Your suggestion for a "one-off" licensed video or audio conferencing server

  • venny_sou
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 28 6:53 PM
      Dear friends:
      Let me give some more infromation.
      A langauge department is going to buy a "one-off" licensed video or
      audio chatting server and asking for advice. I don't know theri budget,
      and special need. What's your advice for:
      1. Windows+ Mac + Audio+Video

      2. Windows+ Audio+Video

      3. Windows+Mac + Audio
      ex: iVocalize: http://www.ivocalize.com/

      4. Windows + Audio
      ex: Chatterbox: http://www.howudodat.com

      Thanks again for your advice.
    • YD Chen

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 29 4:41 AM
          Venny,
          Yesterday I tested Marratech for a presentation I am thinking of making at
          Cyberlangues this year and was very very impressed with all the
          features.What I especially liked was that it is compatible with Mac, Windows
          and Linux.
          http://www.marratech.com/
          I would like to suggest we play with it maybe tomorrow during Webhead time.
          Vance, what do you think?
          Warm regards from Brazil,
          Bee

          Barbara Dieu
          http://dekita.org
          http://beewebhead.net

        • vstevens@emirates.net.ae
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 29 5:17 AM
            Hi Bee and everyone,

            Thanks for reminding me about Webheads tomorrow. When I travel I am
            off my routine. However, tomorrow there is a weekly animal market in
            Karakol early in the morning, and then we are going to make our way to
            Jete Orguz and up the mountain for a festival taking place there. If
            I am back in Karakol by this time ( 6 in the evening, noon gmt) I will
            head for an cybercafe and touch base at Tapped In.

            I could try but I doubt if I will be able to do much with Marratech
            from the cybercafe here. I strongly encourage YOU and other Webheads
            to run it through its paces and then report back to the group.

            Someone asked about our Flashmeeting session last week. I was unable
            to connect to it because it happened to be using a port blocked in the
            UAE, though I followed the Worldbridges stream fine (but without the
            visuals, or being able to see all the web cams - it sounds like Breeze
            in that respect, but free I believe.

            Thanks to Arnold for hosting that one for us. Will you be hosting the
            Sunday trial of Marratech, Bee? Please do if you wish.

            Vance
            Karakol, Kyrgyzstan

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 29 6:33 AM
              Hi, Bee!

              I'll try to be there. Should we download the free version as well as the MeetNow! setup?

              Hugs, Teresa

              http://www.marratech.com/

            • Moira Hunter
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 29 6:35 AM
                Hello Bee,

                The last time I tried Marratech, it was very 'heavy' and all participants had difficulties getting in for some reason. I know they have made a lot of changes since, so I would be very happy to participate tomorrow.

                Moira

                Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> wrote: Venny,
                Yesterday I tested Marratech for a presentation I am thinking of making at
                Cyberlangues this year and was very very impressed with all the
                features.What I especially liked was that it is compatible with Mac, Windows
                and Linux.
                http://www.marratech.com/
                I would like to suggest we play with it maybe tomorrow during Webhead time.
                Vance, what do you think?
                Warm regards from Brazil,
                Bee

                Barbara Dieu
                http://dekita.org
                http://beewebhead.net

                On 7/28/06, venny_sou <venny_sou@...> wrote:

                > Dear friends:
                > Let me give some more infromation.
                > A langauge department is going to buy a "one-off" licensed video or
                > audio chatting server and asking for advice. I don't know theri budget,
                > and special need. What's your advice for:
                > 1. Windows+ Mac + Audio+Video
                >
                > 2. Windows+ Audio+Video
                >
                > 3. Windows+Mac + Audio
                > ex: iVocalize: http://www.ivocalize.com/
                >
                > 4. Windows + Audio
                > ex: Chatterbox: http://www.howudodat.com
                >
                > Thanks again for your advice.
                >

                > For more information:

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • John Hibbs
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 29 6:59 AM
                  My two cents -- While few doubt that video conferencing will come
                  along and someday be quite ubiquitous, I just can't see all that much
                  merit in it (except for the porn crowd). Still photos of various
                  objects - your dog? new born baby? the lake outside your house? your
                  garden? the dish of goodies just put in front of your plate?

                  It seems to me that the cell phone/camera with the ability to easily
                  upload photographs as you are sailing a boat? sitting on a log on a
                  pretty day? on the steps of a library? in front of a fountain? would
                  offer those on the other side of the world more "presence" than
                  "just" a talking head. So many of you have great visuals, and family
                  albums and make good use of flickr, isn't it a distractive to have a
                  talking head conference/

                  Ya, fine for test driving and one-off use. And maybe fine for one-off
                  keynoting where the attendees would be able to easily view -- but do
                  we want people to see us in our pajamas? hair a mess?

