Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Software for internet-based courses

  • Clare James
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 17, 2002
      (Oops -- too early in the morning for optimal brain function!) I like
      the general idea, I mean.
      CJ
    • Rita Zeinstejer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18, 2002
        Hi, Ron
        I am an EFL teacher in Argentina, still in the process of learning and pressing institutional organizers for the appropriate resources to be able to put into practice everything we are all sharing in this enriching community. In my situation, I do not yet have the experience to produce practical evaluations, but from everything I´ve seen so far, and considering our stds' needs as learners of a foreign language, I can tell you this is one of the most practical layouts I have seen and which would meet our own needs, as to the distribution of areas and instructions for stds to find their way clearly. I also find the whole site easy to navigate, the structure of the Assignment Page precise, and the aims in each working area very helpful.Congrats!
        Rita

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 18, 2002
          At 05:01 AM 18/07/2002 +0000, you wrote:
          >Hello everyone! I've been rather busy and unable to participate in
          >this listserv since I joined a few months ago. I want to respond to
          >the software issue.
          >When I first began working with ESL students in an online environment,
          >I used commercial software to develop the site for my students. I've
          >used Blackboard and E-College and I liked them both. I needed more
          >control over how information was being delivered to my students and
          >decided to create my own online course by creating simple to read web
          >pages. The commercial software tends to have too much distraction and
          >too much information not needed by ESL students. The students like the
          >simple approach and can hardly wait to get started (me too). I am
          >enjoying the learning aspect of constructing my own site using
          >Dreamweaver. It is still under construction and if you would like to
          >take a look at it, I would appreciate any comments. http://www.m-z.biz
          >Just click where it says "Test Site" or click on the construction
          >image. Thanks. Ron Fujihara

          Ron - I really like what you are doing here. Particularly how you explain
          for example what the purpose of the message board is. Love the idea of the
          daily agenda too.

          You are illustrating some excellent navigation principles too (providing
          multiple paths to the same info) and I might just pinch a few of your ideas
          for the courses I run with staff (not ESLstudents.) They also need
          simplicity and clarity.

          Incidentally I teach using WebCT and I think you do have a fair bit of
          control over what your students do and don't see. But that's my opinion.

          Thanks for sharing this site Ron.

          - Michael Coghlan.
        • eaglerrf
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 19, 2002
            Thank you for taking a look at the still under construction web site.
            I have made some corrections as noted and will change the yucky yellow
            background. I am going to add a checklist for the students to use
            when checking other student's work. I feel I'm on the right track
            anyway. I'm also going to read up (my summer reading)on assessing
            student's work for this kind of environment. Would also like to
            incorporate a web cam at two different school locations. Or is anyone
            else using web cams and would like to connect?
            Ron Fujihara
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 22, 2002
              Hi Ron,

              I had a look at your site as well. I've added mention of your site to your
              information page here:
              http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/community.htm#ron_fujihara

              Good luck with your projects, and keep us updated on your progress.

              Vance