Re: Short videos by internet

  • Michael Marzio
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi Tere and other webheads interested in this thread,

      The Real Media site seems to hide its best freebies, but I found the
      page where you can download the free "basic" Real Producer:

      http://forms.real.com/rnforms/products/tools/producerbasic/index.html
      or
      http://tinyurl.com/3x2a4

      These people are a pain in the neck, obliging you to fill out a form
      before being able to click on the "Download Now" button. After
      installation, things look complicated but it's really very simple.

      Browse for your original video. For best results, this video should
      be an UNcompressed AVI.

      After choosing "Audiences" I suggest you remove the 256 kbs default
      and choose "384 DSL or cable". Curiously, this setting seems to
      provide the same results in terms of video quality as the 512 kbs
      setting in Movie Maker when making WMV video files.

      Don't change anything in the Video Filters settings, but click on
      Clip information if you want the title of your video (or any info
      you choose) to scroll under the video when it plays.

      Then just click on the "encode" button.

      For WMV clips, just use movie maker and choose 512 kbs for output.

      For MOV files (Quicktime for Windows), it's a question of us$30 at
      http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html

      If you want to compare my own results __with these same settings__,
      you can see for yourself at

      http://tinyurl.com/7gqe2
      and
      http://tinyurl.com/r6znk

      After all, video quality is largely a subjective affair.

      Finally, many people in the video community detest the Real Player
      because it comes with the "regular junk" (popups, spyware, etc). I
      don't use it. Instead I use the Real Alternative which plays RM
      files (and most everything else), WITHOUT any of the junk, available
      at:

      http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm
      or
      http://tinyurl.com/2f8gp

      Bises,

      Mike

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Almeida d'Eca"

      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hi, Mike!

        I've just followed your suggestion and have been able to reduce the video file I sent Dennis from 7.1 MB to 1.2 MB. Wow!!! And I didn't notice any change in quality. Here's the link where you can see it.
        http://teresadeca.motime.com/

        Thank you, Mike!

        My question now is: are .rv files Mac compatible?

        Hugs, Teresa

        http://forms.real.com/rnforms/products/tools/producerbasic/index.html
        or
        http://tinyurl.com/3x2a4

        If you want to compare my own results __with these same settings__,
        you can see for yourself at
        http://tinyurl.com/7gqe2
        and
        http://tinyurl.com/r6znk

      • Dennis Newson
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
          Teresa,

          Sorry I didn't answer before.

          Your video was clear and focussed and is really moving, somehow. I love
          emailing, but to be able to see and hear someone you read and see the books
          on their shelves - a lot of shelves and a lot of books - is, qualitatively,
          a very rich experience.

          Thank you so much for taking the trouble.

          I think I have written before that I am a great fan of the 15-20 minute
          video (in an educational context) - but these personal communicaitons of a
          minute or so are great, too.

          I've fallen, as well, for Jeff Lebow's (Webnet Academy) screencasts videoed,
          dynamic screenshots plus oral recordedcommentary.

          PowerPoint, screencasts, video, slidestories, podcasts, blogs, wikis, Flickr
          - What a wonderful array of presentational and illustrative resources we
          have available - and my list is not complete.

          What we need now is a project where these tools can be put to making a
          useful contribution.

          Dennis

          Soory Gmail won't remove your post.

          --

          Dennis Newson (retired)
          University Osnabrück

        • Michael Marzio
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
            > My question now is: are .rv files Mac compatible?

            That's one of the advantages of using Real Networks' Producer -

            RV, RM and RAM files created with the Real Producer are indeed mac
            compatible.

            -AND... for those who are allergic to the Real Player, the Real
            Alternative Player - also called "Media Player Classic" also existes
            for the mac.
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
              Dennis,

              Thank you for your sweet words. I totally agree with you that seeing and hearing someone and sharing something personal, such as a bookshelf in a living-room behind you, is qualitatively a rich experience. It was my pleasure, no trouble at all. It's also part of the exploration and learning process that Webheads just love.

              I remember that when we started using video four years ago some of us gave mini tours of the room we were in. It was fun. It made the connection even more personal.

              I also listened to Jeff's webcast on desktop management and found that webcasts such as these can be very eye-opening.

              All the tools you mention contribute to a very enriching learning process. I tend to decide which one to use with my beginners partly on the spur of the moment and partly from a feeling of what will make the activity more enjoyable for them and have a more lasting effect.

              Hugs, Teresa

            • Michael Coghlan
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
                I agree with Dennis - what a lovely little movie! It came out
                beautifully Teresa. We should all do one of these. And stick 'em in
                Youtube http://youtube.com/ - a series of webhead intros would be lovely.