                  :)

                  At 8:41 AM -0300 7/29/06, Barbara Dieu wrote:
                  >Venny,
                  >Yesterday I tested Marratech for a presentation I am thinking of making at
                  >Cyberlangues this year and was very very impressed with all the
                  >features.What I especially liked was that it is compatible with Mac, Windows
                  >and Linux.
                  >http://www.marratech.com/
                  >I would like to suggest we play with it maybe tomorrow during Webhead time.
                  >Vance, what do you think?
                  >Warm regards from Brazil,
                  >Bee
                  >
                  >Barbara Dieu
                  >http://dekita.org
                  >http://beewebhead.net
                  >

                  >On 7/28/06, venny_sou <venny_sou@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Dear friends:
                  >> Let me give some more infromation.
                  >> A langauge department is going to buy a "one-off" licensed video or
                  >> audio chatting server and asking for advice. I don't know theri budget,
                  >> and special need. What's your advice for:
                  >> 1. Windows+ Mac + Audio+Video
                  >>
                  >> 2. Windows+ Audio+Video
                  >>
                  >> 3. Windows+Mac + Audio
                  >> ex: iVocalize: http://www.ivocalize.com/
                  >>
                  >> 4. Windows + Audio
                  >> ex: Chatterbox: http://www.howudodat.com
                  >>
                  >> Thanks again for your advice.
                  >>

                  >> For more information:
                  >> http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm
                  >>
                  >> When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other
                  >> extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete
                  >> this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
                  >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                  >For more information:

                  >extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
                  >delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply -
                  >Thanks!!
                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Barbara Dieu
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 29 9:54 AM
                    Hello,
                    I contacted Peter Cunnigham and he will be with us tomorrow on Marratech to
                    help test drive Marratech
                    His first questions are:
                    a) Approximately how many people are going to participate? Where from?
                    b) What kind of bandwidth connection do you have?

                    I'm waiting for your answers and further instructions from him. Will keep
                    you updated.
                    Bee

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 29 10:03 AM
                      Bee,

                      I'll be there.
                      a) Portugal
                      b) DSL

                      Teresa

                      Hello,
                      I contacted Peter Cunnigham and he will be with us tomorrow on Marratech to
                      help test drive Marratech
                      His first questions are:
                      a) Approximately how many people are going to participate? Where from?
                      b) What kind of bandwidth connection do you have?

                      I'm waiting for your answers and further instructions from him. Will keep
                      you updated.
                      Bee

                      .

                    • Barbara Dieu
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 29 11:32 AM
                        Thanks for the quick feedback, Teresa. I will send it to Peter.

                        Here are the instructions:
                        l. Download Marratech

                        (a) MeetNow !

                        If your browser can accept a java applet then you need only click on this
                        link http://portal-uk.marratech.com/launch.jsp?sid=13 (or copy and paste it
                        in your Internet browser) . You will download an applet Java 'MeetNow !' (
                        java.exe) in your browser bringing you into the meeting room. You will need
                        Java 1.5 on your computer which you can download here: www.java.com

                        (b) Marratech Client

                        If you cannot accept the download of a Java applet, you can download the
                        Marratech Client on www.marratech.com , launch the Marratech Client from
                        your start menu and then add copy and paste this link in the Marratech
                        Viewer http://portal-uk.marratech.com/launch.jsp?sid=13

                        (c) Firewall

                        If you you have difficulty connecting to our server it may be due to your
                        firewall. This server uses TCP port 80 for the first communication,
                        authentication etc and then 12 UDP ports from the range 52000-52999 for all
                        video, voice and data. If you are connecting from home the firewall is very
                        rarely a problem, but a corporate or school network may need the 'dynamic
                        state' or 'allow return' rule to be configured in the firewall.

                        2. Marratech equipment

                        You will need a computer (Mac, Windows or Linux) that meets these
                        sepcifications : http://www.marratech.com/sysreq_client.html

                        You will need a headset and, if you want to send video, a webcam. Most USB
                        webcams work with Windows but with Mac we recommend a firewire camera like
                        the Apple iSight. On Linux we recommend a Logitech 4000 but you will need
                        to download a Linux pilot.

