AW: [evonline2002_webheads] Your suggestion video/audio conferencing server and Gong

  • Andreas Busing
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hello,

      Have a look at: < <http://www.dokeos.com/features.php>
      http://www.dokeos.com/features.php>

      An open source LMS in the new release planned for November 2006 you will
      find inter alia a videoconference tool / whiteboard and so on.

      You can create free courses -free hosted-20MB here: <
      http://campus.dokeos.com/>

      They will run the free hosting with the new release including the new
      features December 2006

      Dokeos is an alternative to Moodle.

      B. W.

      Andreas
      Don't tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and let them
      surprise you with their results.
      Unknown

      -end of message-

      _____

      Hi David and webheads:

      Thanks for your suggestons. Gong is a voiced forum, but not a e-conferencing
      software. It requires a java server if you want to install it.

      So far, the e-conferencing softwares suggested are:
      1. Windows+Mac+Linux + Audio+ Video.
      Marratech: http://www.marratec <http://www.marratech.com/> h.com/
      2. Win+Mac + Audio+Video
      Breeze: http://www.adobe. <http://www.adobe.com/products/breeze/>
      com/products/breeze/
      3. Win+Mac + Audio

      iVocalize: http://www.ivocaliz <http://www.ivocalize.com/> e.com/

      DiscoverE-Activ: http://geoffreykaye <http://geoffreykaye.ivocalize.net/>
      .ivocalize.net/

      4. Win + Audio

      Chatterbox: http://www.howudoda <http://www.howudodat.com> t.com
      DiscoverE: http://www.compued. <http://www.compued.com.au/demo/>
      com.au/demo/

      The heart of education is made up of two elements:
      love and a willingness to set an example for children.

      Su, Cheng-chao
      http://www.opensour <http://www.opensource.idv.tw/> ce.idv.tw/
      http://TaiMOO. <http://TaiMOO.ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/> ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/

    • Moira Hunter
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hi Venny,

        I'm using Vyew at the moment with groups but have to use Skype and Festoon in addition to have the webcam and audio. It's web-based, very user-friendly and at the moment free. For those who love slideshows, it has a very 'neat' feature for that.

        Moira

        Venny Sou <venny_sou@...> wrote: Hi David and webheads:

        Thanks for your suggestons. Gong is a voiced forum, but not a e-conferencing software. It requires a java server if you want to install it.

        So far, the e-conferencing softwares suggested are:
        1. Windows+Mac+Linux + Audio+ Video.
        Marratech: http://www.marratech.com/
        2. Win+Mac + Audio+Video
        Breeze: http://www.adobe.com/products/breeze/
        3. Win+Mac + Audio

        iVocalize: http://www.ivocalize.com/

        DiscoverE-Activ: http://geoffreykaye.ivocalize.net/

        4. Win + Audio

        Chatterbox: http://www.howudodat.com
        DiscoverE: http://www.compued.com.au/demo/

        The heart of education is made up of two elements:
        love and a willingness to set an example for children.

        Su, Cheng-chao
        http://www.opensource.idv.tw/
        http://TaiMOO.ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/

      • Michael Coghlan
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
          Venny - I'm going to add an obvious one. Elluminate for 1.
          Windows+Mac+Linux + Audio+ Video. I still think it's the best of the
          e-conferencing tools. It's video may not be the best, but its audio
          is far and away the best IMHO. And its very stable on all platforms
          and all connection speeds.

