Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Your suggestion video/audio conferencing server and Gong

  • Venny Sou
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1 1:56 AM
      Hi David and webheads:

      Thanks for your suggestons. Gong is a voiced forum, but not a e-conferencing software. It requires a java server if you want to install it.

      So far, the e-conferencing softwares suggested are:
      1. Windows+Mac+Linux + Audio+ Video.
      Marratech: http://www.marratech.com/
      2. Win+Mac + Audio+Video
      Breeze: http://www.adobe.com/products/breeze/
      3. Win+Mac + Audio

      iVocalize: http://www.ivocalize.com/

      DiscoverE-Activ: http://geoffreykaye.ivocalize.net/

      4. Win + Audio

      Chatterbox: http://www.howudodat.com
      DiscoverE: http://www.compued.com.au/demo/

      The heart of education is made up of two elements:
      love and a willingness to set an example for children.

      Su, Cheng-chao
      http://www.opensource.idv.tw/
      http://TaiMOO.ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/
    • Andreas Busing
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1 2:24 AM
        Hello,

        Have a look at: < <http://www.dokeos.com/features.php>
        http://www.dokeos.com/features.php>

        An open source LMS in the new release planned for November 2006 you will
        find inter alia a videoconference tool / whiteboard and so on.

        You can create free courses -free hosted-20MB here: <
        http://campus.dokeos.com/>

        They will run the free hosting with the new release including the new
        features December 2006

        Dokeos is an alternative to Moodle.

        B. W.

        Andreas
        Don't tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and let them
        surprise you with their results.
        Unknown

        -end of message-

        _____

        Hi David and webheads:

        Thanks for your suggestons. Gong is a voiced forum, but not a e-conferencing
        software. It requires a java server if you want to install it.

        So far, the e-conferencing softwares suggested are:
        1. Windows+Mac+Linux + Audio+ Video.
        Marratech: http://www.marratec <http://www.marratech.com/> h.com/
        2. Win+Mac + Audio+Video
        Breeze: http://www.adobe. <http://www.adobe.com/products/breeze/>
        com/products/breeze/
        3. Win+Mac + Audio

        iVocalize: http://www.ivocaliz <http://www.ivocalize.com/> e.com/

        DiscoverE-Activ: http://geoffreykaye <http://geoffreykaye.ivocalize.net/>
        .ivocalize.net/

        4. Win + Audio

        Chatterbox: http://www.howudoda <http://www.howudodat.com> t.com
        DiscoverE: http://www.compued. <http://www.compued.com.au/demo/>
        com.au/demo/

        The heart of education is made up of two elements:
        love and a willingness to set an example for children.

        Su, Cheng-chao
        http://www.opensour <http://www.opensource.idv.tw/> ce.idv.tw/
        http://TaiMOO. <http://TaiMOO.ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/> ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/

      • Moira Hunter
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1 2:59 AM
          Hi Venny,

          I'm using Vyew at the moment with groups but have to use Skype and Festoon in addition to have the webcam and audio. It's web-based, very user-friendly and at the moment free. For those who love slideshows, it has a very 'neat' feature for that.

          Moira

          Venny Sou <venny_sou@...> wrote: Hi David and webheads:

          Thanks for your suggestons. Gong is a voiced forum, but not a e-conferencing software. It requires a java server if you want to install it.

          So far, the e-conferencing softwares suggested are:
          1. Windows+Mac+Linux + Audio+ Video.
          Marratech: http://www.marratech.com/
          2. Win+Mac + Audio+Video
          Breeze: http://www.adobe.com/products/breeze/
          3. Win+Mac + Audio

          iVocalize: http://www.ivocalize.com/

          DiscoverE-Activ: http://geoffreykaye.ivocalize.net/

          4. Win + Audio

          Chatterbox: http://www.howudodat.com
          DiscoverE: http://www.compued.com.au/demo/

          The heart of education is made up of two elements:
          love and a willingness to set an example for children.

          Su, Cheng-chao
          http://www.opensource.idv.tw/
          http://TaiMOO.ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/

        • Michael Coghlan
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1 6:30 AM
            Venny - I'm going to add an obvious one. Elluminate for 1.
            Windows+Mac+Linux + Audio+ Video. I still think it's the best of the
            e-conferencing tools. It's video may not be the best, but its audio
            is far and away the best IMHO. And its very stable on all platforms
            and all connection speeds.