                        You can use an analog or USB headset. If you use a USB headset you should
                        connect this before connecting to Marratech and then check that Marratech
                        has recognised the USB headset in Tools, Options, Audio (Marratech,
                        Preferences and Audio if you use Mac).

                        On 7/29/06, Teresa Almeida d'Eca <tmvaz@...> wrote:

                        > Bee,
                        >
                        > I'll be there.
                        > a) Portugal
                        > b) DSL
                        >
                        > Teresa
                        >

                        > Hello,
                        > I contacted Peter Cunnigham and he will be with us tomorrow on Marratech
                        > help test drive Marratech
                        > His first questions are:
                        > a) Approximately how many people are going to participate? Where from?
                        > b) What kind of bandwidth connection do you have?
                        >
                        > I'm waiting for your answers and further instructions from him. Will
                        > keep
                        > you updated.
                        > Bee
                        >
                        > .

                        > For more information:

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Moira Hunter
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 29 2:22 PM
                          Hello Bee,

                          I'm in the UK at the moment using an ADSL modem (2.2Mbits) connection.

                          Moira :-)

                          Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> wrote: Hello,
                          I contacted Peter Cunnigham and he will be with us tomorrow on Marratech to
                          help test drive Marratech
                          His first questions are:
                          a) Approximately how many people are going to participate? Where from?
                          b) What kind of bandwidth connection do you have?

                          I'm waiting for your answers and further instructions from him. Will keep
                          you updated.
                          Bee

                        • Venny Sou
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 29 5:55 PM
                            I just tested it with Java 'MeetNow', and entered the room. I cannot wait to test with you.

                            Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> wrote:
                            Thanks for the quick feedback, Teresa. I will send it to Peter.

                            Here are the instructions:
                            l. Download Marratech

                            (a) MeetNow !

                            If your browser can accept a java applet then you need only click on this
                            link http://portal-uk.marratech.com/launch.jsp?sid=13 (or copy and paste it
                            in your Internet browser) . You will download an applet Java 'MeetNow !' (
                            java.exe) in your browser bringing you into the meeting room. You will need
                            Java 1.5 on your computer which you can download here: www.java.com

                            (b) Marratech Client

                            If you cannot accept the download of a Java applet, you can download the
                            Marratech Client on www.marratech.com , launch the Marratech Client from
                            your start menu and then add copy and paste this link in the Marratech
                            Viewer http://portal-uk.marratech.com/launch.jsp?sid=13

                            (c) Firewall

                            If you you have difficulty connecting to our server it may be due to your
                            firewall. This server uses TCP port 80 for the first communication,
                            authentication etc and then 12 UDP ports from the range 52000-52999 for all
                            video, voice and data. If you are connecting from home the firewall is very
                            rarely a problem, but a corporate or school network may need the 'dynamic
                            state' or 'allow return' rule to be configured in the firewall.

                            2. Marratech equipment

                            You will need a computer (Mac, Windows or Linux) that meets these
                            sepcifications : http://www.marratech.com/sysreq_client.html

                            You will need a headset and, if you want to send video, a webcam. Most USB
                            webcams work with Windows but with Mac we recommend a firewire camera like
                            the Apple iSight. On Linux we recommend a Logitech 4000 but you will need
                            to download a Linux pilot.

                            You can use an analog or USB headset. If you use a USB headset you should
                            connect this before connecting to Marratech and then check that Marratech
                            has recognised the USB headset in Tools, Options, Audio (Marratech,
                            Preferences and Audio if you use Mac).

                            On 7/29/06, Teresa Almeida d'Eca <tmvaz@...> wrote:

                            > Bee,
                            >
                            > I'll be there.
                            > a) Portugal
                            > b) DSL
                            >
                            > Teresa
                            >

                            > Hello,
                            > I contacted Peter Cunnigham and he will be with us tomorrow on Marratech
                            > help test drive Marratech
                            > His first questions are:
                            > a) Approximately how many people are going to participate? Where from?
                            > b) What kind of bandwidth connection do you have?
                            >
                            > I'm waiting for your answers and further instructions from him. Will
                            > keep
                            > you updated.
                            > Bee
                            >
                            > .

                            > For more information:

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            The heart of education is made up of two elements:
                            love and a willingness to set an example for children.

                            Su, Cheng-chao
                            http://www.opensource.idv.tw/
                            http://TaiMOO.ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 29 6:06 PM
                              >I just tested it with Java 'MeetNow', and entered the room. I cannot wait
                              to test with you.

