Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Moodle

  • Dafne
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 2, 2006
      Hi Evelyn,

      You can add the "Gong Project" voiceboard to your
      Moodle :-)

      You can also integrate links to MyChingo or Springdoo.

      Creating web pages is easy in Moodle. With some
      creativity you can design nice pages.

      Since I use so many tools in my courses, I just link
      them to my courses in Moodle.

      Evelyn, if you are using Moodle, you don´t need a YG.
      I wonder why you are thinking about using that
      combination.

      What I don´t like Moodle for is for large classes, it
      can get confusing.

      Daf

      --- Evelyn Izquierdo <izquierdo_evelyn@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Mabel and all:
      >
      > Last July, I took an online course on how to use
      > Moodle. My experience as a user was great. I think
      > Moodle is very friendly and provides many
      > interesting tools; however, I felt that I couldn't
      > communicate as well as with a Yahoo group, or use
      > audio tools as a chat with voice, for instance.
      > Next November, I'll start a reading course by
      > using Moodle, and I want to combine it with a Yahoo
      > group and a webpage -just for general information.
      > Based on your experience, do you think it is really
      > necessary to combine Moodle with other ICT tools or
      > I would be duplicating my effort?
      >
      > I really appreciate your comments.
      > Evelyn
      >

      > Evelyn Izquierdo
      > Profesora de Inglés
      > Escuela de Educación
      > Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
      > Universidad Central de Venezuela
      > Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
      > E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...

      > removed]

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ismail
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 2, 2006
        Hi Daf,

        Did you manage to add Gong to moodle. I am trying to do the same in
        my own moodle, but it didn't work yet. Any suggestions??

        Ismail.

        > Hi Evelyn,
        >
        > You can add the "Gong Project" voiceboard to your
        > Moodle :-)
        >
        > You can also integrate links to MyChingo or Springdoo.
        >
        > Creating web pages is easy in Moodle. With some
        > creativity you can design nice pages.
        >
        > Since I use so many tools in my courses, I just link
        > them to my courses in Moodle.
        >
        > Evelyn, if you are using Moodle, you don´t need a YG.
        > I wonder why you are thinking about using that
        > combination.
        >
        > What I don´t like Moodle for is for large classes, it
        > can get confusing.
        >
        > Daf

      • Venny Sou
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 2, 2006
          Hi Ismail:

          Have you already had a Gong server? What problem did you meet while installing Gong in your Moodle? I'd be glad to discuss with you and offer my experience.
          You can take a look at my Gong at: http://210.71.61.165:8080/gong/gong.html
          I have a Gong board in my Moodle (http://210.71.61.165/moodle/) at: http://210.71.61.165/moodle/mod/gong/view.php?id=605
          But you have to register an account in the Moodle first before you can use it.

          Best regards,

          Ismail <ismailfayed@...> wrote:
          Hi Daf,

          Did you manage to add Gong to moodle. I am trying to do the same in
          my own moodle, but it didn't work yet. Any suggestions??

          Ismail.

          > Hi Evelyn,
          >
          > You can add the "Gong Project" voiceboard to your
          > Moodle :-)
          >
          > You can also integrate links to MyChingo or Springdoo.
          >
          > Creating web pages is easy in Moodle. With some
          > creativity you can design nice pages.
          >
          > Since I use so many tools in my courses, I just link
          > them to my courses in Moodle.
          >
          > Evelyn, if you are using Moodle, you don´t need a YG.
          > I wonder why you are thinking about using that
          > combination.
          >
          > What I don´t like Moodle for is for large classes, it
          > can get confusing.
          >
          > Daf

          The heart of education is made up of two elements:
          love and a willingness to set an example for children.