            - Michael

            At 06:26 PM 1/08/2006, you wrote:

            >Hi David and webheads:
            >
            >Thanks for your suggestons. Gong is a voiced forum, but not a
            >e-conferencing software. It requires a java server if you want to install it.
            >
            >So far, the e-conferencing softwares suggested are:
            >1. Windows+Mac+Linux + Audio+ Video.
            >Marratech: <http://www.marratech.com/>http://www.marratech.com/
            >2. Win+Mac + Audio+Video
            >Breeze:
            ><http://www.adobe.com/products/breeze/>http://www.adobe.com/products/breeze/
            >3. Win+Mac + Audio
            >
            >iVocalize: <http://www.ivocalize.com/>http://www.ivocalize.com/
            >
            >DiscoverE-Activ:
            ><http://geoffreykaye.ivocalize.net/>http://geoffreykaye.ivocalize.net/
            >
            >4. Win + Audio
            >
            >Chatterbox: <http://www.howudodat.com>http://www.howudodat.com
            >DiscoverE: <http://www.compued.com.au/demo/>http://www.compued.com.au/demo/

            >The heart of education is made up of two elements:
            >love and a willingness to set an example for children.
            >
            >Su, Cheng-chao
            ><http://www.opensource.idv.tw/>http://www.opensource.idv.tw/
            >http://TaiMOO.ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/

          • Barbara Dieu
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 7 2:25 PM
              Hi Vance,
              Hope you had a great holiday. How was your 6-day trek ?

              Ours at Marratech on Sunday 30th took about two hours. Peter
              Cunningham , who represents the platform in France, joined us at
              Tappedin on the dot. David, Teresa, Moira and I were joined by Nina,
              Carla, Isabel and downloaded a Java Applet of about 10+ Megabye to
              enter the conference room. Claire and Erika arrived shortly after but
              did not manage to join us.

              Marratech is a video-conferencing tool which needs a java applet (you
              need only click on this link
              http://portal-uk.marratech.com/launch.jsp?sid=13 or copy and paste
              it in your Internet browser) . You will download an applet Java
              'MeetNow !' (java.exe) in your browser bringing you into the meeting
              room. You will need Java 1.5 on your computer which you can download
              here: www.java.com.

              If you cannot accept the download of a Java applet, you can download
              the Marratech Client on www.marratech.com , launch the Marratech
              Client from your start menu and then add copy and paste this link in
              the Marratech Viewer http://portal-uk.marratech.com/launch.jsp?sid=13

              You can access it from any current laptop or PC running Mac OSX 10.3+
              (G4), Linux or Microsoft Windows (Pentium III or above)

              The conferencing room allows many webcams and the sound (VOiP) is of
              excellent quality. There's a public and private text and audio chat
              and the whiteboard is enormous, allowing all participants to work on a
              document at the same time (you can see who added what as the name
              appears when you run the cursor over the object). You can share
              applications directly from your hard disk, go on webtours and save
              particular documents and also the recorded session on your hard disk
              (you have to transform it with Camtasia later if you want to upload it
              to the web, though). It can be also easily integrated with the Smart
              Board.

              It is definitely more collaborative than other platforms I have seen
              and apparently many educational institutions in Europe and the States
              have adopted it (all Scottish schools for instance). The only problem
              is the price but Peter told me we can use the rooms to experiment with
              and even download the client software to a server in order to see how
              it runs.

              Voilà! Tere and girls, would you have anything else to add? Tere was
              asking about security but I did not follow the conversation as I was
              chatting with Claire at Tappedin at that moment :-)
              Warm regards from Brazil,
              Bee

              Barbara Dieu
              http://dekita.org
              http://beewebhead.net
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 7 3:30 PM
                Hi, Bee!

                Re: security and intrusion, if I recall correctly, Peter said that anyone can come into the public rooms, so to say, but if we have a room of our own, it's the same as with Alado and Elluminate: only who we want.

                I enjoyed the platform with all the feactures that your refer and seeing all the friendly faces.

                Hugs, Teresa

              • Venny Sou
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 7 4:27 PM
                  Hi:

                  Have you tried Breeze? Here is a 15-day trial room I applied:

                  http://breeze24643250.breezecentral.com/chat/

                  You can also put a course with ppt or other files like a recording session:
                  http://breeze24643250.breezecentral.com/mycourse/

                  Take a look, and you'll like it!

                  Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> wrote:
[...]

                  Voil? Tere and girls, would you have anything else to add? Tere was