                              Oh Venny, great!
                              That makes four of us.
                              Just hope my alarm clock does not fail me :-)
                              Bee

                            • vstevens@emirates.net.ae
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 31 5:44 AM
                                Hi Bee,

                                I'm not sure what happened with Webheads yesterday because it was well
                                after the noon GMT time by the time I got through with my excursions
                                in Jete Oguz near Karakol here in Kyrgyzstan. Bobbi and Dusty and I
                                are about to go for a 6 day trek (tomorrow) which is due to return
                                Sunday to Karakol but again I don't know what time. So I'll be away
                                from internet completely the next several days and if I'm back before
                                noon GMT (6 p.m. here) I'll try and connect next Sunday if only to say
                                hello.

                                Best from Vance
                                still in Karakol, Kyrgyzstan

                                licensed video or audio conferencing server

                                > >I just tested it with Java 'MeetNow', and entered the room. I
                                > cannot wait
                                > to test with you.
                                >
                                > Oh Venny, great!
                                > That makes four of us.
                                > Just hope my alarm clock does not fail me :-)
                                > Bee

                              • Venny Sou
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
                                  Hi David and webheads:

                                  Thanks for your suggestons. Gong is a voiced forum, but not a e-conferencing software. It requires a java server if you want to install it.

                                  So far, the e-conferencing softwares suggested are:
                                  1. Windows+Mac+Linux + Audio+ Video.
                                  Marratech: http://www.marratech.com/
                                  2. Win+Mac + Audio+Video
                                  Breeze: http://www.adobe.com/products/breeze/
                                  3. Win+Mac + Audio

                                  iVocalize: http://www.ivocalize.com/

                                  DiscoverE-Activ: http://geoffreykaye.ivocalize.net/

                                  4. Win + Audio

                                  Chatterbox: http://www.howudodat.com
                                  DiscoverE: http://www.compued.com.au/demo/

                                  The heart of education is made up of two elements:
                                  love and a willingness to set an example for children.

                                  Su, Cheng-chao
                                  http://www.opensource.idv.tw/
                                  http://TaiMOO.ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/
                                • Andreas Busing
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
                                    Hello,

                                    Have a look at: < <http://www.dokeos.com/features.php>
                                    http://www.dokeos.com/features.php>

                                    An open source LMS in the new release planned for November 2006 you will
                                    find inter alia a videoconference tool / whiteboard and so on.

                                    You can create free courses -free hosted-20MB here: <
                                    http://campus.dokeos.com/>

                                    They will run the free hosting with the new release including the new
                                    features December 2006

                                    Dokeos is an alternative to Moodle.

                                    B. W.

                                    Andreas
                                    Don't tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and let them
                                    surprise you with their results.
                                    Unknown

                                    -end of message-

                                    _____

                                    Hi David and webheads:

                                    Thanks for your suggestons. Gong is a voiced forum, but not a e-conferencing
                                    software. It requires a java server if you want to install it.

                                    So far, the e-conferencing softwares suggested are:
                                    1. Windows+Mac+Linux + Audio+ Video.
                                    Marratech: http://www.marratec <http://www.marratech.com/> h.com/
                                    2. Win+Mac + Audio+Video
                                    Breeze: http://www.adobe. <http://www.adobe.com/products/breeze/>
                                    com/products/breeze/
                                    3. Win+Mac + Audio

                                    iVocalize: http://www.ivocaliz <http://www.ivocalize.com/> e.com/

                                    DiscoverE-Activ: http://geoffreykaye <http://geoffreykaye.ivocalize.net/>
                                    .ivocalize.net/

                                    4. Win + Audio

                                    Chatterbox: http://www.howudoda <http://www.howudodat.com> t.com
                                    DiscoverE: http://www.compued. <http://www.compued.com.au/demo/>
                                    com.au/demo/

                                    The heart of education is made up of two elements:
                                    love and a willingness to set an example for children.

                                    Su, Cheng-chao
                                    http://www.opensour <http://www.opensource.idv.tw/> ce.idv.tw/
                                    http://TaiMOO. <http://TaiMOO.ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/> ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/

                                  • Moira Hunter
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
                                      Hi Venny,

                                      I'm using Vyew at the moment with groups but have to use Skype and Festoon in addition to have the webcam and audio. It's web-based, very user-friendly and at the moment free. For those who love slideshows, it has a very 'neat' feature for that.

                                      Moira

                                      Venny Sou <venny_sou@...> wrote: Hi David and webheads:

                                      Thanks for your suggestons. Gong is a voiced forum, but not a e-conferencing software. It requires a java server if you want to install it.

