Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Short videos by internet

    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
      Dennis,

      Thank you for your sweet words. I totally agree with you that seeing and hearing someone and sharing something personal, such as a bookshelf in a living-room behind you, is qualitatively a rich experience. It was my pleasure, no trouble at all. It's also part of the exploration and learning process that Webheads just love.

      I remember that when we started using video four years ago some of us gave mini tours of the room we were in. It was fun. It made the connection even more personal.

      I also listened to Jeff's webcast on desktop management and found that webcasts such as these can be very eye-opening.

      All the tools you mention contribute to a very enriching learning process. I tend to decide which one to use with my beginners partly on the spur of the moment and partly from a feeling of what will make the activity more enjoyable for them and have a more lasting effect.

      Hugs, Teresa

    • Michael Coghlan
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
        I agree with Dennis - what a lovely little movie! It came out
        beautifully Teresa. We should all do one of these. And stick 'em in
        Youtube http://youtube.com/ - a series of webhead intros would be lovely.

        I just tried with my Logitech cam and the result was reasonable.
        Yours was excellent Teresa. Mine is at
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5jB3-uWN1o. Sounds not too good but
        OK for quick and dirty!

        - Michael

        At 08:38 PM 1/08/2006, you wrote:

        >Hi, Mike!
        >
        >I've just followed your suggestion and have been able to reduce the
        >video file I sent Dennis from 7.1 MB to 1.2 MB. Wow!!! And I didn't
        >notice any change in quality. Here's the link where you can see it.
        ><http://teresadeca.motime.com/>http://teresadeca.motime.com/
        >
        >Thank you, Mike!
        >
        >My question now is: are .rv files Mac compatible?
        >
        >Hugs, Teresa
        >
        ><http://forms.real.com/rnforms/products/tools/producerbasic/index.html>http://forms.real.com/rnforms/products/tools/producerbasic/index.html
        >or
        ><http://tinyurl.com/3x2a4>http://tinyurl.com/3x2a4
        >
        >If you want to compare my own results __with these same settings__,
        >you can see for yourself at
        ><http://tinyurl.com/7gqe2>http://tinyurl.com/7gqe2
        >and
        ><http://tinyurl.com/r6znk>http://tinyurl.com/r6znk

        >Checked by AVG Free Edition.

      • Dennis Newson
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
          Michael,

          Thanks for your 30 second, or whatever it is, intro. You agree with me and
          I agree with you! It could be great to have a series of these introductions
          - audio-visual thumbnail sketches, as short and uncomplicated as yours and
          Teresa's.

          You both have Logitech cams. I like their products - but do yoj both mind
          saying which Logitech cam (I want one!) and whether your are a Mac or PC
          person.

          Teresa mentioned she made her movie with software that came with the cam.
          How did you make yours, Michael?

          This thread reminds me, there is a useful free site wwhere you can make one
          minute videos.

          See:

          http://www.blogcheese.com

          If I remember correctly, I found a link to this site on Elisabeth's
          (Hanson-Smith) homepage.

          While I'm writing, thanks Michael, too, for the reference to PowerGramo (for
          recording Skype conversations). I now use it regularly, with good results.

          http://www.powergramo.com/

          (Free).

          Greetings,

          Dennis

        • John Hibbs
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
            Michael, you looked great! Nice work, all. Very nice.

            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
              Dear Michael,

              I'm glad that I inspired you to record your nice and pleasant video. It's great to see and hear friends! :-)

              Hugs, Teresa

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5jB3-uWN1o

            • smokolo
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                Dear friends,

                I have good news - my proposal for "Learning Objects: Methods and
                Discovery" at TESOL-Italy's XXXI National Convention to be held in
                Naples on November 3rd and 4th, 2006 has been accepted. www.tesol.it

                So I will be presenting my work in progress, a Learning Object that I
                am now building with the guidance of the crew at University of
                Nottingham in England (in particular, Thomas Koller who has been
                working with me to improve both my work and his editor!) This has been
                so much fun for me and I am so grateful to Thomas and his crew....I
                feel truly lucky. Will keep you informed and once the LO is finished
                I will send on the link.

                thanks to you, my cyberspace friends who have inspired me so much....
                hugs, Susan
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                  Dear Susan,

                  That's great news about Tesol Italy! Congrats! I look forward to seeing your LO.

                  Hugs, Teresa

                • Moira Hunter
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Talking about short videos , this is my favourite at the moment - it really wakes me up!!

                    http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=-7836547273687836884

                    Moira

                    Visit Your Group

                    Distance learning education
                    Accredited distance learning
                    Distance learning
                    Distance learning master degree
                    Distance learning education online

                    Ads on Yahoo!
                    Learn more now.
                    Reach customers
                    searching for you.

                    Yahoo! Mail
                    Next gen email?
                    Try the all-new
                    Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                    Y! Messenger
                    All together now
                    Host a free online
                    conference on IM.

                    .

                  • Dennis Newson
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                      Moira,

                      Do you accept responsibility for making me laugh so loud so early in the
                      day?

                      Thanks!

                      Incidentally, for hamster lovers, owners or carers of chuildren who love
                      hamsters there is a marvellous childrens' book by Lynn Reid Banks (author of
                      The L-shaped Room) - Houdini. I don't know if it is still in print, though.

                      Dennis

                    • Cheryl Oakes
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 3, 2006
                        Susan, This is great news! Go webheads.
                        Cheryl
                      • Cheryl Oakes
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 3, 2006
                          Thanks for some alternatives. I'll check them out. Windows Media
                          Player still won't play on Mac os X, disappointing.

                          Cheryl