                I just tried with my Logitech cam and the result was reasonable.
                Yours was excellent Teresa. Mine is at
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5jB3-uWN1o. Sounds not too good but
                OK for quick and dirty!

                - Michael

                At 08:38 PM 1/08/2006, you wrote:

                >Hi, Mike!
                >
                >I've just followed your suggestion and have been able to reduce the
                >video file I sent Dennis from 7.1 MB to 1.2 MB. Wow!!! And I didn't
                >notice any change in quality. Here's the link where you can see it.
                ><http://teresadeca.motime.com/>http://teresadeca.motime.com/
                >
                >Thank you, Mike!
                >
                >My question now is: are .rv files Mac compatible?
                >
                >Hugs, Teresa
                >
                ><http://forms.real.com/rnforms/products/tools/producerbasic/index.html>http://forms.real.com/rnforms/products/tools/producerbasic/index.html
                >or
                ><http://tinyurl.com/3x2a4>http://tinyurl.com/3x2a4
                >
                >If you want to compare my own results __with these same settings__,
                >you can see for yourself at
                ><http://tinyurl.com/7gqe2>http://tinyurl.com/7gqe2
                >and
                ><http://tinyurl.com/r6znk>http://tinyurl.com/r6znk

                >Checked by AVG Free Edition.

              • Dennis Newson
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Michael,

                  Thanks for your 30 second, or whatever it is, intro. You agree with me and
                  I agree with you! It could be great to have a series of these introductions
                  - audio-visual thumbnail sketches, as short and uncomplicated as yours and
                  Teresa's.

                  You both have Logitech cams. I like their products - but do yoj both mind
                  saying which Logitech cam (I want one!) and whether your are a Mac or PC
                  person.

                  Teresa mentioned she made her movie with software that came with the cam.
                  How did you make yours, Michael?

                  This thread reminds me, there is a useful free site wwhere you can make one
                  minute videos.

                  See:

                  http://www.blogcheese.com

                  If I remember correctly, I found a link to this site on Elisabeth's
                  (Hanson-Smith) homepage.

                  While I'm writing, thanks Michael, too, for the reference to PowerGramo (for
                  recording Skype conversations). I now use it regularly, with good results.

                  http://www.powergramo.com/

                  (Free).

                  Greetings,

                  Dennis

                • John Hibbs
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 1, 2006
                    Michael, you looked great! Nice work, all. Very nice.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                      Dear Michael,

                      I'm glad that I inspired you to record your nice and pleasant video. It's great to see and hear friends! :-)

                      Hugs, Teresa

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5jB3-uWN1o

                    • smokolo
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                        Dear friends,

                        I have good news - my proposal for "Learning Objects: Methods and
                        Discovery" at TESOL-Italy's XXXI National Convention to be held in
                        Naples on November 3rd and 4th, 2006 has been accepted. www.tesol.it

                        So I will be presenting my work in progress, a Learning Object that I
                        am now building with the guidance of the crew at University of
                        Nottingham in England (in particular, Thomas Koller who has been
                        working with me to improve both my work and his editor!) This has been
                        so much fun for me and I am so grateful to Thomas and his crew....I
                        feel truly lucky. Will keep you informed and once the LO is finished
                        I will send on the link.

                        thanks to you, my cyberspace friends who have inspired me so much....
                        hugs, Susan
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                          Dear Susan,

                          That's great news about Tesol Italy! Congrats! I look forward to seeing your LO.

                          Hugs, Teresa

                        • Moira Hunter
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                            Talking about short videos , this is my favourite at the moment - it really wakes me up!!

                            http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=-7836547273687836884

                            Moira

                            Visit Your Group

                            Distance learning education
                            Accredited distance learning
                            Distance learning
                            Distance learning master degree
                            Distance learning education online

                            Ads on Yahoo!
                            Learn more now.
                            Reach customers
                            searching for you.

                            Yahoo! Mail
                            Next gen email?
                            Try the all-new
                            Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                            Y! Messenger
                            All together now
                            Host a free online
                            conference on IM.

                            .

                          • Dennis Newson
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
                              Moira,

                              Do you accept responsibility for making me laugh so loud so early in the
                              day?

                              Thanks!

                              Incidentally, for hamster lovers, owners or carers of chuildren who love
                              hamsters there is a marvellous childrens' book by Lynn Reid Banks (author of
                              The L-shaped Room) - Houdini. I don't know if it is still in print, though.

                              Dennis

                            • Cheryl Oakes
                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 3, 2006
                                Susan, This is great news! Go webheads.
                                Cheryl
                              • Cheryl Oakes
                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 3, 2006
                                  Thanks for some alternatives. I'll check them out. Windows Media
                                  Player still won't play on Mac os X, disappointing.

                                  Cheryl