Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Short videos by internet

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
      Teresa,

      Sorry I didn't answer before.

      Your video was clear and focussed and is really moving, somehow. I love
      emailing, but to be able to see and hear someone you read and see the books
      on their shelves - a lot of shelves and a lot of books - is, qualitatively,
      a very rich experience.

      Thank you so much for taking the trouble.

      I think I have written before that I am a great fan of the 15-20 minute
      video (in an educational context) - but these personal communicaitons of a
      minute or so are great, too.

      I've fallen, as well, for Jeff Lebow's (Webnet Academy) screencasts videoed,
      dynamic screenshots plus oral recordedcommentary.

      PowerPoint, screencasts, video, slidestories, podcasts, blogs, wikis, Flickr
      - What a wonderful array of presentational and illustrative resources we
      have available - and my list is not complete.

      What we need now is a project where these tools can be put to making a
      useful contribution.

      Dennis

      Soory Gmail won't remove your post.

      --

      Dennis Newson (retired)
      University Osnabrück

    • Michael Marzio
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
        > My question now is: are .rv files Mac compatible?

        That's one of the advantages of using Real Networks' Producer -

        RV, RM and RAM files created with the Real Producer are indeed mac
        compatible.

        -AND... for those who are allergic to the Real Player, the Real
        Alternative Player - also called "Media Player Classic" also existes
        for the mac.
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
          Dennis,

          Thank you for your sweet words. I totally agree with you that seeing and hearing someone and sharing something personal, such as a bookshelf in a living-room behind you, is qualitatively a rich experience. It was my pleasure, no trouble at all. It's also part of the exploration and learning process that Webheads just love.

          I remember that when we started using video four years ago some of us gave mini tours of the room we were in. It was fun. It made the connection even more personal.

          I also listened to Jeff's webcast on desktop management and found that webcasts such as these can be very eye-opening.

          All the tools you mention contribute to a very enriching learning process. I tend to decide which one to use with my beginners partly on the spur of the moment and partly from a feeling of what will make the activity more enjoyable for them and have a more lasting effect.

          Hugs, Teresa

        • Michael Coghlan
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
            I agree with Dennis - what a lovely little movie! It came out
            beautifully Teresa. We should all do one of these. And stick 'em in
            Youtube http://youtube.com/ - a series of webhead intros would be lovely.

            I just tried with my Logitech cam and the result was reasonable.
            Yours was excellent Teresa. Mine is at
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5jB3-uWN1o. Sounds not too good but
            OK for quick and dirty!

            - Michael

            At 08:38 PM 1/08/2006, you wrote:

            >Hi, Mike!
            >
            >I've just followed your suggestion and have been able to reduce the
            >video file I sent Dennis from 7.1 MB to 1.2 MB. Wow!!! And I didn't
            >notice any change in quality. Here's the link where you can see it.
            ><http://teresadeca.motime.com/>http://teresadeca.motime.com/
            >
            >Thank you, Mike!
            >
            >My question now is: are .rv files Mac compatible?
            >
            >Hugs, Teresa
            >
            ><http://forms.real.com/rnforms/products/tools/producerbasic/index.html>http://forms.real.com/rnforms/products/tools/producerbasic/index.html
            >or
            ><http://tinyurl.com/3x2a4>http://tinyurl.com/3x2a4
            >
            >If you want to compare my own results __with these same settings__,
            >you can see for yourself at
            ><http://tinyurl.com/7gqe2>http://tinyurl.com/7gqe2
            >and
            ><http://tinyurl.com/r6znk>http://tinyurl.com/r6znk

            >Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          • Dennis Newson
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
              Michael,

              Thanks for your 30 second, or whatever it is, intro. You agree with me and
              I agree with you! It could be great to have a series of these introductions
              - audio-visual thumbnail sketches, as short and uncomplicated as yours and
              Teresa's.

              You both have Logitech cams. I like their products - but do yoj both mind
              saying which Logitech cam (I want one!) and whether your are a Mac or PC
              person.

              Teresa mentioned she made her movie with software that came with the cam.
              How did you make yours, Michael?

              This thread reminds me, there is a useful free site wwhere you can make one
              minute videos.

              See:

              http://www.blogcheese.com

              If I remember correctly, I found a link to this site on Elisabeth's
              (Hanson-Smith) homepage.

              While I'm writing, thanks Michael, too, for the reference to PowerGramo (for
              recording Skype conversations). I now use it regularly, with good results.

              http://www.powergramo.com/

              (Free).

              Greetings,

              Dennis

            • John Hibbs
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
                Michael, you looked great! Nice work, all. Very nice.

                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                  Dear Michael,

                  I'm glad that I inspired you to record your nice and pleasant video. It's great to see and hear friends! :-)

                  Hugs, Teresa

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5jB3-uWN1o

                • smokolo
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Dear friends,

                    I have good news - my proposal for "Learning Objects: Methods and
                    Discovery" at TESOL-Italy's XXXI National Convention to be held in
                    Naples on November 3rd and 4th, 2006 has been accepted. www.tesol.it

                    So I will be presenting my work in progress, a Learning Object that I
                    am now building with the guidance of the crew at University of
                    Nottingham in England (in particular, Thomas Koller who has been
                    working with me to improve both my work and his editor!) This has been
                    so much fun for me and I am so grateful to Thomas and his crew....I
                    feel truly lucky. Will keep you informed and once the LO is finished
                    I will send on the link.

                    thanks to you, my cyberspace friends who have inspired me so much....
                    hugs, Susan
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                      Dear Susan,

                      That's great news about Tesol Italy! Congrats! I look forward to seeing your LO.

                      Hugs, Teresa

                    • Moira Hunter
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                        Talking about short videos , this is my favourite at the moment - it really wakes me up!!

                        http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=-7836547273687836884

                        Moira

                        Visit Your Group

                        Distance learning education
                        Accredited distance learning
                        Distance learning
                        Distance learning master degree
                        Distance learning education online

                        Ads on Yahoo!
                        Learn more now.
                        Reach customers
                        searching for you.

                        Yahoo! Mail
                        Next gen email?
                        Try the all-new
                        Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                        Y! Messenger
                        All together now
                        Host a free online
                        conference on IM.

                        .

                      • Dennis Newson
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                          Moira,

                          Do you accept responsibility for making me laugh so loud so early in the
                          day?

                          Thanks!

                          Incidentally, for hamster lovers, owners or carers of chuildren who love
                          hamsters there is a marvellous childrens' book by Lynn Reid Banks (author of
                          The L-shaped Room) - Houdini. I don't know if it is still in print, though.

                          Dennis

                        • Cheryl Oakes
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 3, 2006
                            Susan, This is great news! Go webheads.
                            Cheryl
                          • Cheryl Oakes
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 3, 2006
                              Thanks for some alternatives. I'll check them out. Windows Media
                              Player still won't play on Mac os X, disappointing.

                              Cheryl