          Su, Cheng-chao
          http://www.opensource.idv.tw/
          http://TaiMOO.ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/
        • Don Hinkelman
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 2, 2006
            Hi Evelyn, Ismail and everyone,

            I recommend adding Moodlespeex voiceboards as an audio recording tool
            within Moodle forums. It does not do all the functions of a Gong
            server, but it is much simpler to install and works completely inside
            Moodle. Gong requires you to set up a separate Tomcat (Java) server
            and it operates on that--which was too tricky for me to learn how to
            do. However, Moodlespeex requires no special server. It uses the
            Java normally installed on any client PC. Info is here: http://
            moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=418

            Regards,
            Don
            > Hi Ismail:
            >
            > Have you already had a Gong server? What problem did you meet while
            > installing Gong in your Moodle? I'd be glad to discuss with you and
            > offer my experience.
            > You can take a look at my Gong at: http://210.71.61.165:8080/gong/
            > gong.html
            > I have a Gong board in my Moodle (http://210.71.61.165/moodle/)
            > at:http://210.71.61.165/moodle/mod/gong/view.php?id=605
            > But you have to register an account in the Moodle first before you
            > can use it.
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > Ismail <ismailfayed@...> wrote:
            > Hi Daf,
            >
            > Did you manage to add Gong to moodle. I am trying to do the same in
            > my own moodle, but it didn't work yet. Any suggestions??
            >
            > Ismail.
            >

            > > Hi Evelyn,
            > >
            > > You can add the "Gong Project" voiceboard to your
            > > Moodle :-)
            > >
            > > You can also integrate links to MyChingo or Springdoo.
            > >
            > > Creating web pages is easy in Moodle. With some
            > > creativity you can design nice pages.
            > >
            > > Since I use so many tools in my courses, I just link
            > > them to my courses in Moodle.
            > >
            > > Evelyn, if you are using Moodle, you don´t need a YG.
            > > I wonder why you are thinking about using that
            > > combination.
            > >
            > > What I don´t like Moodle for is for large classes, it
            > > can get confusing.
            > >
            > > Daf

          • Janet Keyser
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
              Excuse me, but "MyChingo"?? I must have missed something somewhere because that name sets off alarm bells in Mexico. Hope someone has time to explain.
              Janet

              wrote:

              > Dear Mabel and all:
              >
              > Last July, I took an online course on how to use
              > Moodle. My experience as a user was great. I think
              > Moodle is very friendly and provides many
              > interesting tools; however, I felt that I couldn't
              > communicate as well as with a Yahoo group, or use
              > audio tools as a chat with voice, for instance.
              > Next November, I'll start a reading course by
              > using Moodle, and I want to combine it with a Yahoo
              > group and a webpage -just for general information.
              > Based on your experience, do you think it is really
              > necessary to combine Moodle with other ICT tools or
              > I would be duplicating my effort?
              >
              > I really appreciate your comments.
              > Evelyn
              >

              > Evelyn Izquierdo
              > Profesora de Inglés
              > Escuela de Educación
              > Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
              > Universidad Central de Venezuela
              > Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
              > E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...

              > removed]

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Moira Hunter
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
                Hello Janet,

                Michael Bailey appears to be now aware "that name sets off alarm bells" and he writes on the site http://www.mobasoft.com/wordpress/?page_id=6

                "Currently, I am switching the MyChingo service over to Mobatalk.com as there was a possible issue with a derived meaning of the word Chingo in spanish. MyChingo was named for Chingo meaning "Chat Lingo", however, there are some people who twisted it a bit and found an obscure reference in the online Urban Dictionary".

                Hope this helps :-)

                Moira

                Janet Keyser <xochimilcojanet@...> wrote: Excuse me, but "MyChingo"?? I must have missed something somewhere because that name sets off alarm bells in Mexico. Hope someone has time to explain.
                Janet

                wrote:

                > Dear Mabel and all:
                >
                > Last July, I took an online course on how to use
                > Moodle. My experience as a user was great. I think
                > Moodle is very friendly and provides many
                > interesting tools; however, I felt that I couldn't
                > communicate as well as with a Yahoo group, or use
                > audio tools as a chat with voice, for instance.
                > Next November, I'll start a reading course by
                > using Moodle, and I want to combine it with a Yahoo
                > group and a webpage -just for general information.
                > Based on your experience, do you think it is really
                > necessary to combine Moodle with other ICT tools or
                > I would be duplicating my effort?
                >
                > I really appreciate your comments.
                > Evelyn
                >

                > Evelyn Izquierdo
                > Profesora de Inglés
                > Escuela de Educación
                > Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
                > Universidad Central de Venezuela
                > Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
                > E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...

