Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Your suggestion video/audio conferencing server and Gong

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
      Venny - I'm going to add an obvious one. Elluminate for 1.
      Windows+Mac+Linux + Audio+ Video. I still think it's the best of the
      e-conferencing tools. It's video may not be the best, but its audio
      is far and away the best IMHO. And its very stable on all platforms
      and all connection speeds.

      - Michael

      At 06:26 PM 1/08/2006, you wrote:

      >Hi David and webheads:
      >
      >Thanks for your suggestons. Gong is a voiced forum, but not a
      >e-conferencing software. It requires a java server if you want to install it.
      >
      >So far, the e-conferencing softwares suggested are:
      >1. Windows+Mac+Linux + Audio+ Video.
      >Marratech: <http://www.marratech.com/>http://www.marratech.com/
      >2. Win+Mac + Audio+Video
      >Breeze:
      ><http://www.adobe.com/products/breeze/>http://www.adobe.com/products/breeze/
      >3. Win+Mac + Audio
      >
      >iVocalize: <http://www.ivocalize.com/>http://www.ivocalize.com/
      >
      >DiscoverE-Activ:
      ><http://geoffreykaye.ivocalize.net/>http://geoffreykaye.ivocalize.net/
      >
      >4. Win + Audio
      >
      >Chatterbox: <http://www.howudodat.com>http://www.howudodat.com
      >DiscoverE: <http://www.compued.com.au/demo/>http://www.compued.com.au/demo/

      >The heart of education is made up of two elements:
      >love and a willingness to set an example for children.
      >
      >Su, Cheng-chao
      ><http://www.opensource.idv.tw/>http://www.opensource.idv.tw/
      >http://TaiMOO.ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/

    • Barbara Dieu
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 7, 2006
        Hi Vance,
        Hope you had a great holiday. How was your 6-day trek ?

        Ours at Marratech on Sunday 30th took about two hours. Peter
        Cunningham , who represents the platform in France, joined us at
        Tappedin on the dot. David, Teresa, Moira and I were joined by Nina,
        Carla, Isabel and downloaded a Java Applet of about 10+ Megabye to
        enter the conference room. Claire and Erika arrived shortly after but
        did not manage to join us.

        Marratech is a video-conferencing tool which needs a java applet (you
        need only click on this link
        http://portal-uk.marratech.com/launch.jsp?sid=13 or copy and paste
        it in your Internet browser) . You will download an applet Java
        'MeetNow !' (java.exe) in your browser bringing you into the meeting
        room. You will need Java 1.5 on your computer which you can download
        here: www.java.com.

        If you cannot accept the download of a Java applet, you can download
        the Marratech Client on www.marratech.com , launch the Marratech
        Client from your start menu and then add copy and paste this link in
        the Marratech Viewer http://portal-uk.marratech.com/launch.jsp?sid=13

        You can access it from any current laptop or PC running Mac OSX 10.3+
        (G4), Linux or Microsoft Windows (Pentium III or above)

        The conferencing room allows many webcams and the sound (VOiP) is of
        excellent quality. There's a public and private text and audio chat
        and the whiteboard is enormous, allowing all participants to work on a
        document at the same time (you can see who added what as the name
        appears when you run the cursor over the object). You can share
        applications directly from your hard disk, go on webtours and save
        particular documents and also the recorded session on your hard disk
        (you have to transform it with Camtasia later if you want to upload it
        to the web, though). It can be also easily integrated with the Smart
        Board.

        It is definitely more collaborative than other platforms I have seen
        and apparently many educational institutions in Europe and the States
        have adopted it (all Scottish schools for instance). The only problem
        is the price but Peter told me we can use the rooms to experiment with
        and even download the client software to a server in order to see how
        it runs.

        VoilĂ ! Tere and girls, would you have anything else to add? Tere was
        asking about security but I did not follow the conversation as I was
        chatting with Claire at Tappedin at that moment :-)
        Warm regards from Brazil,
        Bee

        Barbara Dieu
        http://dekita.org
        http://beewebhead.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 7, 2006
          Hi, Bee!

          Re: security and intrusion, if I recall correctly, Peter said that anyone can come into the public rooms, so to say, but if we have a room of our own, it's the same as with Alado and Elluminate: only who we want.

          I enjoyed the platform with all the feactures that your refer and seeing all the friendly faces.

          Hugs, Teresa

        • Venny Sou
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 7, 2006
            Hi:

            Have you tried Breeze? Here is a 15-day trial room I applied:

            http://breeze24643250.breezecentral.com/chat/

            You can also put a course with ppt or other files like a recording session:
            http://breeze24643250.breezecentral.com/mycourse/

            Take a look, and you'll like it!

            Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> wrote:
[...]

            Voil? Tere and girls, would you have anything else to add? Tere was