Re: Moodle - a request

  • Gladys Baya
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
      Hi!
      I'm also a keen supporter of Moodle, which I've tried both as a
      learner and as an online facilitator... Only platform I feel as
      comfortable as in a classroom.
      Loved your tip on adding Moodlespeex voiceboards... had no idea that
      existed... We've tried Skype as as supplement, but not everybody has
      it... and an integrated tool is always better, I think...

      I have one big doubt concerning Moodle... 2 years ago, at an EVO
      workshop on using Moodle, it was mentioned that sometimes people who
      have free space on their Moodles generously "lend" it to others who
      need it for a while... I've always used Moodle on a course run by a
      foreign foundation, so I only know how to use it once the course has
      been set up (i.e. I don't know anything about administration)... I've
      just been asked to submit a proposal for an online course for 2007
      for an Argentinian foundation with no experience in online teaching
      and no server of their own... Are there any real chances that
      somebody might allow me to use some space on their Moodle eventually?
      Would that mean that person would set up the course for me, and then
      I'd be in charge?

      I'd thought of relying just on a Yahoo! group + a website (I think
      that'd be nicer than Nicenet, which I find too statistical and
      neither fostering communication nor appealing to the eye), but if
      there was a chance to use Moodle, it'd be great!

      Gladys
    • Evelyn Izquierdo
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
        Dear all:
        Sorry for this, but I'm still a newbie in ICT. I didn't have an idea that many audio tools could be added to Moodle. Would you kindly teach me how to do that, please? Or, could you give some e-sources to find guidelines? I haven't seen that option in the Moodle version I'm currently managing.
        Thank you so much,
        Evelyn

        Evelyn Izquierdo
        Profesora de Inglés
        Escuela de Educación
        Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
        Universidad Central de Venezuela
        Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
        E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...

      • Fernanda Rodrigues
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
          Hi Evelyn
          I think those modules have to be added by the system administrator, not
          by the teacher who runs the course.

          Fernanda
          On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 00:26:38 -0500 (CDT)
          Evelyn Izquierdo <izquierdo_evelyn@...> wrote:

          > Dear all:
          > Sorry for this, but I'm still a newbie in ICT. I didn't have an idea that many audio tools could be added to Moodle. Would you kindly teach me how to do that, please? Or, could you give some e-sources to find guidelines? I haven't seen that option in the Moodle version I'm currently managing.
          > Thank you so much,
          > Evelyn

        • Evelyn Izquierdo
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
            Dear Fernanda:
            Many thanks. I wonder how Daf and Gladys did it. They might tell us what to do.
            Evelyn

            Evelyn Izquierdo
            Profesora de Inglés
            Escuela de Educación
            Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
            Universidad Central de Venezuela
            Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
            E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...

          • Don Hinkelman
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
              Dear Evelyn,

              Yes, Fernanda is right. These add-in modules are often a little
              tricky to install and the system administrator needs to handle it.
              If you are like me, a teacher/admin combined, then I would make
              friends with a server-skilled person to get advice and help to learn
              the technical ins and outs of these LMSs. You would be amazed that
              people will help if you give them something in return--a word of
              praise, a cup of coffee, free English conversation, and so on. It
              also takes some effort to browse through community forums, FAQs, and
              documentation in the sites that support the software (ie: you will
              find a list of about a hundred different add-ins for moodle at this
              spot inside the moodle community forums: http://moodle.org/mod/data/
              view.php?id=6009 ).

              Another thing to point out is that with open source learning
              management systems (LMS) like Moodle, Claroline, ATutor and others,
              it is easy for organizations to program new third-party modules,
              plugins, and modifications. That's the beauty of open source.
              However, not being standard, means that they don't install
              automatically and someone has to insert a file here and line of code
              there. I am not a programmer, but I manage to handle FTP and can
              edit code when someone gives me clear instructions. Also remember
              with third-party add-ins, you have to be patient with support, bug-
              fixing, and requesting features. With volunteer labor building the
              code, it is important for us teachers to be cheerleaders and show
              appreciation for every little effort that is donated to the larger
              teaching community.

              Cheers,
              Don
              > Hi Evelyn
              > I think those modules have to be added by the system administrator,
              > not
              > by the teacher who runs the course.
              > Fernanda
              >
              > > Dear all:
              > > Sorry for this, but I'm still a newbie in ICT. I didn't have an
              > idea that many audio tools could be added to Moodle. Would you
              > kindly teach me how to do that, please? Or, could you give some e-
              > sources to find guidelines? I haven't seen that option in the
              > Moodle version I'm currently managing.
              > > Thank you so much,
              > > Evelyn

            • Venny Sou
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
                Hi Webheads:

                Come and use our Moodle at http://www.opensource.idv.tw/moodle
                If anyone need to test and learn to amdinistrate a course, please register in our Moodle, and send me email including:
                1. your register ID and email
                2. your course name

                I'd create a course for you, and you'll be the teacher of your course and create your own course.

                Gladys Baya <gladysbaya@...> wrote:
[...]

                The heart of education is made up of two elements:
                love and a willingness to set an example for children.

