Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Short videos by internet

    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi, Mike!

      I've just followed your suggestion and have been able to reduce the video file I sent Dennis from 7.1 MB to 1.2 MB. Wow!!! And I didn't notice any change in quality. Here's the link where you can see it.
      http://teresadeca.motime.com/

      Thank you, Mike!

      My question now is: are .rv files Mac compatible?

      Hugs, Teresa

      http://forms.real.com/rnforms/products/tools/producerbasic/index.html
      or
      http://tinyurl.com/3x2a4

      If you want to compare my own results __with these same settings__,
      you can see for yourself at
      http://tinyurl.com/7gqe2
      and
      http://tinyurl.com/r6znk

    • Dennis Newson
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
        Teresa,

        Sorry I didn't answer before.

        Your video was clear and focussed and is really moving, somehow. I love
        emailing, but to be able to see and hear someone you read and see the books
        on their shelves - a lot of shelves and a lot of books - is, qualitatively,
        a very rich experience.

        Thank you so much for taking the trouble.

        I think I have written before that I am a great fan of the 15-20 minute
        video (in an educational context) - but these personal communicaitons of a
        minute or so are great, too.

        I've fallen, as well, for Jeff Lebow's (Webnet Academy) screencasts videoed,
        dynamic screenshots plus oral recordedcommentary.

        PowerPoint, screencasts, video, slidestories, podcasts, blogs, wikis, Flickr
        - What a wonderful array of presentational and illustrative resources we
        have available - and my list is not complete.

        What we need now is a project where these tools can be put to making a
        useful contribution.

        Dennis

        Soory Gmail won't remove your post.

        --

        Dennis Newson (retired)
        University Osnabrück

      • Michael Marzio
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
          > My question now is: are .rv files Mac compatible?

          That's one of the advantages of using Real Networks' Producer -

          RV, RM and RAM files created with the Real Producer are indeed mac
          compatible.

          -AND... for those who are allergic to the Real Player, the Real
          Alternative Player - also called "Media Player Classic" also existes
          for the mac.
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
            Dennis,

            Thank you for your sweet words. I totally agree with you that seeing and hearing someone and sharing something personal, such as a bookshelf in a living-room behind you, is qualitatively a rich experience. It was my pleasure, no trouble at all. It's also part of the exploration and learning process that Webheads just love.

            I remember that when we started using video four years ago some of us gave mini tours of the room we were in. It was fun. It made the connection even more personal.

            I also listened to Jeff's webcast on desktop management and found that webcasts such as these can be very eye-opening.

            All the tools you mention contribute to a very enriching learning process. I tend to decide which one to use with my beginners partly on the spur of the moment and partly from a feeling of what will make the activity more enjoyable for them and have a more lasting effect.

            Hugs, Teresa

          • Michael Coghlan
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
              I agree with Dennis - what a lovely little movie! It came out
              beautifully Teresa. We should all do one of these. And stick 'em in
              Youtube http://youtube.com/ - a series of webhead intros would be lovely.

              I just tried with my Logitech cam and the result was reasonable.
              Yours was excellent Teresa. Mine is at
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5jB3-uWN1o. Sounds not too good but
              OK for quick and dirty!

              - Michael

              At 08:38 PM 1/08/2006, you wrote:

              >Hi, Mike!
              >
              >I've just followed your suggestion and have been able to reduce the
              >video file I sent Dennis from 7.1 MB to 1.2 MB. Wow!!! And I didn't
              >notice any change in quality. Here's the link where you can see it.
              ><http://teresadeca.motime.com/>http://teresadeca.motime.com/
              >
              >Thank you, Mike!
              >
              >My question now is: are .rv files Mac compatible?
              >
              >Hugs, Teresa
              >
              ><http://forms.real.com/rnforms/products/tools/producerbasic/index.html>http://forms.real.com/rnforms/products/tools/producerbasic/index.html
              >or
              ><http://tinyurl.com/3x2a4>http://tinyurl.com/3x2a4
              >
              >If you want to compare my own results __with these same settings__,
              >you can see for yourself at
              ><http://tinyurl.com/7gqe2>http://tinyurl.com/7gqe2
              >and
              ><http://tinyurl.com/r6znk>http://tinyurl.com/r6znk

              >Checked by AVG Free Edition.

            • Dennis Newson
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
                Michael,

                Thanks for your 30 second, or whatever it is, intro. You agree with me and
                I agree with you! It could be great to have a series of these introductions
                - audio-visual thumbnail sketches, as short and uncomplicated as yours and
                Teresa's.

                You both have Logitech cams. I like their products - but do yoj both mind
                saying which Logitech cam (I want one!) and whether your are a Mac or PC
                person.

                Teresa mentioned she made her movie with software that came with the cam.
                How did you make yours, Michael?

                This thread reminds me, there is a useful free site wwhere you can make one
                minute videos.

                See:

                http://www.blogcheese.com

                If I remember correctly, I found a link to this site on Elisabeth's
                (Hanson-Smith) homepage.

                While I'm writing, thanks Michael, too, for the reference to PowerGramo (for
                recording Skype conversations). I now use it regularly, with good results.

                http://www.powergramo.com/

                (Free).

                Greetings,

                Dennis

              • John Hibbs
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Michael, you looked great! Nice work, all. Very nice.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Dear Michael,

                    I'm glad that I inspired you to record your nice and pleasant video. It's great to see and hear friends! :-)

                    Hugs, Teresa

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5jB3-uWN1o

                  • smokolo
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                      Dear friends,

                      I have good news - my proposal for "Learning Objects: Methods and
                      Discovery" at TESOL-Italy's XXXI National Convention to be held in
                      Naples on November 3rd and 4th, 2006 has been accepted. www.tesol.it

                      So I will be presenting my work in progress, a Learning Object that I
                      am now building with the guidance of the crew at University of
                      Nottingham in England (in particular, Thomas Koller who has been
                      working with me to improve both my work and his editor!) This has been
                      so much fun for me and I am so grateful to Thomas and his crew....I
                      feel truly lucky. Will keep you informed and once the LO is finished
                      I will send on the link.

                      thanks to you, my cyberspace friends who have inspired me so much....
                      hugs, Susan
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                        Dear Susan,

                        That's great news about Tesol Italy! Congrats! I look forward to seeing your LO.

                        Hugs, Teresa

                      • Moira Hunter
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                          Talking about short videos , this is my favourite at the moment - it really wakes me up!!

                          http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=-7836547273687836884

                          Moira

                          Visit Your Group

                          Distance learning education
                          Accredited distance learning
                          Distance learning
                          Distance learning master degree
                          Distance learning education online

                          Ads on Yahoo!
                          Learn more now.
                          Reach customers
                          searching for you.

                          Yahoo! Mail
                          Next gen email?
                          Try the all-new
                          Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                          Y! Messenger
                          All together now
                          Host a free online
                          conference on IM.

                          .

                        • Dennis Newson
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                            Moira,

                            Do you accept responsibility for making me laugh so loud so early in the
                            day?

                            Thanks!

                            Incidentally, for hamster lovers, owners or carers of chuildren who love
                            hamsters there is a marvellous childrens' book by Lynn Reid Banks (author of
                            The L-shaped Room) - Houdini. I don't know if it is still in print, though.

                            Dennis

                          • Cheryl Oakes
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 3, 2006
                              Susan, This is great news! Go webheads.
                              Cheryl
                            • Cheryl Oakes
                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 3, 2006
                                Thanks for some alternatives. I'll check them out. Windows Media
                                Player still won't play on Mac os X, disappointing.

                                Cheryl