                                      So far, the e-conferencing softwares suggested are:
                                      1. Windows+Mac+Linux + Audio+ Video.
                                      Marratech: http://www.marratech.com/
                                      2. Win+Mac + Audio+Video
                                      Breeze: http://www.adobe.com/products/breeze/
                                      3. Win+Mac + Audio

                                      iVocalize: http://www.ivocalize.com/

                                      DiscoverE-Activ: http://geoffreykaye.ivocalize.net/

                                      4. Win + Audio

                                      Chatterbox: http://www.howudodat.com
                                      DiscoverE: http://www.compued.com.au/demo/

                                      The heart of education is made up of two elements:
                                      love and a willingness to set an example for children.

                                      Su, Cheng-chao
                                      http://www.opensource.idv.tw/
                                      http://TaiMOO.ntjcpa.edu.tw:7000/

                                    • Michael Coghlan
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
                                        Venny - I'm going to add an obvious one. Elluminate for 1.
                                        Windows+Mac+Linux + Audio+ Video. I still think it's the best of the
                                        e-conferencing tools. It's video may not be the best, but its audio
                                        is far and away the best IMHO. And its very stable on all platforms
                                        and all connection speeds.

                                        - Michael

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 7, 2006
                                          Hi Vance,
                                          Hope you had a great holiday. How was your 6-day trek ?

                                          Ours at Marratech on Sunday 30th took about two hours. Peter
                                          Cunningham , who represents the platform in France, joined us at
                                          Tappedin on the dot. David, Teresa, Moira and I were joined by Nina,
                                          Carla, Isabel and downloaded a Java Applet of about 10+ Megabye to
                                          enter the conference room. Claire and Erika arrived shortly after but
                                          did not manage to join us.

                                          Marratech is a video-conferencing tool which needs a java applet (you
                                          need only click on this link
                                          http://portal-uk.marratech.com/launch.jsp?sid=13 or copy and paste
                                          it in your Internet browser) . You will download an applet Java
                                          'MeetNow !' (java.exe) in your browser bringing you into the meeting
                                          room. You will need Java 1.5 on your computer which you can download
                                          here: www.java.com.

                                          If you cannot accept the download of a Java applet, you can download
                                          the Marratech Client on www.marratech.com , launch the Marratech
                                          Client from your start menu and then add copy and paste this link in
                                          the Marratech Viewer http://portal-uk.marratech.com/launch.jsp?sid=13

                                          You can access it from any current laptop or PC running Mac OSX 10.3+
                                          (G4), Linux or Microsoft Windows (Pentium III or above)

                                          The conferencing room allows many webcams and the sound (VOiP) is of
                                          excellent quality. There's a public and private text and audio chat
                                          and the whiteboard is enormous, allowing all participants to work on a
                                          document at the same time (you can see who added what as the name
                                          appears when you run the cursor over the object). You can share
                                          applications directly from your hard disk, go on webtours and save
                                          particular documents and also the recorded session on your hard disk
                                          (you have to transform it with Camtasia later if you want to upload it
                                          to the web, though). It can be also easily integrated with the Smart
                                          Board.

                                          It is definitely more collaborative than other platforms I have seen
                                          and apparently many educational institutions in Europe and the States
                                          have adopted it (all Scottish schools for instance). The only problem
                                          is the price but Peter told me we can use the rooms to experiment with
                                          and even download the client software to a server in order to see how
                                          it runs.

                                          Voilà! Tere and girls, would you have anything else to add? Tere was
                                          asking about security but I did not follow the conversation as I was
                                          chatting with Claire at Tappedin at that moment :-)
                                          Warm regards from Brazil,
                                          Bee

                                          Barbara Dieu
                                          http://dekita.org
                                          http://beewebhead.net
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 7, 2006
                                            Hi, Bee!

                                            Re: security and intrusion, if I recall correctly, Peter said that anyone can come into the public rooms, so to say, but if we have a room of our own, it's the same as with Alado and Elluminate: only who we want.

                                            I enjoyed the platform with all the feactures that your refer and seeing all the friendly faces.

                                            Hugs, Teresa

                                          • Venny Sou
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 7, 2006
                                              Hi:

                                              Have you tried Breeze? Here is a 15-day trial room I applied:

                                              http://breeze24643250.breezecentral.com/chat/

                                              You can also put a course with ppt or other files like a recording session:
                                              http://breeze24643250.breezecentral.com/mycourse/

                                              Take a look, and you'll like it!

[...]

                                              Voil? Tere and girls, would you have anything else to add? Tere was