Re: Teaching intercultural understanding - and being a tutor for Doris' students

  • Anne Fox
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2 4:31 AM
      Hi Sus
      Thanks so much for inviting me. I thought the virtual picnic worked
      very well as it brought up several dishes which needed explanation.
      I was also surprised that the Mohamed cartoon row had not made it to
      Venezuela. I thought it was interesting (though not rewarding for
      you in the immediate context) that Doris's students knew so little
      about Denmark but I think that simply reflects the great distance
      between the two cultures and also the fact that Denmark is a small
      European country that many Europeans are ignorant of also.

      I was a silent partner probably due to the fact that I was recording
      in Audacity which may have snatched my ability to transmit voice. In
      a way it was lucky because I didn't know beforehand that Sus was
      going to test me by making me say the dreaded Danish phrase 'roed
      groed med floede' to show how badly I pronounce Danish.

      All in all a very interesting experience which deserved to be
      followed up by Doris's students. I think by the way that another
      good reason for follow up is that I could sense their confidence
      growing as the session went on so it would be good to take advantage
      of that in a follow up session. Oh dear - I'm suggesting more work!

      Anne
      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "susannenyrop"
      <susannenyrop@...> wrote:

      > Hello dear webheads
      >
      > I've been quite silent lately here, working on more local projects.
      > But this week I had a comeback :-) as a tutor /guest teacher
      meeting
      > online with two groups of Doris' students. > They had text chat
      plus a shared microphone, So I'm afraid I was

    • Doris Molero
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2 4:33 PM
        Dear Sus and Anne!

        Thanks so much for giving my students the chance to have this great
        experience at our session in Learning Times. At the beginning they were
        a little scared and they didn't want to speak. I have to say that this
        was their first experience using a virtual room. they are familiar with
        the use of chat but it was a surprise for them to have to talk. They
        were asking questions one another to help each other on what to write or
        talk. All of them were engaged in trying to understand and
        participate.... They're command of the language is basic so they asked
        for help. I'm sure that next time is going to be more active and they
        will feel more confident.

        My students are working on a semester project where they have to select
        a country they like and research about different topics related to the
        lessons in their book. We use the New Interchange program as syllabus
        for our classes. They also have to find a tutor from the country they
        selected to get info from someone in that coutry so their experiences
        are meaningful and fun.. Sus volunteer ed to be their tutor and had the
        chance to meet them through YM, las thursday's experience was their
        first group contact with Sus and were very happy. After they finish
        their research they are supposed to present their findings at a Cultural
        fair.

        Bee and Buth (skype) had also helped my students in little chats where
        they asked some questions about their countries and culture. Special
        thanks to them, too.

        Well, thanks again my dear Webheads for being here for all us!

        Keep on shining!

        Doris3m

      • Carla arena
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2 6:08 PM
          Dear Doris,

          It seems that you had a wonderful experience! If you need any help, please
          be in touch.

          Carla

          On 7/2/06, Doris Molero <dorismolero@...> wrote:

          > Dear Sus and Anne!
          >
          > Thanks so much for giving my students the chance to have this great
          > experience at our session in Learning Times. At the beginning they were
          > a little scared and they didn't want to speak. I have to say that this
          > was their first experience using a virtual room. they are familiar with
          > the use of chat but it was a surprise for them to have to talk. They
          > were asking questions one another to help each other on what to write or
          > talk. All of them were engaged in trying to understand and
          > participate.... They're command of the language is basic so they asked
          > for help. I'm sure that next time is going to be more active and they
          > will feel more confident.
          >
          > My students are working on a semester project where they have to select
          > a country they like and research about different topics related to the
          > lessons in their book. We use the New Interchange program as syllabus
          > for our classes. They also have to find a tutor from the country they
          > selected to get info from someone in that coutry so their experiences
          > are meaningful and fun.. Sus volunteer ed to be their tutor and had the
          > chance to meet them through YM, las thursday's experience was their
          > first group contact with Sus and were very happy. After they finish
          > their research they are supposed to present their findings at a Cultural
          > fair.
          >
          > Bee and Buth (skype) had also helped my students in little chats where
          > they asked some questions about their countries and culture. Special
          > thanks to them, too.
          >
          > Well, thanks again my dear Webheads for being here for all us!
          >
          > Keep on shining!
          >
          > Doris3m

        • Dennis Newson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3 1:57 AM
            I haven't got a class to share, but if ever I can be of any help as a person
            to talk to, to ask questions or put questions to etc. don't hesitate to ask.

            Dennis - best contacted first by email :-)

          • Doris Molero
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 4 8:31 AM
              Hi, Carla and Dennis! Thanks so much for your comments and your offer to
              help my classes. We haven't met yet but this a good way to start. I'm
              adding your names to my list of webheads and hope we ca get together
              sometime.

              What I do when I go to the lab to show how to use chat to learn English,
              is to invite fellow webheads to talk to my students. Students find this
              really exciting.

              Have a good trip Rita and give Sus a big hug for me, please!
              Well, once more, thanks, thanks so much for being there.

              Keep on shining!

              Doris3m