtasia, but it is pricey.

        Beijos,
        Carla

        On 10/31/06, Dennis Newson <djn@...> wrote:

        > I just stumbled across this demonstration of screencasting - how to get
        > PowerPoint presentation into Flickr. The woman has a rather uncomfortable
        > voice, but her demonstration is clear. Personally, I find screencasts
        > brilliant for showing one how to do things on the net.
        >
        > Don't forget to click on screencast.
        >
        > Dennis
        >
        > http://beth.typepad.com/beths_blog/2006/10/flickr_as_prese.html
        >
        > PS Does anyone know of good (free!) programs for screencasting?
        > --
        >
        > Dennis Newson (retired)
        > University Osnabrück
        > CETEFL-L, Germany-English,
        > EFLTU etc.

      • Dafne
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2006
          Dear Dennis,

          I have been using Camtasia, but as Claudia said it is
          rather expensive.

          I have used CamStudio (free):

          http://www.camstudio.org

          "CamStudio is able to record all screen and audio
          activity on your computer and create industry-standard
          AVI video files and using its built-in SWF Producer
          can turn those AVIs into lean, mean,
          bandwidth-friendly Streaming Flash videos (SWFs)"

          hugs,

          Daf

          --- Carla arena <carlaarena@...> wrote:

          > Dear Dennis,
          >
          > Claudia Bellusci is working with a free tool called
          > *Wink*.
          >
          > I know that a great one is Camtasia, but it is
          > pricey.
          >
          > Beijos,
          > Carla
          >

          > On 10/31/06, Dennis Newson <djn@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I just stumbled across this demonstration of
          > screencasting - how to get
          > > PowerPoint presentation into Flickr. The woman has
          > a rather uncomfortable
          > > voice, but her demonstration is clear. Personally,
          > I find screencasts
          > > brilliant for showing one how to do things on the
          > net.
          > >
          > > Don't forget to click on screencast.
          > >
          > > Dennis

          http://beth.typepad.com/beths_blog/2006/10/flickr_as_prese.html

          > > PS Does anyone know of good (free!) programs for
          > screencasting?
          > > --
          > >
          > > Dennis Newson (retired)
          > > University Osnabrück
          > > CETEFL-L, Germany-English,
          > > EFLTU etc.

          > removed]

          > removed]

          (http://www.yahoo.com/preview)
        • David Winet
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 31, 2006
            Believe it or not Windows Media Encoder from Microsoft (free) works well
            for me, better than some commercial tools I've used.
            Dave

          • smokolo
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 31, 2006
              Dear Dennis Newson,

              > > PowerPoint presentation into Flickr. The woman has a rather
              uncomfortable
              > > voice, but her demonstration is clear. > >
              > > http://beth.typepad.com/beths_blog/2006/10/flickr_as_prese.html
              > >
              > > PS Does anyone know of good (free!) programs for screencasting?

              Yes, this one works well:

              http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/camstudio/Camstudio-2.0-w32.zip?
              download

              I am going to check out your link now because I am also interested
              in using screencasting for online presentations.

              thanks!
              ;-) Susan in Florence...despite this horrible Smokolo nickname that
              I can't seem to shed ....why ever did I use it...? One day I will
              open up a new account with a new everything and throw that name OUT!
            • Dennis Newson
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
                Thanks Carla, Daf and Dave for your messages about screencasting.

                I was thrilled by Jeff Lebow's screencasts at the Academy and have been
                wanting to produce some myself ever since.

                CAMTASIA is superb, but costs serious money, though there is a 30-day free
                trial, and, currently a special offer for academics. (See below)..

                CAMSTUDIO looks fine, but, unless I am mistaken, it seems only to be able
                to deal with a small area, about an eighth of the screen, too small to be be
                useful in demonstrating programs and procedures.

                Again, as far as I can see, WINK has no sound , using texts in bubbles with
                arrows instead. Mind you, it is rather sweet in a low-tech way and might be
                very useful in the classroom with an inventive teacher and creative
                learners.

                WINDOWS ENCODER. Frankly, I can't see how to use this for
                screencasts.Doesone need the profi version? Has anyone the time to
                point me towards some
                online instructions?

                Apologies if I have missed someone.

                CAMTASIA
                http://www.webnomad.co.uk/products.asp?cat=4

                !!! A special offer for academics aat the moment: 94 dollars

                CAMSTUDIO
                http://www.camstudio.org/

                WINK
                http://www.debugmode.com/wink/

                WINDOWS
                ENCODERhttp://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx

                or

                *http://tinyurl.com/g37zo*-

                Dennis
              • Gavin Dudeney
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
                  Hi All.

                  A low spec option is FRAPS - which renders beautifully without drawing too
                  much power away from the app you're recording. It's the only one I've
                  managed to get working with Second Life, which is itself very demanding on
                  graphics.

                  Gavin

                  Gavin Dudeney - Project Director
                  The Consultants-E, SL
                  HYPERLINK "http://www.theconsultants-e.com/"http://www.theconsultants-e.com

                  Sponsors of the 2006 UK Moodle Conference - www.moodlemoot.org

                  Owners of the Second Life sim EduNation
                  Second Life ID: Dudeney Ge

                  CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

                  _____

[...]

                  HYPERLINK
                  "http://www.webnomad.co.uk/products.asp?cat=4"http://www.webnomad-.co.uk/pro
                  ducts.-asp?cat=4

                  !!! A special offer for academics aat the moment: 94 dollars

                  CAMSTUDIO
                  HYPERLINK "http://www.camstudio.org/"http://www.camstudi-o.org/

                  WINK
                  HYPERLINK "http://www.debugmode.com/wink/"http://www.debugmod-e.com/wink/