Re: Moodle voice recording

  • Don Hinkelman
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 2, 2006
      Hi Evelyn, Ismail and everyone,

      I recommend adding Moodlespeex voiceboards as an audio recording tool
      within Moodle forums. It does not do all the functions of a Gong
      server, but it is much simpler to install and works completely inside
      Moodle. Gong requires you to set up a separate Tomcat (Java) server
      and it operates on that--which was too tricky for me to learn how to
      do. However, Moodlespeex requires no special server. It uses the
      Java normally installed on any client PC. Info is here: http://
      moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=418

      Regards,
      Don
      > Hi Ismail:
      >
      > Have you already had a Gong server? What problem did you meet while
      > installing Gong in your Moodle? I'd be glad to discuss with you and
      > offer my experience.
      > You can take a look at my Gong at: http://210.71.61.165:8080/gong/
      > gong.html
      > I have a Gong board in my Moodle (http://210.71.61.165/moodle/)
      > at:http://210.71.61.165/moodle/mod/gong/view.php?id=605
      > But you have to register an account in the Moodle first before you
      > can use it.
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Ismail <ismailfayed@...> wrote:
      > Hi Daf,
      >
      > Did you manage to add Gong to moodle. I am trying to do the same in
      > my own moodle, but it didn't work yet. Any suggestions??
      >
      > Ismail.
      >

      > > Hi Evelyn,
      > >
      > > You can add the "Gong Project" voiceboard to your
      > > Moodle :-)
      > >
      > > You can also integrate links to MyChingo or Springdoo.
      > >
      > > Creating web pages is easy in Moodle. With some
      > > creativity you can design nice pages.
      > >
      > > Since I use so many tools in my courses, I just link
      > > them to my courses in Moodle.
      > >
      > > Evelyn, if you are using Moodle, you don´t need a YG.
      > > I wonder why you are thinking about using that
      > > combination.
      > >
      > > What I don´t like Moodle for is for large classes, it
      > > can get confusing.
      > >
      > > Daf

    • Janet Keyser
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
        Excuse me, but "MyChingo"?? I must have missed something somewhere because that name sets off alarm bells in Mexico. Hope someone has time to explain.
        Janet

        --- Evelyn Izquierdo <izquierdo_evelyn@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear Mabel and all:
        >
        > Last July, I took an online course on how to use
        > Moodle. My experience as a user was great. I think
        > Moodle is very friendly and provides many
        > interesting tools; however, I felt that I couldn't
        > communicate as well as with a Yahoo group, or use
        > audio tools as a chat with voice, for instance.
        > Next November, I'll start a reading course by
        > using Moodle, and I want to combine it with a Yahoo
        > group and a webpage -just for general information.
        > Based on your experience, do you think it is really
        > necessary to combine Moodle with other ICT tools or
        > I would be duplicating my effort?
        >
        > I really appreciate your comments.
        > Evelyn
        >

        > Evelyn Izquierdo
        > Profesora de Inglés
        > Escuela de Educación
        > Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
        > Universidad Central de Venezuela
        > Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
        > E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...

        > removed]

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Moira Hunter
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
          Hello Janet,

          Michael Bailey appears to be now aware "that name sets off alarm bells" and he writes on the site http://www.mobasoft.com/wordpress/?page_id=6

          "Currently, I am switching the MyChingo service over to Mobatalk.com as there was a possible issue with a derived meaning of the word Chingo in spanish. MyChingo was named for Chingo meaning "Chat Lingo", however, there are some people who twisted it a bit and found an obscure reference in the online Urban Dictionary".

          Hope this helps :-)

          Moira

          Janet Keyser <xochimilcojanet@...> wrote: Excuse me, but "MyChingo"?? I must have missed something somewhere because that name sets off alarm bells in Mexico. Hope someone has time to explain.
          Janet

          wrote:

          > Dear Mabel and all:
          >
          > Last July, I took an online course on how to use
          > Moodle. My experience as a user was great. I think
          > Moodle is very friendly and provides many
          > interesting tools; however, I felt that I couldn't
          > communicate as well as with a Yahoo group, or use
          > audio tools as a chat with voice, for instance.
          > Next November, I'll start a reading course by
          > using Moodle, and I want to combine it with a Yahoo
          > group and a webpage -just for general information.
          > Based on your experience, do you think it is really
          > necessary to combine Moodle with other ICT tools or
          > I would be duplicating my effort?
          >
          > I really appreciate your comments.
          > Evelyn
          >

          > Evelyn Izquierdo
          > Profesora de Inglés
          > Escuela de Educación
          > Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
          > Universidad Central de Venezuela
          > Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
          > E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...