                > removed]

                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • Janet Keyser
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
                  Thanks, Moira. The verb "chingar" is very, very common and very, very rude in Mexico City (and in fact, all over the country and in the U.S.)! It's good that he's changing the name.

                  Moira Hunter <moira_hunter2005@...> wrote: Hello Janet,

                  wrote:

                  > Dear Mabel and all:
                  >
                  > Last July, I took an online course on how to use
                  > Moodle. My experience as a user was great. I think
                  > Moodle is very friendly and provides many
                  > interesting tools; however, I felt that I couldn't
                  > communicate as well as with a Yahoo group, or use
                  > audio tools as a chat with voice, for instance.
                  > Next November, I'll start a reading course by
                  > using Moodle, and I want to combine it with a Yahoo
                  > group and a webpage -just for general information.
                  > Based on your experience, do you think it is really
                  > necessary to combine Moodle with other ICT tools or
                  > I would be duplicating my effort?
                  >
                  > I really appreciate your comments.
                  > Evelyn
                  >

                  > Evelyn Izquierdo
                  > Profesora de Inglés
                  > Escuela de Educación
                  > Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
                  > Universidad Central de Venezuela
                  > Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
                  > E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...

                  > removed]

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Gladys Baya
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
                    Hi!
                    I'm also a keen supporter of Moodle, which I've tried both as a
                    learner and as an online facilitator... Only platform I feel as
                    comfortable as in a classroom.
                    Loved your tip on adding Moodlespeex voiceboards... had no idea that
                    existed... We've tried Skype as as supplement, but not everybody has
                    it... and an integrated tool is always better, I think...

                    I have one big doubt concerning Moodle... 2 years ago, at an EVO
                    workshop on using Moodle, it was mentioned that sometimes people who
                    have free space on their Moodles generously "lend" it to others who
                    need it for a while... I've always used Moodle on a course run by a
                    foreign foundation, so I only know how to use it once the course has
                    been set up (i.e. I don't know anything about administration)... I've
                    just been asked to submit a proposal for an online course for 2007
                    for an Argentinian foundation with no experience in online teaching
                    and no server of their own... Are there any real chances that
                    somebody might allow me to use some space on their Moodle eventually?
                    Would that mean that person would set up the course for me, and then
                    I'd be in charge?

                    I'd thought of relying just on a Yahoo! group + a website (I think
                    that'd be nicer than Nicenet, which I find too statistical and
                    neither fostering communication nor appealing to the eye), but if
                    there was a chance to use Moodle, it'd be great!

                    Gladys
                  • Evelyn Izquierdo
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
                      Dear all:
                      Sorry for this, but I'm still a newbie in ICT. I didn't have an idea that many audio tools could be added to Moodle. Would you kindly teach me how to do that, please? Or, could you give some e-sources to find guidelines? I haven't seen that option in the Moodle version I'm currently managing.
                      Thank you so much,
                      Evelyn

                      Evelyn Izquierdo
                      Profesora de Inglés
                      Escuela de Educación
                      Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
                      Universidad Central de Venezuela
                      Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
                      E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...

                    • Fernanda Rodrigues
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
                        Hi Evelyn
                        I think those modules have to be added by the system administrator, not
                        by the teacher who runs the course.