          - Michael

          At 06:26 PM 1/08/2006, you wrote:

          >Hi David and webheads:
          >
          >Thanks for your suggestons. Gong is a voiced forum, but not a
          >e-conferencing software. It requires a java server if you want to install it.
          >
          >So far, the e-conferencing softwares suggested are:
          >1. Windows+Mac+Linux + Audio+ Video.
          >Marratech: <http://www.marratech.com/>http://www.marratech.com/
          >2. Win+Mac + Audio+Video
          >Breeze:
          ><http://www.adobe.com/products/breeze/>http://www.adobe.com/products/breeze/
          >3. Win+Mac + Audio
          >
          >iVocalize: <http://www.ivocalize.com/>http://www.ivocalize.com/
          >
          >DiscoverE-Activ:
          ><http://geoffreykaye.ivocalize.net/>http://geoffreykaye.ivocalize.net/
          >
          >4. Win + Audio
          >
          >Chatterbox: <http://www.howudodat.com>http://www.howudodat.com
          >DiscoverE: <http://www.compued.com.au/demo/>http://www.compued.com.au/demo/

          >The heart of education is made up of two elements:
          >love and a willingness to set an example for children.
          >
          >Su, Cheng-chao
          ><http://www.opensource.idv.tw/>http://www.opensource.idv.tw/
          >http://TaiMOO.ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/

        • Barbara Dieu
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 7, 2006
            Hi Vance,
            Hope you had a great holiday. How was your 6-day trek ?

            Ours at Marratech on Sunday 30th took about two hours. Peter
            Cunningham , who represents the platform in France, joined us at
            Tappedin on the dot. David, Teresa, Moira and I were joined by Nina,
            Carla, Isabel and downloaded a Java Applet of about 10+ Megabye to
            enter the conference room. Claire and Erika arrived shortly after but
            did not manage to join us.

            Marratech is a video-conferencing tool which needs a java applet (you
            need only click on this link
            http://portal-uk.marratech.com/launch.jsp?sid=13 or copy and paste
            it in your Internet browser) . You will download an applet Java
            'MeetNow !' (java.exe) in your browser bringing you into the meeting
            room. You will need Java 1.5 on your computer which you can download
            here: www.java.com.

            If you cannot accept the download of a Java applet, you can download
            the Marratech Client on www.marratech.com , launch the Marratech
            Client from your start menu and then add copy and paste this link in
            the Marratech Viewer http://portal-uk.marratech.com/launch.jsp?sid=13

            You can access it from any current laptop or PC running Mac OSX 10.3+
            (G4), Linux or Microsoft Windows (Pentium III or above)

            The conferencing room allows many webcams and the sound (VOiP) is of
            excellent quality. There's a public and private text and audio chat
            and the whiteboard is enormous, allowing all participants to work on a
            document at the same time (you can see who added what as the name
            appears when you run the cursor over the object). You can share
            applications directly from your hard disk, go on webtours and save
            particular documents and also the recorded session on your hard disk
            (you have to transform it with Camtasia later if you want to upload it
            to the web, though). It can be also easily integrated with the Smart
            Board.

            It is definitely more collaborative than other platforms I have seen
            and apparently many educational institutions in Europe and the States
            have adopted it (all Scottish schools for instance). The only problem
            is the price but Peter told me we can use the rooms to experiment with
            and even download the client software to a server in order to see how
            it runs.

            Voilà! Tere and girls, would you have anything else to add? Tere was
            asking about security but I did not follow the conversation as I was
            chatting with Claire at Tappedin at that moment :-)
            Warm regards from Brazil,
            Bee

            Barbara Dieu
            http://dekita.org
            http://beewebhead.net
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 7, 2006
              Hi, Bee!

              Re: security and intrusion, if I recall correctly, Peter said that anyone can come into the public rooms, so to say, but if we have a room of our own, it's the same as with Alado and Elluminate: only who we want.

              I enjoyed the platform with all the feactures that your refer and seeing all the friendly faces.

              Hugs, Teresa

            • Venny Sou
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 7, 2006
                Hi:

                Have you tried Breeze? Here is a 15-day trial room I applied:

                http://breeze24643250.breezecentral.com/chat/

                You can also put a course with ppt or other files like a recording session:
                http://breeze24643250.breezecentral.com/mycourse/

                Take a look, and you'll like it!

                Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> wrote:
[...]

                Voil? Tere and girls, would you have anything else to add? Tere was