          > removed]

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Janet Keyser
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
            Thanks, Moira. The verb "chingar" is very, very common and very, very rude in Mexico City (and in fact, all over the country and in the U.S.)! It's good that he's changing the name.

            Moira Hunter <moira_hunter2005@...> wrote: Hello Janet,

            wrote:

            > Dear Mabel and all:
            >
            > Last July, I took an online course on how to use
            > Moodle. My experience as a user was great. I think
            > Moodle is very friendly and provides many
            > interesting tools; however, I felt that I couldn't
            > communicate as well as with a Yahoo group, or use
            > audio tools as a chat with voice, for instance.
            > Next November, I'll start a reading course by
            > using Moodle, and I want to combine it with a Yahoo
            > group and a webpage -just for general information.
            > Based on your experience, do you think it is really
            > necessary to combine Moodle with other ICT tools or
            > I would be duplicating my effort?
            >
            > I really appreciate your comments.
            > Evelyn
            >

            > Evelyn Izquierdo
            > Profesora de Inglés
            > Escuela de Educación
            > Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
            > Universidad Central de Venezuela
            > Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
            > E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...

            > removed]

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Gladys Baya
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
              Hi!
              I'm also a keen supporter of Moodle, which I've tried both as a
              learner and as an online facilitator... Only platform I feel as
              comfortable as in a classroom.
              Loved your tip on adding Moodlespeex voiceboards... had no idea that
              existed... We've tried Skype as as supplement, but not everybody has
              it... and an integrated tool is always better, I think...

              I have one big doubt concerning Moodle... 2 years ago, at an EVO
              workshop on using Moodle, it was mentioned that sometimes people who
              have free space on their Moodles generously "lend" it to others who
              need it for a while... I've always used Moodle on a course run by a
              foreign foundation, so I only know how to use it once the course has
              been set up (i.e. I don't know anything about administration)... I've
              just been asked to submit a proposal for an online course for 2007
              for an Argentinian foundation with no experience in online teaching
              and no server of their own... Are there any real chances that
              somebody might allow me to use some space on their Moodle eventually?
              Would that mean that person would set up the course for me, and then
              I'd be in charge?

              I'd thought of relying just on a Yahoo! group + a website (I think
              that'd be nicer than Nicenet, which I find too statistical and
              neither fostering communication nor appealing to the eye), but if
              there was a chance to use Moodle, it'd be great!

              Gladys
            • Evelyn Izquierdo
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
                Dear all:
                Sorry for this, but I'm still a newbie in ICT. I didn't have an idea that many audio tools could be added to Moodle. Would you kindly teach me how to do that, please? Or, could you give some e-sources to find guidelines? I haven't seen that option in the Moodle version I'm currently managing.
                Thank you so much,
                Evelyn

                Evelyn Izquierdo
                Profesora de Inglés
                Escuela de Educación
                Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
                Universidad Central de Venezuela
                Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
                E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...

              • Fernanda Rodrigues
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
                  Hi Evelyn
                  I think those modules have to be added by the system administrator, not
                  by the teacher who runs the course.

