update: copy rights

  • Arlyn Freed
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 22 6:53 PM
      Hi everyone!

      As promised, I'm writing to let you know that things
      ended very well with the author of the other site (and
      swiftly too!). I didn't expect such a quick response,
      but he has already altered his site and written a note
      of apology. And of course (as is many times the case)
      his intention was not to plagiarize but to make the
      links easily accessible for his own use (-- we all
      know how that is....).

      I'm glad I wrote (which I only felt comfortable doing
      after all of your feedback). It should be noted that
      the most frustrating element of this little fracas was
      the fact that the author's e-mail address was NO WHERE
      TO BE FOUND anywhere on his site. It took some
      serious sleuthing (including reading HTML source code)
      to identify him from others with the same name and
      then find a database that contained a current e-mail.

      NOTE TO SELF: ALWAYS include a contact e-mail :)

      Regarding Nigel's comment -- I've been thinking quite
      seriously about copyright and the vague boundaries
      (sometimes purposely so, to allow for more creative
      freedom).

      I read an article in today's NYTimes about a new form
      of computer animation. The animators create new
      characters and plots, but swipe the backgrounds from
      video game software. While this creative use of
      "found" material allows the animators to be more
      productive and mix media in new and exciting ways, I
      wonder if the artists who toiled long hours creating
      the backgrounds feel ripped-off...

      Cheers,
      Arlyn

      =====
      Your new home for ESL...http://www.eslhome.com

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Teresa Almeida d'Eça
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 23 7:42 AM
        Hi, Arlyn!

        Congratulations! I'm glad to know that 'all's well that ends well'!

        > As promised, I'm writing to let you know that things
        > ended very well with the author of the other site (and
        > swiftly too!). I didn't expect such a quick response,
        > but he has already altered his site and written a note
        > of apology. And of course (as is many times the case)
        > his intention was not to plagiarize but to make the
        > links easily accessible for his own use (-- we all
        > know how that is....).

        I've always found that when reason is on our side, there's nothing
        like being politely straight to the point.

        > NOTE TO SELF: ALWAYS include a contact e-mail :)

        A wise piece of advice!

        > Regarding Nigel's comment -- I've been thinking quite
        > seriously about copyright and the vague boundaries
        > (sometimes purposely so, to allow for more creative
        > freedom).

        I've also thought about this on several occasions, but have always
        stuck to what I initially adopted at the bottom of every page: date of
        the last update, date I created the page, and my name. The last update
        is an element that is/can be considered when citing online
        information.

        I don't know if it has worked, or has any legal effect (if things were
        to get to that point!). It was the result of plain intuition, I think.

        Curiously, yesterday I was navigating through some of Bernie Dodge's
        WebQuest pages and noticed that in one of them, regarding 'searching
        on line', he had 'Written by . . .' at the bottom. You can take a look
        at
        http://webquest.sdsu.edu/searching/fournets.htm

        Well, wouldn't it be much easier and nicer if everybody was honest and
        gave credit where it's due? I know. . . that's wishful thinking!!!

        Best, Teresa