Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Teaching intercultural understanding - and being a tutor for Doris' students

  • Carla arena
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
      Dear Doris,

      It seems that you had a wonderful experience! If you need any help, please
      be in touch.

      Carla

      On 7/2/06, Doris Molero <dorismolero@...> wrote:

      > Dear Sus and Anne!
      >
      > Thanks so much for giving my students the chance to have this great
      > experience at our session in Learning Times. At the beginning they were
      > a little scared and they didn't want to speak. I have to say that this
      > was their first experience using a virtual room. they are familiar with
      > the use of chat but it was a surprise for them to have to talk. They
      > were asking questions one another to help each other on what to write or
      > talk. All of them were engaged in trying to understand and
      > participate.... They're command of the language is basic so they asked
      > for help. I'm sure that next time is going to be more active and they
      > will feel more confident.
      >
      > My students are working on a semester project where they have to select
      > a country they like and research about different topics related to the
      > lessons in their book. We use the New Interchange program as syllabus
      > for our classes. They also have to find a tutor from the country they
      > selected to get info from someone in that coutry so their experiences
      > are meaningful and fun.. Sus volunteer ed to be their tutor and had the
      > chance to meet them through YM, las thursday's experience was their
      > first group contact with Sus and were very happy. After they finish
      > their research they are supposed to present their findings at a Cultural
      > fair.
      >
      > Bee and Buth (skype) had also helped my students in little chats where
      > they asked some questions about their countries and culture. Special
      > thanks to them, too.
      >
      > Well, thanks again my dear Webheads for being here for all us!
      >
      > Keep on shining!
      >
      > Doris3m

    • Dennis Newson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
        I haven't got a class to share, but if ever I can be of any help as a person
        to talk to, to ask questions or put questions to etc. don't hesitate to ask.

        Dennis - best contacted first by email :-)

      • Doris Molero
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
          Hi, Carla and Dennis! Thanks so much for your comments and your offer to
          help my classes. We haven't met yet but this a good way to start. I'm
          adding your names to my list of webheads and hope we ca get together
          sometime.

          What I do when I go to the lab to show how to use chat to learn English,
          is to invite fellow webheads to talk to my students. Students find this
          really exciting.

          Have a good trip Rita and give Sus a big hug for me, please!
          Well, once more, thanks, thanks so much for being there.

          Keep on shining!

          Doris3m