                  Fernanda
                  On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 00:26:38 -0500 (CDT)
                  Evelyn Izquierdo <izquierdo_evelyn@...> wrote:

                  > Dear all:
                  > Sorry for this, but I'm still a newbie in ICT. I didn't have an idea that many audio tools could be added to Moodle. Would you kindly teach me how to do that, please? Or, could you give some e-sources to find guidelines? I haven't seen that option in the Moodle version I'm currently managing.
                  > Thank you so much,
                  > Evelyn

                • Evelyn Izquierdo
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
                    Dear Fernanda:
                    Many thanks. I wonder how Daf and Gladys did it. They might tell us what to do.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
                      Dear Evelyn,

                      Yes, Fernanda is right. These add-in modules are often a little
                      tricky to install and the system administrator needs to handle it.
                      If you are like me, a teacher/admin combined, then I would make
                      friends with a server-skilled person to get advice and help to learn
                      the technical ins and outs of these LMSs. You would be amazed that
                      people will help if you give them something in return--a word of
                      praise, a cup of coffee, free English conversation, and so on. It
                      also takes some effort to browse through community forums, FAQs, and
                      documentation in the sites that support the software (ie: you will
                      find a list of about a hundred different add-ins for moodle at this
                      spot inside the moodle community forums: http://moodle.org/mod/data/
                      view.php?id=6009 ).

                      Another thing to point out is that with open source learning
                      management systems (LMS) like Moodle, Claroline, ATutor and others,
                      it is easy for organizations to program new third-party modules,
                      plugins, and modifications. That's the beauty of open source.
                      However, not being standard, means that they don't install
                      automatically and someone has to insert a file here and line of code
                      there. I am not a programmer, but I manage to handle FTP and can
                      edit code when someone gives me clear instructions. Also remember
                      with third-party add-ins, you have to be patient with support, bug-
                      fixing, and requesting features. With volunteer labor building the
                      code, it is important for us teachers to be cheerleaders and show
                      appreciation for every little effort that is donated to the larger
                      teaching community.

                      Cheers,
                      Don
                      > Hi Evelyn
                      > I think those modules have to be added by the system administrator,
                      > not
                      > by the teacher who runs the course.
                      > Fernanda
                      >
                      > > Dear all:
                      > > Sorry for this, but I'm still a newbie in ICT. I didn't have an
                      > idea that many audio tools could be added to Moodle. Would you
                      > kindly teach me how to do that, please? Or, could you give some e-
                      > sources to find guidelines? I haven't seen that option in the
                      > Moodle version I'm currently managing.
                      > > Thank you so much,
                      > > Evelyn

                    • Venny Sou
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
                        Hi Webheads:

                        Come and use our Moodle at http://www.opensource.idv.tw/moodle
                        If anyone need to test and learn to amdinistrate a course, please register in our Moodle, and send me email including:
                        1. your register ID and email
                        2. your course name

                        I'd create a course for you, and you'll be the teacher of your course and create your own course.

                        Gladys Baya <gladysbaya@...> wrote:
[...]

                        The heart of education is made up of two elements:
                        love and a willingness to set an example for children.

                        Su, Cheng-chao
                        http://www.opensource.idv.tw/
                        http://TaiMOO.ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/
                      • Ismail
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
                          Hi Don, Venny, and Evelyn,

                          Thanks for your suggestions and for suggesting this other plugin. I
                          think Moodlespeex will be a good alternative for primary use.
                          Anyhow, I still need to read the installation guidlines in order to
                          figure it out on my moodle. Hope to get back to you with some good
                          news soon once it's done on my server.

                          Yes Venny, I enjoyed visiting your Gong server and even left you a
                          note somewhere there. I hope to able to set up my own soon.

                          Don, I have another question about Tomcat server. Do you use such
                          servers in order to have a live streaming host e.g. the case in live
                          broadcasting or online radios. In some live radio links, and even in
                          the link sent by Venny, you see an ip address or link, then ":8080".
                          Is it an automatic protocol or a manual link you create to run your
                          media files? Forgive me, but I'm not sure if I am asking the right
                          questions.. Hope they have answers somehow.

                          Ismail.

