EgypTesol Electronic Oasis (EO) December 2002

  • Ismail Fayed
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2002
      Dear all,

      I would like you all to know about this friendly event the EgypTesol is prepraing every year.
      Have fun,
      Ismail.

      Dear all,

      Please find attached the call for participation for the Electronic Oasis
      December 2002. Please forward to all the lists of English Language
      Professionals that you have access to.

      Many thanks

      Inas

      Dr. Inas Barsoum
      Chair- edtechsig - EgypTesol
      & Head
      Languages and Humanitites Department
      College of Management and Technology
      Arab Academy for Science and Technology and Maritime Transport
      Dokki - Cairo
      Egypt
      Arab Academy for Science & Technology and Maritime Transport
      Visit us at : http://www.aast.edu
      Any sugesstion , please send to webmaster@...

      Call for Participation in EgypTesol Electronic Oasis (EO) December 2002

      Dear Colleagues,

      It is indeed my pleasure to announce send out to you the Call for participation for the Fourth Electronic Oasis (EO) organized by the Education Technology Special Interest Group of EgypTesol during the upcoming EgypTesol Conference (December 13- 15 2002) at Sheraton Heliopolis www.egyptesol.org . As usual, our EO is our excellent chance, ELT professionals interested in implementing technology in our teaching, to get together and to demonstrate/share with other colleagues some of our CALL (computer assisted language learning) practices and experiences.

      The Electronic Oasis December 2002, is inviting proposals for workshops and demos.

      The EO2002 has been structured this year to provide TEFL educators with hands-on training through workshops on using technology to enhance their performance at the workplace. In addition, presentations and demos are also welcomed.

      The demos and workshops are going to be held concurrent with the conference's sessions and workshops. EO is going to be held in two computer labs The first will be devoted to demonstrations (45 min each) for which we have an internet connection only on the instructor's computer. The second computer lab (10-15 stations) is going to be devoted to conducting hands on workshop/training.(90 min each) related to the use of computer in English Language teaching. We might not be able to have an Internet connection in this lab.

      Presenters can apply for one ore more slots during the three days of the conference.

      The following are a few examples of titles of workshops
      Using Advanced Word to Improve Writing,
      Using a certain Software to **..,
      PowerPoint in Interactive Classroom Activities,
      Using Excel and Access to Create Grade Report and Keep Track of Students
      Creating Web Page using Netscape navigator
      Creating PowerPoint Presentations,
      Using Clip Arts, Audio/Video Files in Word Documents

      Please fill in the attached application form and e-mail it to eo2002@...

      Deadline for submitting proposals for participation in the EO2002 activities is August 18th, 2002.

      Best Practice in TEFL
      December 13 -15, 2002
      CAIRO, EGYPT
      THE ELECTRONIC OASIS
      (EO December, 2002)

      PRESENTATION PROPOSAL

      DETAILS OF PRESENTER(S)
      Main Presenter
      Name:
      Affiliation:
      Address:

      Telephone: Fax:
      Email:

      Joint Presenter(s) if relevant
      Name Institutional Affiliation

      DETAILS OF PRESENTATION
      Title of Presentation (10 words maximum):

      Type of Presentation (choose ONE ):
      " Demonstration (45 minutes)
      " Presentation (45 minutes)
      " Workshop (90 minutes)

      Internet access? YES/NO

      Topic Area:

      Summary for Program Book (50 words maximum)
      Please type or print in block letters.

      Biographical Information for Program Book (35 words maximum)

      Technical skill level of potential audience:
      " Beginners
      " Intermediate
      " Advabced
      " No previous skill needed

      If there is more than one presenter, please include information for EACH presenter using a separate sheet of paper.
    • Ismail Fayed
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 17, 2002
        Dear Vance et al,

        Greetings to everyone. It has been a long time since I followed your
        discussion and the nice posts you are sending, I really missed it all. I
        will be finishing my diploma exams next Saturday and will be ready to
        have some fun again with you all. Anyhow, below is a message I received
        this Call for Participation in EgypTesol Electronic Oasis (EO) December
        2002. I was thinking if we can follow the same idea of having a joined
        session or event similar to the TESOL event that Vance is planning, this
        could be a compensation for me for not participating in the earlier
        event ;)
        So, what do you think. In case you find it make sense, I will need to
        discuss more details or ideas that you would like to offer or offer in
        that event. Also, if so how many would be interested to join and
        participate??

        P.S: Please note that we have a untill Oct. 3 as a deadline to send a
        proposal..

        Best wishes,
        Ismail.

        Dear all,

        I was again approached by many colleagues who asked for another brief
        extension of the deadline for sending proposals for the EO. And here is
        (I
        hope) the last extension.

        This is a final Call for participation for the Electronic Oasis
        December
        2002. I am sending it both as an attachment and in the body of the
        message
        in case you are not able to open attachments.

        If you have any queries/challenges, please don't hesitate to email me
        or
        send an email as specified below in the CAll for Participation.

        Let me take this chance to thank all who already sent proposals. We
        shall be
        reviewing them very soon and sending you news of your acceptance
        inshallah
        and your times of presentation.

        Wishing you all a very happy new academic year. May it bring about
        success
        and satisfaction.

[...]

        is October 3, 2002.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 17, 2002
          Ismail,

          I'm studying my calendar, and I see that this event falls at a most intriguing time for our academic year. First it falls the week after Eid Al Fitr, and so a trip to EgypTesol could be combined with a longer holiday for someone living in the region. Also, Dec 15 at 2 in the afternoon in Cairo Webheads holds its usual weekly noon GMT session. This prompts me to suggest something along the lines of what we did for the Emerging Elearning conference in Abu Dhabi December 8. Here is the abstract for that session ...

          A visit with Webheads online community of practice for language learners and teachers, noon GMT, Sunday September 8, 2002. Abstract: Writing for Webheads is an ongoing 'experiment in world friendship through online language learning' whose participants have been meeting weekly online for over 4 years now. During that time, Webheads have experimented with numerous synchronous and web-based multimedia communications formats, and presented at several live and online conference venues. More recently, the community has formally expanded to embrace language teaching professionals in a community of practice called Webheads in Action. These communities come together online every Sunday for a regular session at noon GMT. If our presentation could be held at this time on Sunday Dec 15, we would have an opportunity at this session to convene members of the community online to demonstrate 'live' our use of free and easily accessible text, video, and voice enhanced synchronous communications technologies, while showing conference delegates around the Webheads community.

          As for my involvement, I can't promise that I could come to Egypt at that time, but I'm sure I could be either there or in Abu Dhabi, and I'd be glad to co-present such an event with you either in person or remotely from here. If I present from Abu Dhabi you have to be on stage in Cairo of course, with caring assistance from Webheads in cyberspace of course.

          This is assuming there will be an Internet connection. We'll need at least one line, no firewall, to the presentation room, plus projection of our screen and voices throughout the room. Or we could do it in a computer lab where people at the session could join the chat, but we'd still need to project the main computer.

          Interestingly, when I submitted a proposal for the CALICO Conference last March, I made it clear that I was NOT planning to travel to California. I planned to present remotely with Claire, our newest Webhead member, pulling strings and pushing buttons for me at the conference itself. The proposal was accepted on that basis, but nearer the date, I found that it would be not only possible but convenient for me to attend in person. So I did (to Claire's great relief).