Re: Teaching intercultural understanding - and being a tutor for Doris' students

  • Doris Molero
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
      Dear Sus and Anne!

      Thanks so much for giving my students the chance to have this great
      experience at our session in Learning Times. At the beginning they were
      a little scared and they didn't want to speak. I have to say that this
      was their first experience using a virtual room. they are familiar with
      the use of chat but it was a surprise for them to have to talk. They
      were asking questions one another to help each other on what to write or
      talk. All of them were engaged in trying to understand and
      participate.... They're command of the language is basic so they asked
      for help. I'm sure that next time is going to be more active and they
      will feel more confident.

      My students are working on a semester project where they have to select
      a country they like and research about different topics related to the
      lessons in their book. We use the New Interchange program as syllabus
      for our classes. They also have to find a tutor from the country they
      selected to get info from someone in that coutry so their experiences
      are meaningful and fun.. Sus volunteer ed to be their tutor and had the
      chance to meet them through YM, las thursday's experience was their
      first group contact with Sus and were very happy. After they finish
      their research they are supposed to present their findings at a Cultural
      fair.

      Bee and Buth (skype) had also helped my students in little chats where
      they asked some questions about their countries and culture. Special
      thanks to them, too.

      Well, thanks again my dear Webheads for being here for all us!

      Keep on shining!

      Doris3m

    • Carla arena
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
        Dear Doris,

        It seems that you had a wonderful experience! If you need any help, please
        be in touch.

        Carla

        On 7/2/06, Doris Molero <dorismolero@...> wrote:

        > Dear Sus and Anne!
        >
        > Thanks so much for giving my students the chance to have this great
        > experience at our session in Learning Times. At the beginning they were
        > a little scared and they didn't want to speak. I have to say that this
        > was their first experience using a virtual room. they are familiar with
        > the use of chat but it was a surprise for them to have to talk. They
        > were asking questions one another to help each other on what to write or
        > talk. All of them were engaged in trying to understand and
        > participate.... They're command of the language is basic so they asked
        > for help. I'm sure that next time is going to be more active and they
        > will feel more confident.
        >
        > My students are working on a semester project where they have to select
        > a country they like and research about different topics related to the
        > lessons in their book. We use the New Interchange program as syllabus
        > for our classes. They also have to find a tutor from the country they
        > selected to get info from someone in that coutry so their experiences
        > are meaningful and fun.. Sus volunteer ed to be their tutor and had the
        > chance to meet them through YM, las thursday's experience was their
        > first group contact with Sus and were very happy. After they finish
        > their research they are supposed to present their findings at a Cultural
        > fair.
        >
        > Bee and Buth (skype) had also helped my students in little chats where
        > they asked some questions about their countries and culture. Special
        > thanks to them, too.
        >
        > Well, thanks again my dear Webheads for being here for all us!
        >
        > Keep on shining!
        >
        > Doris3m

      • Dennis Newson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
          I haven't got a class to share, but if ever I can be of any help as a person
          to talk to, to ask questions or put questions to etc. don't hesitate to ask.

          Dennis - best contacted first by email :-)

        • Doris Molero
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
            Hi, Carla and Dennis! Thanks so much for your comments and your offer to
            help my classes. We haven't met yet but this a good way to start. I'm
            adding your names to my list of webheads and hope we ca get together
            sometime.

            What I do when I go to the lab to show how to use chat to learn English,
            is to invite fellow webheads to talk to my students. Students find this
            really exciting.

            Have a good trip Rita and give Sus a big hug for me, please!
            Well, once more, thanks, thanks so much for being there.

            Keep on shining!

            Doris3m