Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Software for internet-based courses

  • Clare James
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 17, 2002
      Ron --

      Ideas, design, general impressions
      I like it the general idea. Looks friendly and helpful, makes sense,
      good mission statement. But you could lose the distracting yellow
      wallpaper. In places you might choose simpler words -- "choose" instead
      of "select", "join" instead of "participate", etc. And why the
      hole-in-the-road pic on your home page?

      Minor details:
      I'd rewrite the sentence after "Expected . . ." as
      ". . . and lifelong learners who can apply their acquired skills to
      real-world situations."
      (But I'm British.)
      And No. 2 on the Assignment Page as "Please write your name at the top
      of the page on all assignments you send me."
      On the Assignment Page you've written " wrtten".
      That sort of thing.

      All for now.
      Best,
      Clare

      Clare James, BSc (Econ), Dipl. RSA, translator@...
      English-language consultant, authorised public translator from Swedish
      into English, EFL teacher, writer, editor, writing coach, moderator of
      Sweet Clarity (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SweetClarity) and blogger
      (http://www.english-for-you.blogspot.com/)
    • Clare James
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 17, 2002
        (Oops -- too early in the morning for optimal brain function!) I like
        the general idea, I mean.
        CJ
      • Rita Zeinstejer
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 18, 2002
          Hi, Ron
          I am an EFL teacher in Argentina, still in the process of learning and pressing institutional organizers for the appropriate resources to be able to put into practice everything we are all sharing in this enriching community. In my situation, I do not yet have the experience to produce practical evaluations, but from everything I´ve seen so far, and considering our stds' needs as learners of a foreign language, I can tell you this is one of the most practical layouts I have seen and which would meet our own needs, as to the distribution of areas and instructions for stds to find their way clearly. I also find the whole site easy to navigate, the structure of the Assignment Page precise, and the aims in each working area very helpful.Congrats!
          Rita

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Syllabus:

        • Michael Coghlan
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 18, 2002
            At 05:01 AM 18/07/2002 +0000, you wrote:
            >Hello everyone! I've been rather busy and unable to participate in
            >this listserv since I joined a few months ago. I want to respond to
            >the software issue.
            >When I first began working with ESL students in an online environment,
            >I used commercial software to develop the site for my students. I've
            >used Blackboard and E-College and I liked them both. I needed more
            >control over how information was being delivered to my students and
            >decided to create my own online course by creating simple to read web
            >pages. The commercial software tends to have too much distraction and
            >too much information not needed by ESL students. The students like the
            >simple approach and can hardly wait to get started (me too). I am
            >enjoying the learning aspect of constructing my own site using
            >Dreamweaver. It is still under construction and if you would like to
            >take a look at it, I would appreciate any comments. http://www.m-z.biz
            >Just click where it says "Test Site" or click on the construction
            >image. Thanks. Ron Fujihara

            Ron - I really like what you are doing here. Particularly how you explain
            for example what the purpose of the message board is. Love the idea of the
            daily agenda too.

            You are illustrating some excellent navigation principles too (providing
            multiple paths to the same info) and I might just pinch a few of your ideas
            for the courses I run with staff (not ESLstudents.) They also need
            simplicity and clarity.

            Incidentally I teach using WebCT and I think you do have a fair bit of
            control over what your students do and don't see. But that's my opinion.

            Thanks for sharing this site Ron.

            - Michael Coghlan.
          • eaglerrf
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 19, 2002
              Thank you for taking a look at the still under construction web site.
              I have made some corrections as noted and will change the yucky yellow
              background. I am going to add a checklist for the students to use
              when checking other student's work. I feel I'm on the right track
              anyway. I'm also going to read up (my summer reading)on assessing
              student's work for this kind of environment. Would also like to
              incorporate a web cam at two different school locations. Or is anyone
              else using web cams and would like to connect?
              Ron Fujihara
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 22, 2002
                Hi Ron,

                I had a look at your site as well. I've added mention of your site to your
                information page here:
                http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/community.htm#ron_fujihara

                Good luck with your projects, and keep us updated on your progress.

                Vance