Fwd: Some info and reflections about GEN

  • Susanne Nyrop
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31 2:35 PM
      Hi all happy holiday Webheads!

      Teresa mailed me some days ago to tell me about what a good Sunday chat I
      had missed. So I felt happy when Vance announced that the relevant log
      was up on our homepage. By the way, I appreciate the quick way they
      sessions have been resumed, with a list of active participants.

      Once more, I feel the pleasure of reading a chatlog from a session where
      I was myself behindered to participate, like this last Sunday. Again, I
      appreciate the remarkable mix of informal and fun social interplay and the
      more "serious" professional references to our ongoing work with peer
      support and knowledge building - the more i study this phenomenon, the
      better I understand how it has deep roots in our previous timetaking
      making online friendship and collegiality. This logged transcript is a
      great tool for thinking; as I read, I make some innner remarks , some of
      these I would certainly have shared with you, in case I had been there
      with you? The topics that I was especially interested in, was of course,
      Dafne's report from her online classes in EFL on Valencian architecture,
      created as a natural follow on our WIA seminar, and the discussions
      concerning the new community tool, CommunityZero (or CZ), that I've also
      played a little with now - and the questions about GEN. It was so
      interesting to see the surprise welcoming of the long absent Nigel
      (member of the late team BB) , who was a little intrigued because he had
      no idea what was the previous action - a projection of the GEN intro URL.
      There was a natural return to our previous explorations of Blackboard (BB)
      and other courseware and community tools, and then, someone asked if we
      still had the Special Interest group we created in Global Educators'
      Network, the Webheads SIG. Yes, we do, although it has been quite
      inactive for some time, mostly due to my own lack of ability to juggle
      with many balls, I am afraid. It is open for registered GEN members. And
      , the free offline Course Reader in question is a newly released Open
      Source tool that can be used in connection with VirtualU, as well as
      Blackboard or WebCT courseware, for use at home with no connection to
      internet, and places where the login time is expensive. Some of the GEN
      people have been deeply involved in the Course reader programming and
      design, and the community has been beta-testing and discussing it in GEN
      seminars.

      GEN is created in the asynchronous conferencing part of the classic
      learning environment, or courseware called VirtualU, (VU) Sylvia
      Currie is one brilliant GEN expert, developer and facilitator - and she
      is very interested in new ideas for online seminar topics. She and I are
      hosting a monthly session in Tapped IN - we decided to do this, mostly
      because the synch chat tool in VU is not really functional. Someone
      referred to me as the GEN "expert" which is far too flattering , as I
      myself still has many questions concerning the uses and implementations of
      VU. But as a devoted GEN community member, I did introduce our Webheads
      In Action community to the GEN community, because I wanted to point your
      attention to the interesting free seminars about online learning,
      teaching and facilitating as seen from many aspects, and initated by
      educators and researchers in the field.

      Hope this will shed some more light on our ongoing discussion?

      Sus

      PS

      You might find some clues in the recent paper I published (with Nini
      Ebeltoft), there was a description of both Tapped In and GEN, seen from
      the aspect of "Cooperative Cultures in Sociotechnical Communities"
      http://home19.inet.tele.dk/susnyrop/helpful.html
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 29, 2002
        Sus and all,

        I particularly liked this write-up, and I've added it to our Cybertours page, where Webheads in Action keep logs of online events of note

        http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/cybertours.htm

        I'd like to add there a record of the recent conference you organized Michael. If you could send me relevant urls this would be a great assist. I'd particularly like to be pointed to the logs of the discussions we participated in.

        I'm pleased to get the feedback on the utility of the chat logs (e.g. to know that someone reads them at all is a great incentive to continue with them). However, these logs are a serious drain on time. One thing that would help is if we could have more postings reflecting on these logs, as I could use such reflections in summaries of the logs, and get some record of the log up on our website even if I were unable to get the transcripted log up right away.

        Also, Sept 8, Sunday, the regular noon GMT chat will be joined in by participants at an e-learning conference. Last Sunday Chris and Rita had their web cams up. I had just returned from leave and discovered I didn't have mine on me. I'll rectify that and this coming Sunday Sep 8 I'll have it going and I'll encourage others to practice with voice and video in preparation for the following week's session. More on that later.