                        Fernanda
                        On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 00:26:38 -0500 (CDT)
                        Evelyn Izquierdo <izquierdo_evelyn@...> wrote:

                        > Dear all:
                        > Sorry for this, but I'm still a newbie in ICT. I didn't have an idea that many audio tools could be added to Moodle. Would you kindly teach me how to do that, please? Or, could you give some e-sources to find guidelines? I haven't seen that option in the Moodle version I'm currently managing.
                        > Thank you so much,
                        > Evelyn

                      • Evelyn Izquierdo
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
                          Dear Fernanda:
                          Many thanks. I wonder how Daf and Gladys did it. They might tell us what to do.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
                            Dear Evelyn,

                            Yes, Fernanda is right. These add-in modules are often a little
                            tricky to install and the system administrator needs to handle it.
                            If you are like me, a teacher/admin combined, then I would make
                            friends with a server-skilled person to get advice and help to learn
                            the technical ins and outs of these LMSs. You would be amazed that
                            people will help if you give them something in return--a word of
                            praise, a cup of coffee, free English conversation, and so on. It
                            also takes some effort to browse through community forums, FAQs, and
                            documentation in the sites that support the software (ie: you will
                            find a list of about a hundred different add-ins for moodle at this
                            spot inside the moodle community forums: http://moodle.org/mod/data/
                            view.php?id=6009 ).

                            Another thing to point out is that with open source learning
                            management systems (LMS) like Moodle, Claroline, ATutor and others,
                            it is easy for organizations to program new third-party modules,
                            plugins, and modifications. That's the beauty of open source.
                            However, not being standard, means that they don't install
                            automatically and someone has to insert a file here and line of code
                            there. I am not a programmer, but I manage to handle FTP and can
                            edit code when someone gives me clear instructions. Also remember
                            with third-party add-ins, you have to be patient with support, bug-
                            fixing, and requesting features. With volunteer labor building the
                            code, it is important for us teachers to be cheerleaders and show
                            appreciation for every little effort that is donated to the larger
                            teaching community.

                            Cheers,
                            Don
                            > Hi Evelyn
                            > I think those modules have to be added by the system administrator,
                            > not
                            > by the teacher who runs the course.
                            > Fernanda
                            >
                            > > Dear all:
                            > > Sorry for this, but I'm still a newbie in ICT. I didn't have an
                            > idea that many audio tools could be added to Moodle. Would you
                            > kindly teach me how to do that, please? Or, could you give some e-
                            > sources to find guidelines? I haven't seen that option in the
                            > Moodle version I'm currently managing.
                            > > Thank you so much,
                            > > Evelyn

                          • Venny Sou
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
                              Hi Webheads:

                              Come and use our Moodle at http://www.opensource.idv.tw/moodle
                              If anyone need to test and learn to amdinistrate a course, please register in our Moodle, and send me email including:
                              1. your register ID and email
                              2. your course name

                              I'd create a course for you, and you'll be the teacher of your course and create your own course.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
                                Hi Don, Venny, and Evelyn,

                                Thanks for your suggestions and for suggesting this other plugin. I
                                think Moodlespeex will be a good alternative for primary use.
                                Anyhow, I still need to read the installation guidlines in order to
                                figure it out on my moodle. Hope to get back to you with some good
                                news soon once it's done on my server.

                                Yes Venny, I enjoyed visiting your Gong server and even left you a
                                note somewhere there. I hope to able to set up my own soon.

                                Don, I have another question about Tomcat server. Do you use such
                                servers in order to have a live streaming host e.g. the case in live
                                broadcasting or online radios. In some live radio links, and even in
                                the link sent by Venny, you see an ip address or link, then ":8080".
                                Is it an automatic protocol or a manual link you create to run your
                                media files? Forgive me, but I'm not sure if I am asking the right
                                questions.. Hope they have answers somehow.

                                Ismail.