                Su, Cheng-chao
                http://www.opensource.idv.tw/
                http://TaiMOO.ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/
              • Ismail
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
                  Hi Don, Venny, and Evelyn,

                  Thanks for your suggestions and for suggesting this other plugin. I
                  think Moodlespeex will be a good alternative for primary use.
                  Anyhow, I still need to read the installation guidlines in order to
                  figure it out on my moodle. Hope to get back to you with some good
                  news soon once it's done on my server.

                  Yes Venny, I enjoyed visiting your Gong server and even left you a
                  note somewhere there. I hope to able to set up my own soon.

                  Don, I have another question about Tomcat server. Do you use such
                  servers in order to have a live streaming host e.g. the case in live
                  broadcasting or online radios. In some live radio links, and even in
                  the link sent by Venny, you see an ip address or link, then ":8080".
                  Is it an automatic protocol or a manual link you create to run your
                  media files? Forgive me, but I'm not sure if I am asking the right
                  questions.. Hope they have answers somehow.

                  Ismail.

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Don Hinkelman
                  <hinkel@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Evelyn, Ismail and everyone,
                  >
                  > I recommend adding Moodlespeex voiceboards as an audio recording
                  tool
                  > within Moodle forums. It does not do all the functions of a Gong
                  > server, but it is much simpler to install and works completely
                  inside
                  > Moodle. Gong requires you to set up a separate Tomcat (Java)
                  server

                  http://210.71.61.165:8080/gong/
                  > > gong.html
                  > > I have a Gong board in my Moodle (http://210.71.61.165/moodle/)
                  > > at:http://210.71.61.165/moodle/mod/gong/view.php?id=605
                  > > But you have to register an account in the Moodle first before
                  you
                  > > can use it.
                  > >
                  > > Best regards,
                  > >
                  > > Ismail <ismailfayed@...> wrote:
                  > > Hi Daf,
                  > >
                  > > Did you manage to add Gong to moodle. I am trying to do the same
                  in
                  > > my own moodle, but it didn't work yet. Any suggestions??
                  > >
                  > > Ismail.
                  > >

                  > > > Hi Evelyn,
                  > > >
                  > > > You can add the "Gong Project" voiceboard to your
                  > > > Moodle :-)
                  > > >
                  > > > You can also integrate links to MyChingo or Springdoo.
                  > > >
                  > > > Creating web pages is easy in Moodle. With some
                  > > > creativity you can design nice pages.
                  > > >
                  > > > Since I use so many tools in my courses, I just link
                  > > > them to my courses in Moodle.
                  > > >
                  > > > Evelyn, if you are using Moodle, you don´t need a YG.
                  > > > I wonder why you are thinking about using that
                  > > > combination.
                  > > >
                  > > > What I don´t like Moodle for is for large classes, it
                  > > > can get confusing.
                  > > >
                  > > > Daf

                • Buthaina Al-Othman
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 5, 2006
                    Thank you so much, Venny! This is really nice of you :)

                    Appreciate your support and cooperation..

                    Buth

                    --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Venny Sou

                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 5, 2006
                      Venny:

                      Thank you so much for your help and cooperation. I'll visit your Moodle site to test it (especially to see how the audio tools work), and find out more about Moodlespeex voiceboards.

                      Sweet regards,
                      Evelyn

                      Evelyn Izquierdo
                      Profesora de Inglés
                      Escuela de Educación
                      Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
                      Universidad Central de Venezuela
                      Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
                      E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...

                    • Delin Chiao
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 7, 2006
                        Dear Venny,

                        Thank you for supporting a friendly paltform to the teachers.
                        New semester, I want to create a new realm for my students to be independent learners in English via educational technology. Can I do it and exchange students via the platform? Please help me how to do it? Thanks! I am a teacher in Chinese Air Force Academy, Taiwan. I will be online Yahoo messagers to talk it each others.

                        Regards,
                        Delin CHIAO

                        Venny Sou <venny_sou@...> 說:
[...]

                      • Nellie Deutsch
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 8, 2006
                          Hi Gladys,
                          I just created a MOODLE learning environment for my international
                          collaborative literature project. You can join me or you can have
                          your very own hosted site for $37 which includes a domain name of
                          your choice. I can help you set it up for free.
                          Let me know if you are interested.
                          Nellie Deutsch
                          http://www.nelliemuller.com
                          University of Phoenix Doctoral Student
                          UOP Email: nelliemuller@...
                          Alternative nellie.muller.deutsch@...

                          -- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Delin Chiao

                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 8, 2006
                            Hi Delin:

                            Your course is ready at: http://www.opensource.idv.tw/moodle/course/view.php?id=37
                            Don't forget to turn editing on to put in your contents.

                            Good luck!

                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 9, 2006
                              Please, Evelyn, let me know when you plan to do this... although my own
                              course would only start about next July, I'd love to have the chance to
                              explore voice tools in Moodle too!

                              Gladys

                              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Evelyn Izquierdo
                              Venny:
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 10, 2006
                                Gladys:

                                I've been pretty busy during the last couple of weeks, and haven't had the time to visit Venny's site again. I just saw that a password is needed. Perhaps, at the end of this weekend.