Software for internet-based courses

  • dygonza
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 15, 2002
      Dear Webheads,
      I found this information about a software package (Moodle)for
      producing internet-based courses and websites, which will be availabe
      very soon, for free. The information is at this site:

      http://moodle.com/

      bfn,
      Daf
    • eaglerrf
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 17, 2002
        Hello everyone! I've been rather busy and unable to participate in
        this listserv since I joined a few months ago. I want to respond to
        the software issue.
        When I first began working with ESL students in an online environment,
        I used commercial software to develop the site for my students. I've
        used Blackboard and E-College and I liked them both. I needed more
        control over how information was being delivered to my students and
        decided to create my own online course by creating simple to read web
        pages. The commercial software tends to have too much distraction and
        too much information not needed by ESL students. The students like the
        simple approach and can hardly wait to get started (me too). I am
        enjoying the learning aspect of constructing my own site using
        Dreamweaver. It is still under construction and if you would like to
        take a look at it, I would appreciate any comments. http://www.m-z.biz
        Just click where it says "Test Site" or click on the construction
        image. Thanks. Ron Fujihara
      • Clare James
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 17, 2002
          Ron --

          Ideas, design, general impressions
          I like it the general idea. Looks friendly and helpful, makes sense,
          good mission statement. But you could lose the distracting yellow
          wallpaper. In places you might choose simpler words -- "choose" instead
          of "select", "join" instead of "participate", etc. And why the
          hole-in-the-road pic on your home page?

          Minor details:
          I'd rewrite the sentence after "Expected . . ." as
          ". . . and lifelong learners who can apply their acquired skills to
          real-world situations."
          (But I'm British.)
          And No. 2 on the Assignment Page as "Please write your name at the top
          of the page on all assignments you send me."
          On the Assignment Page you've written " wrtten".
          That sort of thing.

          All for now.
          Best,
          Clare

          Clare James, BSc (Econ), Dipl. RSA, translator@...
          English-language consultant, authorised public translator from Swedish
          into English, EFL teacher, writer, editor, writing coach, moderator of
          Sweet Clarity (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SweetClarity) and blogger
          (http://www.english-for-you.blogspot.com/)
        • Clare James
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 17, 2002
            (Oops -- too early in the morning for optimal brain function!) I like
            the general idea, I mean.
            CJ
          • Rita Zeinstejer
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 18, 2002
              Hi, Ron
              I am an EFL teacher in Argentina, still in the process of learning and pressing institutional organizers for the appropriate resources to be able to put into practice everything we are all sharing in this enriching community. In my situation, I do not yet have the experience to produce practical evaluations, but from everything I´ve seen so far, and considering our stds' needs as learners of a foreign language, I can tell you this is one of the most practical layouts I have seen and which would meet our own needs, as to the distribution of areas and instructions for stds to find their way clearly. I also find the whole site easy to navigate, the structure of the Assignment Page precise, and the aims in each working area very helpful.Congrats!
              Rita

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Syllabus:

            • Michael Coghlan
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 18, 2002
                At 05:01 AM 18/07/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                >Hello everyone! I've been rather busy and unable to participate in
                >this listserv since I joined a few months ago. I want to respond to
                >the software issue.
                >When I first began working with ESL students in an online environment,
                >I used commercial software to develop the site for my students. I've
                >used Blackboard and E-College and I liked them both. I needed more
                >control over how information was being delivered to my students and
                >decided to create my own online course by creating simple to read web
                >pages. The commercial software tends to have too much distraction and
                >too much information not needed by ESL students. The students like the
                >simple approach and can hardly wait to get started (me too). I am
                >enjoying the learning aspect of constructing my own site using
                >Dreamweaver. It is still under construction and if you would like to
                >take a look at it, I would appreciate any comments. http://www.m-z.biz
                >Just click where it says "Test Site" or click on the construction
                >image. Thanks. Ron Fujihara

                Ron - I really like what you are doing here. Particularly how you explain
                for example what the purpose of the message board is. Love the idea of the
                daily agenda too.

                You are illustrating some excellent navigation principles too (providing
                multiple paths to the same info) and I might just pinch a few of your ideas
                for the courses I run with staff (not ESLstudents.) They also need
                simplicity and clarity.

                Incidentally I teach using WebCT and I think you do have a fair bit of
                control over what your students do and don't see. But that's my opinion.

                Thanks for sharing this site Ron.

                - Michael Coghlan.
              • eaglerrf
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 19, 2002
                  Thank you for taking a look at the still under construction web site.
                  I have made some corrections as noted and will change the yucky yellow
                  background. I am going to add a checklist for the students to use
                  when checking other student's work. I feel I'm on the right track
                  anyway. I'm also going to read up (my summer reading)on assessing
                  student's work for this kind of environment. Would also like to
                  incorporate a web cam at two different school locations. Or is anyone
                  else using web cams and would like to connect?
                  Ron Fujihara
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 22, 2002
                    Hi Ron,

                    I had a look at your site as well. I've added mention of your site to your
                    information page here:
                    http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/community.htm#ron_fujihara

                    Good luck with your projects, and keep us updated on your progress.

                    Vance