Re: Software for internet-based courses

  • eaglerrf
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 17, 2002
      Hello everyone! I've been rather busy and unable to participate in
      this listserv since I joined a few months ago. I want to respond to
      the software issue.
      When I first began working with ESL students in an online environment,
      I used commercial software to develop the site for my students. I've
      used Blackboard and E-College and I liked them both. I needed more
      control over how information was being delivered to my students and
      decided to create my own online course by creating simple to read web
      pages. The commercial software tends to have too much distraction and
      too much information not needed by ESL students. The students like the
      simple approach and can hardly wait to get started (me too). I am
      enjoying the learning aspect of constructing my own site using
      Dreamweaver. It is still under construction and if you would like to
      take a look at it, I would appreciate any comments. http://www.m-z.biz
      Just click where it says "Test Site" or click on the construction
      image. Thanks. Ron Fujihara
    • Clare James
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 17, 2002
        Ron --

        Ideas, design, general impressions
        I like it the general idea. Looks friendly and helpful, makes sense,
        good mission statement. But you could lose the distracting yellow
        wallpaper. In places you might choose simpler words -- "choose" instead
        of "select", "join" instead of "participate", etc. And why the
        hole-in-the-road pic on your home page?

        Minor details:
        I'd rewrite the sentence after "Expected . . ." as
        ". . . and lifelong learners who can apply their acquired skills to
        real-world situations."
        (But I'm British.)
        And No. 2 on the Assignment Page as "Please write your name at the top
        of the page on all assignments you send me."
        On the Assignment Page you've written " wrtten".
        That sort of thing.

        All for now.
        Best,
        Clare

        Clare James, BSc (Econ), Dipl. RSA, translator@...
        English-language consultant, authorised public translator from Swedish
        into English, EFL teacher, writer, editor, writing coach, moderator of
        Sweet Clarity (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SweetClarity) and blogger
        (http://www.english-for-you.blogspot.com/)
      • Clare James
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 17, 2002
          (Oops -- too early in the morning for optimal brain function!) I like
          the general idea, I mean.
          CJ
        • Rita Zeinstejer
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 18, 2002
            Hi, Ron
            I am an EFL teacher in Argentina, still in the process of learning and pressing institutional organizers for the appropriate resources to be able to put into practice everything we are all sharing in this enriching community. In my situation, I do not yet have the experience to produce practical evaluations, but from everything I´ve seen so far, and considering our stds' needs as learners of a foreign language, I can tell you this is one of the most practical layouts I have seen and which would meet our own needs, as to the distribution of areas and instructions for stds to find their way clearly. I also find the whole site easy to navigate, the structure of the Assignment Page precise, and the aims in each working area very helpful.Congrats!
            Rita

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Syllabus:

          • Michael Coghlan
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 18, 2002
              At 05:01 AM 18/07/2002 +0000, you wrote:
              >Hello everyone! I've been rather busy and unable to participate in
              >this listserv since I joined a few months ago. I want to respond to
              >the software issue.
              >When I first began working with ESL students in an online environment,
              >I used commercial software to develop the site for my students. I've
              >used Blackboard and E-College and I liked them both. I needed more
              >control over how information was being delivered to my students and
              >decided to create my own online course by creating simple to read web
              >pages. The commercial software tends to have too much distraction and
              >too much information not needed by ESL students. The students like the
              >simple approach and can hardly wait to get started (me too). I am
              >enjoying the learning aspect of constructing my own site using
              >Dreamweaver. It is still under construction and if you would like to
              >take a look at it, I would appreciate any comments. http://www.m-z.biz
              >Just click where it says "Test Site" or click on the construction
              >image. Thanks. Ron Fujihara

              Ron - I really like what you are doing here. Particularly how you explain
              for example what the purpose of the message board is. Love the idea of the
              daily agenda too.

              You are illustrating some excellent navigation principles too (providing
              multiple paths to the same info) and I might just pinch a few of your ideas
              for the courses I run with staff (not ESLstudents.) They also need
              simplicity and clarity.

              Incidentally I teach using WebCT and I think you do have a fair bit of
              control over what your students do and don't see. But that's my opinion.

              Thanks for sharing this site Ron.

              - Michael Coghlan.
            • eaglerrf
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 19, 2002
                Thank you for taking a look at the still under construction web site.
                I have made some corrections as noted and will change the yucky yellow
                background. I am going to add a checklist for the students to use
                when checking other student's work. I feel I'm on the right track
                anyway. I'm also going to read up (my summer reading)on assessing
                student's work for this kind of environment. Would also like to
                incorporate a web cam at two different school locations. Or is anyone
                else using web cams and would like to connect?
                Ron Fujihara
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 22, 2002
                  Hi Ron,

                  I had a look at your site as well. I've added mention of your site to your
                  information page here:
                  http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/community.htm#ron_fujihara

                  Good luck with your projects, and keep us updated on your progress.

                  Vance