                                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Don Hinkelman
                                <hinkel@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Evelyn, Ismail and everyone,
                                >
                                > I recommend adding Moodlespeex voiceboards as an audio recording
                                tool
                                > within Moodle forums. It does not do all the functions of a Gong
                                > server, but it is much simpler to install and works completely
                                inside
                                > Moodle. Gong requires you to set up a separate Tomcat (Java)
                                server
                                > and it operates on that--which was too tricky for me to learn how
                                > do. However, Moodlespeex requires no special server. It uses
                                the
                                > Java normally installed on any client PC. Info is here: http://
                                > moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=418
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                > Don
                                > > Hi Ismail:
                                > >
                                > > Have you already had a Gong server? What problem did you meet
                                while
                                > > installing Gong in your Moodle? I'd be glad to discuss with you
                                and
                                > > offer my experience.
                                > > You can take a look at my Gong at:
                                http://210.71.61.165:8080/gong/
                                > > gong.html
                                > > I have a Gong board in my Moodle (http://210.71.61.165/moodle/)
                                > > at:http://210.71.61.165/moodle/mod/gong/view.php?id=605
                                > > But you have to register an account in the Moodle first before
                                you
                                > > can use it.
                                > >
                                > > Best regards,
                                > >
                                > > Ismail <ismailfayed@...> wrote:
                                > > Hi Daf,
                                > >
                                > > Did you manage to add Gong to moodle. I am trying to do the same
                                in
                                > > my own moodle, but it didn't work yet. Any suggestions??
                                > >
                                > > Ismail.
                                > >

                                > > > Hi Evelyn,
                                > > >
                                > > > You can add the "Gong Project" voiceboard to your
                                > > > Moodle :-)
                                > > >
                                > > > You can also integrate links to MyChingo or Springdoo.
                                > > >
                                > > > Creating web pages is easy in Moodle. With some
                                > > > creativity you can design nice pages.
                                > > >
                                > > > Since I use so many tools in my courses, I just link
                                > > > them to my courses in Moodle.
                                > > >
                                > > > Evelyn, if you are using Moodle, you don´t need a YG.
                                > > > I wonder why you are thinking about using that
                                > > > combination.
                                > > >
                                > > > What I don´t like Moodle for is for large classes, it
                                > > > can get confusing.
                                > > >
                                > > > Daf

                              • Buthaina Al-Othman
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 5, 2006
                                  Thank you so much, Venny! This is really nice of you :)

                                  Appreciate your support and cooperation..

                                  Buth

                                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Venny Sou

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 5, 2006
                                    Venny:

                                    Thank you so much for your help and cooperation. I'll visit your Moodle site to test it (especially to see how the audio tools work), and find out more about Moodlespeex voiceboards.

                                    Sweet regards,
                                    Evelyn

                                    Evelyn Izquierdo
                                    Profesora de Inglés
                                    Escuela de Educación
                                    Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
                                    Universidad Central de Venezuela
                                    Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
                                    E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...

                                  • Delin Chiao
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 7, 2006
                                      Dear Venny,

                                      Thank you for supporting a friendly paltform to the teachers.
                                      New semester, I want to create a new realm for my students to be independent learners in English via educational technology. Can I do it and exchange students via the platform? Please help me how to do it? Thanks! I am a teacher in Chinese Air Force Academy, Taiwan. I will be online Yahoo messagers to talk it each others.

                                      Regards,
                                      Delin CHIAO

                                      Venny Sou <venny_sou@...> 說:
[...]

                                    • Nellie Deutsch
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 8, 2006
                                        Hi Gladys,
                                        I just created a MOODLE learning environment for my international
                                        collaborative literature project. You can join me or you can have
                                        your very own hosted site for $37 which includes a domain name of
                                        your choice. I can help you set it up for free.
                                        Let me know if you are interested.
                                        Nellie Deutsch
                                        http://www.nelliemuller.com
                                        University of Phoenix Doctoral Student
                                        UOP Email: nelliemuller@...
                                        Alternative nellie.muller.deutsch@...

                                        -- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Delin Chiao

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 8, 2006
                                          Hi Delin:

                                          Your course is ready at: http://www.opensource.idv.tw/moodle/course/view.php?id=37
                                          Don't forget to turn editing on to put in your contents.

                                          Good luck!

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 9, 2006
                                            Please, Evelyn, let me know when you plan to do this... although my own
                                            course would only start about next July, I'd love to have the chance to
                                            explore voice tools in Moodle too!

                                            Gladys

                                            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Evelyn Izquierdo
                                            Venny:
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Oct 10, 2006
                                              Gladys:

                                              I've been pretty busy during the last couple of weeks, and haven't had the time to visit Venny's site again. I just saw that a password is needed. Perhaps, at the end of this weekend.