                          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Don Hinkelman
                          <hinkel@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Evelyn, Ismail and everyone,
                          >
                          > I recommend adding Moodlespeex voiceboards as an audio recording
                          tool
                          > within Moodle forums. It does not do all the functions of a Gong
                          > server, but it is much simpler to install and works completely
                          inside
                          > Moodle. Gong requires you to set up a separate Tomcat (Java)
                          server
                          > and it operates on that--which was too tricky for me to learn how
                          > do. However, Moodlespeex requires no special server. It uses
                          the
                          > Java normally installed on any client PC. Info is here: http://
                          > moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=418
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > Don
                          > > Hi Ismail:
                          > >
                          > > Have you already had a Gong server? What problem did you meet
                          while
                          > > installing Gong in your Moodle? I'd be glad to discuss with you
                          and
                          > > offer my experience.
                          > > You can take a look at my Gong at:
                          http://210.71.61.165:8080/gong/
                          > > gong.html
                          > > I have a Gong board in my Moodle (http://210.71.61.165/moodle/)
                          > > at:http://210.71.61.165/moodle/mod/gong/view.php?id=605
                          > > But you have to register an account in the Moodle first before
                          you
                          > > can use it.
                          > >
                          > > Best regards,
                          > >
                          > > Ismail <ismailfayed@...> wrote:
                          > > Hi Daf,
                          > >
                          > > Did you manage to add Gong to moodle. I am trying to do the same
                          in
                          > > my own moodle, but it didn't work yet. Any suggestions??
                          > >
                          > > Ismail.
                          > >

                          > > > Hi Evelyn,
                          > > >
                          > > > You can add the "Gong Project" voiceboard to your
                          > > > Moodle :-)
                          > > >
                          > > > You can also integrate links to MyChingo or Springdoo.
                          > > >
                          > > > Creating web pages is easy in Moodle. With some
                          > > > creativity you can design nice pages.
                          > > >
                          > > > Since I use so many tools in my courses, I just link
                          > > > them to my courses in Moodle.
                          > > >
                          > > > Evelyn, if you are using Moodle, you don´t need a YG.
                          > > > I wonder why you are thinking about using that
                          > > > combination.
                          > > >
                          > > > What I don´t like Moodle for is for large classes, it
                          > > > can get confusing.
                          > > >
                          > > > Daf

                        • Buthaina Al-Othman
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 5, 2006
                            Thank you so much, Venny! This is really nice of you :)

                            Appreciate your support and cooperation..

                            Buth

                            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Venny Sou

                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 5, 2006
                              Venny:

                              Thank you so much for your help and cooperation. I'll visit your Moodle site to test it (especially to see how the audio tools work), and find out more about Moodlespeex voiceboards.

                              Sweet regards,
                              Evelyn

                              Evelyn Izquierdo
                              Profesora de Inglés
                              Escuela de Educación
                              Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
                              Universidad Central de Venezuela
                              Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
                              E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...

                            • Delin Chiao
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 7, 2006
                                Dear Venny,

                                Thank you for supporting a friendly paltform to the teachers.
                                New semester, I want to create a new realm for my students to be independent learners in English via educational technology. Can I do it and exchange students via the platform? Please help me how to do it? Thanks! I am a teacher in Chinese Air Force Academy, Taiwan. I will be online Yahoo messagers to talk it each others.

                                Regards,
                                Delin CHIAO

                                Venny Sou <venny_sou@...> 說:
[...]

                              • Nellie Deutsch
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 8, 2006
                                  Hi Gladys,
                                  I just created a MOODLE learning environment for my international
                                  collaborative literature project. You can join me or you can have
                                  your very own hosted site for $37 which includes a domain name of
                                  your choice. I can help you set it up for free.
                                  Let me know if you are interested.
                                  Nellie Deutsch
                                  http://www.nelliemuller.com
                                  University of Phoenix Doctoral Student
                                  UOP Email: nelliemuller@...
                                  Alternative nellie.muller.deutsch@...

                                  -- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Delin Chiao

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 8, 2006
                                    Hi Delin:

                                    Your course is ready at: http://www.opensource.idv.tw/moodle/course/view.php?id=37
                                    Don't forget to turn editing on to put in your contents.

                                    Good luck!

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 9, 2006
                                      Please, Evelyn, let me know when you plan to do this... although my own
                                      course would only start about next July, I'd love to have the chance to
                                      explore voice tools in Moodle too!

                                      Gladys

                                      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Evelyn Izquierdo
                                      Venny:
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 10, 2006
                                        Gladys:

                                        I've been pretty busy during the last couple of weeks, and haven't had the time to visit Venny's site again. I just saw that a password is needed. Perhaps, at the end of this weekend.