Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Followup to Sunday, Aug. 28 discussion

  • Teresa Almeida d'Eça
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 2002
      Hi, Chris!

      Yes, what a fabulous discussion. So much learned and so much food for
      thought!

      It was very nice of you to give us the url to your project. Though I'm
      not teaching on line (but I hope to try it some day!), I've just gone
      through the 'How to do the project' and liked it. I think that
      everything relevant is there.

      I especially liked:
      -- your reference to the fact that "The important thing is to
      communicate, and express your ideas freely. Any corrections would be
      sent by e-mail, and that's between you and me". That should make them
      at ease to express themselves as much and as often as possible without
      fear of 'public' exposure on your part to mistakes;

      [I constantly try to convince f2f students of that, and have a relaxed
      atmosphere, open to dialogue and 'learning from mistakes', but it
      isn't always easy. It does make it easier when some 'wise guy' makes
      fun of a colleague and I have the chance of 'exposing' him! Bear in
      mind, these rules are all laid out on the first lesson.]

      -- the mixed groups (as Dafne has);

      -- the problem-solving plan and design; and,

      -- the do's and don'ts.

      BTW, I looked at your 'Online Resources' and really liked the link
      OneLook Dictionaries with immediate translation of words.

      The 'Simulation' also seems quite interesting.

      Congratulations, Chris!

      One question: what English qualifications do your students have? In
      what course is this integrated?

      Best of luck, Teresa

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > That was such a great discussion we had on Sunday! I learned a
      boatload, I'll say.

      > Just as a follow-up to some of the projects we were talking about,
      here is a simulation I did for about 4 semesters at my university
      (Technical English courses I taught: It was an asynchronous forum
      discussion in small groups, in which the groups also had to coordinate
      with other small groups. This was done artificially between mixed
      teams, in which the members met on different days, that is, there was
      no geograhical seperation between the team members -- just time
      separation.

      http://www.home.fh-karlsruhe.de/~joch0001/te_html/project.htm

      > I have the discussions themselves on CD. If anyone would like to
      hear more about the results of the discussion, please let me know.