Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Sky TV inrerview Lebanon

  • vstevens@emirates.net.ae
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 16, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      This is just to let you know that I am back sitting in my office at
      the Petroleum Institute, and whereas it means back to the old grind
      it's also comforting to be back in control of things and to not be
      living out of a backpack. Nice to be reacquainted with my laptop as
      well.

      Nice also to be able to view videos on the Internet again. I thought
      in this one the reporter lost sight of who was being interviewed. The
      idea of interviewing (I thought) was to suppress one's own urge to get
      one's point across and to probe the perspective of the interviewee,
      like it or not, and then move on to the next personality, which may or
      may not provide counterpoint.

      People who know me will know my views on the topic of the invasion of
      Lebanon, and I won't repeat them here. However, what interests me in
      the perspective of webheads is how it illustrates how the world is
      getting so interconnected through communities such as ours that we are
      indeed subverting the traditional media, which used to be our sole
      source of information, and which is understood to be subject to
      manipulation in a way that information provided by one's peers is
      not. Interestingly you might think that peers could be more
      manipulative, and in certain milieus this might be case, but not with
      a group as dispersed and with as much credibility as our community.
      In practice, it works more like the way the judiciary in many
      countries relies on the jury system, on the assumption that an
      aggregate of common people is less prone to manipulation and tends
      more to even-handed perspective than would be a system where
      perspectives were set top-down from positions of power (as is often
      the case with entrenched media).

      In the interest of providing you again with a perspective you might
      not get on your local news channel, and meaning only to report it, not
      comment, the headlines in todays Khaleej Times read "Defeated Israel
      begins pullout as Hezbollah starts rebuilding."

      I don't mean to feed debate on polarizing issues, and I've always
      tried to avoid that with Webheads, but polarization generally occurs
      when long polemics (personal diatribes and copy/pasted ones) get
      distributed on lists. I don't think that reference to media reports
      elsewhere and particularly to blogs counts as either. Also, I might
      point out that all perspectives are welcome here, especially if they
      are reasoned and direct us to sources which we can access or ignore as
      we wish.

      Mark Warschauer used to direct people's attention to various reports
      on the changing nature of media and information distribution when he
      was maintaining his Papyrus News. His coverage of issues and
      perspectives he revealed were always intriguing and instructive in the
      sense that they gave insights into how the Internet is serving to
      reconstruct our worldview. I am glad to see that his approach to
      issues is being emulated here.

      It's good to see that Webheads contributes to this development, and in
      particular that as teachers with influence over how others view their
      world, that these perspectives are being used to challenge young minds
      in the classroom.

      carry on,

      From: Candace Pauchnick <pauchnick@...>
      Date: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:16 am